My magnifi wireless subwoofer sometimes "crackles".

Is it possible to buy a replacement subwoofer for the magnifi soundbar?

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. It might not be necessary to buy another subwoofer, interference between your network router and the subwoofer can cause crackling and other unwanted sounds. As a test try turning your router off and see if the crackling sounds continue.
    If you need Polk customer service you can reach them at 1-800-377-7655.
    Regards, Ken
  • I am having this same problem. The subwoofer is set up across the room. It's been happening since I bought this product a year ago. Finally getting sick of it and wondering if this is a common problem
  • If you turn off your router does the problem stop?
  • I am having the problem also. My sound bar is about 6 weeks old. Crackling or popping sounds from subwoofer or rear wireless surround speakers. Dog is freaking out. It randomly happens, so I don’t know what triggers it. I don’t think it has anything to do with channel changes. Using optical from new LG TV.
  • If it is the router, what is the fix? Most homes are going to have a router running at the same time. Can’t leave router off.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    elmerparks wrote: »
    If it is the router, what is the fix? Most homes are going to have a router running at the same time. Can’t leave router off.

Been wondering that myself, every time I see a router suggested as a potential problem. Not like anyone streams content these days or uses the internet for anything...
  • henninge
    henninge Posts: 52
    Tokyo47 wrote: »
    I am having this same problem. The subwoofer is set up across the room. It's been happening since I bought this product a year ago. Finally getting sick of it and wondering if this is a common problem

It's incredibly common
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Anytime you have a wireless product in your audio chain, you open yourself up to a host of possible interference problems. That said, are any of you overdriving the sub ? Is the volume set too high....crossover too low ? Is it in too big a room ?

The router suggestion was to help narrow down the problem. If the sub doesn't crackle with the router off, your having some interference going on and it's not necessarily the sub's problem.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I don't think that much is really configurable with these things, @tonyb. You can boost the bass a little, but not enough to make it distort. No crossover settings. There are many wireless products out there, including similar systems from other brands, that just don't suffer from these reported problems.
  • Having the same problem. I've had the magnifi one system for 2 years...on my 2nd subwoofer and continue to have the same crackling problem. Upsetting. Can't get any answers from Polk. What to do???
  • I was irritating about the low volume pops in the sub all the time while playing Spotify/Aux/HDMI ARC/Optical. So i returned my system and got a new one. I tested this one out and it also has popping sounds on the sub. I was thinking about the system is a really good concept and want to know WHEN the sub pops and WHY.
    It is really good audible with slow (relax) music and talkshows/dialoges.

First i played 10 times the same intro of a Vangelis song (popping constantly the same rhytm).

Second i tested out a subwoofer/bass test movie on YouTube. 3 minuten nonstop low bass test, no pop at all!
    That could immediately eliminate the wireless connection/interference problems with the router.

After it i had a video of 3 minutes drum/punch test with ascending pace. And yes, the popping sound was back! Every time RIGHT BEFORE the punch and RIGHT AFTER the punch i heard a pop in the sub. When the pace increased the pop was also increasing.

I think the pop is just because of the subwoofer goes "ON" and "OFF". When the input has low freq in the sound, the bar told the sub "go on and work!" and when the input has high freq he just goes of. These kind of popps/crackling does have NOTHING to do with wireless interference or something.

This must be easy to fix with a firmware update i think? Just give the subwoofer the signal always stay ON when the soundbar is on, also when there is no sound with lower freq.

Ofcourse, when there are incidental louder pops or scratch sounds it can be wireless interference, but the lower volume pops/crackle in the subwoofer absolutely not.