How did Polk Audio distribute all those SDA's and SRS's back then?

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
edited August 2018 in The Clubhouse
We're discussing "shipping costs killing sales of heavy speakers" on another thread. (Trey loosing his mind). :p

I've wondered over the years; Did Polk Audio have their own delivery trucks and drivers back then to keep costs down?

My memory tells me a Stereo Store owner said if I bought a pr. of his biggest SRS's, I'd have to wait for Polk to deliver them when they were making their rounds again. This was in Fredericksburg Va. in about 79' or early 80's.

Does anybody know how they delivered all those beasts and all the Monitor speakers also?

A curious mind wants to know. :)
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Tony M wrote: »
    We're discussing "shipping costs killing sales of heavy speakers" on another thread. (Trey loosing his mind). :p

I've wondered over the years; Did Polk Audio have their own delivery trucks and drivers back then to keep costs down?

My memory tells me a Stereo Store owner said if I bought a pr. of his biggest SRS's, I'd have to wait for Polk to deliver them when they were making their rounds again. This was in Fredericksburg Va. in about 79' or early 80's.

Does anybody know how they delivered all those beasts and all the Monitor speakers also?

Businesses shipping quantity get huge discounts from freight companies. Heck, I had a large pair of SDA's shipped coast to coast for about $200.00 via freight truck.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited August 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »

Businesses shipping quantity get huge discounts from freight companies.
    We subsidize the shipping. You will freak out if i told the rates for our company to ship UPS. That is why our residential rates keep going up. Most companies pick one of the other UPS or FedEx and get better rates with an exclusive contract.

We can ship a one pound next day air envelope across the country for 12.00.
    That same package would cost you 75-100 dollars.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2018
    :o:'(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I remember when you could ship an entire Chrysler Imperial fender from Oregon to NY for $39 via Greyhound. The look on the drivers face was classic! Sorry, I was a Mopar nut before Mopar was cool ( again).
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    I agree with Skip, best way is from dock to dock... You can ship a 4x4x6 pallet just about anywhere for 250 to 350
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.