Need help with TV/Wifi/Cable questions

Options
So, we are tired of the cable bill going up and up and want to ditch it...I guess we can use Wifi or something but as you can tell I know zilch about this stuff. The TV is from 2009 and does not support Wifi but I guess if we get a DVD player that has it then we can go that route.

In other words, what do I do if my wife wants to watch current releases of shows and such? Something like Roku then or what?
Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    Don’t get a disc player. Get a dedicated streamer. Roku, Apple TV, fire tv, or nvidia sheild tv are some of the best options.

Make sure you have good internet, at least 10 mbps but preferably a good bit more. A hard wired connection is best if possible.

Several good options for streaming that are cheaper than cable. I used PlayStation vue for a while and was pretty happy, but I wasn’t able to time shift and that was frustrating. Now I have Hulu and I am pretty happy. I really like the library of commercial free shows and you can also record live tv.

Go to someplace like CNET and look at a comparison. Channels are different and DVR options are different with each one. I think that YouTube and directv now are also good options. Now reason to keep cable at this point unless you can negotiate a good deal...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • starkiller
    starkiller Posts: 2,723
    Options
    thanks, appreciate it!
    Computer room Hegeman 1 SpeakersM&K VX-80 subKenwood DP-7010Cambridge Audio CXC Transport Rega DACPrimaLuna Prologue Four AmpAric Audio Tube PreampGarage Jennings Research SquareCustom tube preampCrown XLS-1000Denon DCD-1500II Modded MSB Link DAC
  • bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    We use a tivo romio Ota and an antenna to watch and record shows. We receive almost all the local channels. $14/mon for the service. Then add Comcast for Internet for $70/mon and we're good.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server