OPPO UDP205

Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
I received an email to purchase one... B)

Comments

• pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    edited August 2018
    Congrats Toolfan. I am still waiting and I have used 3 different emails. I can't complain since I have one, but I did want one more for the bedroom.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    When did u put your name on the list?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • Toolfan66
    Well unfortunately I don't need it as I already have two of these.. :D
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I am sure someone here would happily take it off your hands, or the purchase code or link if that is possible. Not me, but someone...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Larry, if you don't 'need' it and no one here is desperate to get one, buy it and flip it on eBay. They are fetching premium prices ($2000-$3000+) looking at recent sold auctions.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    That might be where mine goes :/:'(
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    edited August 2018
    stretchl wrote: »
    When did u put your name on the list?
    Pretty sure it was back sometime in May...maybe April

Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • Mr_Hz
    Mr_Hz Posts: 176
    edited August 2018
    I signed up for a 205 earlier this year when the announcement was made, then backed out/said I wasn't going through with purchase on a 'check-in' email from Oppo around june/july. I just got another email about an opportunity to purchase (are they getting less response than expected?) and had a change of heart. Purchased this past Monday, and have a shipping confirmation for arrival this Friday. Wow, that's quick.
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    CRS+'s (4.1 TL's) - Office
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    scubalab wrote: »
    Larry, if you don't 'need' it and no one here is desperate to get one, buy it and flip it on eBay. They are fetching premium prices ($2000-$3000+) looking at recent sold auctions.

Those are some CRAZY prices people are paying.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    scubalab wrote: »

Those are some CRAZY prices people are paying.
    As much as I agree with you people are paying it and if someone is willing to pay that much for a player then so be it. Market determines the value and with basically no one else making a killer high end player like this one what else would you be able to buy? I can't find anything at all.
    I grabbed the 203 and I'm extremely happy with it. If I knew how good it was before I purchased it I would have been willing to pay up to $1000.00 for it as again nothing on the market that you can buy thats as good or better.
    What I'm waiting to see if Pioneer Elite is releasing a pretty badass player and hopefully it's a good one. Pioneer Players as of the last so many years have not been top quality like they use to make. Same goes with Sony, they use to make killer players and over the years they have been making nice to ok players. They have 2 nice ones on the market right now in the regular 800 and the 1000es but they don't do Dolby Vision which is stupid as the Sony Z9D TV which I own and is a 2016 model year TV does.
    I hate how all these things are going lately.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Toolfan66
    I went ahead and purchased it yesterday thinking someone would want it, but I came in this morning and canceled the order, for one I didn't want to get stuck with it, and two I don't want to deal with fleabay or paypal, so one went back into the pool..
  • mantis
    My man you could have easily made a profit on it if you where not going to use it yourself.
    Dan
  • mantis
    Now I wonder if any of us will get an email since you cancelled yours. Someone is next in line
    Dan
  • I confirmed on May 9. I received an email today. Your all getting one.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited August 2018
    I put my name on the list for the 205 in late April or early May. Actually, I think it was the first week of may. I know it took several days to get the “confirm email address” email and that is dated May 9th. I immediately confirmed that evening around 6 or 7 PM.

I also put my name on the list for the 203 in early June. When I checked the website yesterday, there was still info on the “Last Batch” of 205s, but nothing for the 203s.

So, I shot Oppo an email. They responded very quickly and the news for me is not looking good. They said they decided not to make any more 203s. :( He also told me there are still just over 2000 people on the list ahead of me. Said there will not be that many left and that it was unlikely they’d get to me unless a lot of people ahead of me decide not to buy when they get the email.

He did say they have approximately 3 days to purchase once they get the email. If they decline, or do not respond within 3 days, their player goes back int the stock for those further down on the list. I got the impression that many would have to pass for me to get a chance to buy one.

Hope this helps those of you wondering where things stand.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    I added my name to the 205 list in late June. Emailed oppo a couple of weeks ago. They politely informed me that with such a late sign up I’m SOL.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • LeftCoast
    LeftCoast Posts: 406
    Five days ago I got a message saying they have not yet decided on the final production run. I made an inquiry based on the news we got that the final run would be in August. Looks like it will go into September. Keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Mr_Hz
    Viking64... hilarious! Love me some Monty Python!
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • Theheadsn
    Theheadsn Posts: 413
    edited September 2018
    I was on the fence for ever on purchasing a 203. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one - not even a week after I hooked it up was when Oppo did their announcement. The run on them was crazy, let alone the amount of money they skyrocketed up too. The Oppo might literally be the best electronic financial buy I ever made, minus maybe to when I was able to buy a PS2 on release day.

Moral of the story, if you can get a 203 or 205 at list price, BUY IT. Even if you dont want one, there are tons of people that do that cant find one. You dont even have to gouge them on a resale price. Most people would be more than willing to cover shipping cost and probably even pay you a decent finders fee.
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
    • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• Mr_Hz
    edited September 2018
    Mr_Hz wrote: »
    I signed up for a 205 earlier this year when the announcement was made... change of heart, blah, blah, blah.. notified & purchased this past Monday (8/27), and have a shipping confirmation for arrival this Friday. Wow, that's quick.

Rec'd on Friday as indicated. Unit looks greats, rock on Garth! Still don't have a 4K TV (just an older 42" Panny Plasma, and their last high end 55" plasma) ... but a 4K (hopefully a 65" OLED) will come ... eventually. Waiting for gen3 and lower prices... 'patiently.'

Post edited by Mr_Hz on
    2.3TL's - Living Room
    SDA1C's - Famdamly Rm
    SDA1C's - Master Bedroom
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Theheadsn wrote: »
    I was on the fence for ever on purchasing a 203. Finally bit the bullet and ordered one - not even a week after I hooked it up was when Oppo did their announcement. The run on them was crazy, let alone the amount of money they skyrocketed up too. The Oppo might literally be the best electronic financial buy I ever made, minus maybe to when I was able to buy a PS2 on release day.

Moral of the story, if you can get a 203 or 205 at list price, BUY IT. Even if you dont want one, there are tons of people that do that cant find one. You dont even have to gouge them on a resale price. Most people would be more than willing to cover shipping cost and probably even pay you a decent finders fee.

Until 8 or 10k comes out :smile:
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Signed up June 6 and got an email to buy on Friday saying I have until Monday at midnight to buy or pass. Decisions, decisions...
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    Signed up June 6 and got an email to buy on Friday saying I have until Monday at midnight to buy or pass. Decisions, decisions...

What is the retail price on those babies?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Listed as $1299
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    sbb2112 wrote: »
    Listed as $1299
    Thanks. I was lazy and posted the question before searching on line. Btw some clown on Amazon is selling one for over 3k! Wow!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I bought mine directly from Oppo late last year. It cost $1,309 plus $33 for shipping. :/
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited September 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I bought mine directly from Oppo late last year. It cost $1,309 plus $33 for shipping. :/

You were robbed, you coulda paid over 3K

bo6mh2p7rf74.jpeg
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • I just received the e-mail to buy one. I'm on the fence. Am I really going to get a major improvement over my 103? Not planning on upgrading my projector to 4k anytime soon.
    Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH
    Monolith 7x200 Amplifier
    Harmony Hub
    Sony VLP-HW40ES
    Visualapex 106" Electric Screen
    Oppo BDP-103
    Music Hall MMF 2.1
    Polk LSiM 705
    Polk LSiM704c
    Polk LSiM702F/X
    SVS PB-2000
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Not unless you are using the analog capabilities of the 205.