Very First Concert you attended - best me..

Comments

• DForeman
    DForeman Posts: 468
    April Wine 1976 - with Heart as backup band
    Parasound P5 Pre
    Marantz AV 7703 Pre/Pro
    Outlaw 7500 Amp
    Marantz SA14s1 SACD/CD
    Rega Planar 2 TT
    Polk Audio Speakers: LSiM 705 Fronts, LC65FX Surround, LSiM 704c
    Oppo BDP-103
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Manticore wrote: »
    I certainly cant beat most of you lucky folks but my first ticketed concert was:
    ezm8gpnssmu5.jpg

from what i remember it was a great show with the revolving stage in the center. I have seen some great free shows at Central Park (NYC) at various years. Simon & Garfunkel was insanely crowded. To name just one.

Does it count if you didn't make it into the show but, listened from the outside of an open air concert. ELP early 70's Gaelic Park BX NY. They sounded fantastic. I wish i was old enough to get in (or even have money for a ticket) Lol

The fact you still have the ticket stub is pretty darn awesome.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited August 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Do you remember when all 3 members of Rush recorded the song "Battle Scar" with Max Webster? It totally sounds like a lost Rush song. It wasn't a popular song in America, but CHOM FM in Montreal played it constantly back in 1980-81.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMM6Bhwpy0M
    Yes ,my favourite radio station at the time, Q107 in Toronto played it a lot. Not surprising since they were all home town TO boys. I remember hearing at the time the song would be included on whomever's album that was to be released next.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    lightman1 wrote: »
    KISS....1977. Old Greensboro Colosseum

Same here , 1977 in Wichita Kansas, my sister still has the ticket stubs.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I wonder why Jesse doesn't admit to attending the most exclusive concert in history. People were literally KILLED to get seats for this one...

2q6rx7o0gncn.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    108h8ehi79ba.jpg
    Ya know we're all showing are age here! LOL
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    I wonder why Jesse doesn't admit to attending the most exclusive concert in history. People were literally KILLED to get seats for this one...

2q6rx7o0gncn.jpg

Good one John.

I would have loved to see it but maybe from back stage. The price of admission was terrible.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited August 2018
    stretchl wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    KISS....1977. Old Greensboro Colosseum

That must’ve been intense for a first go. How old were you?

KISS busted my cherry, too

It was 1975-76 at COBO Hall when I was in 8th grade Jr High. Went with the "older neighborhood guys" who were mostly 9th grade freshmen

In 2 words . . . Mind Blown
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    vmaxer wrote: »

2q6rx7o0gncn.jpg

Good one John.

I would have loved to see it but maybe from back stage. The price of admission was terrible.

Agreed... probably the most expensive ticket ever, and it took 25 to life before they opened the doors to let you out afterwards.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That’s a long time ago. Heck, my dad was 6!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Triumph and Molly Hatchet. Danny Joe Brown just got out of rehab :)
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    maxward wrote: »
    @OleBoot, I was in fact 18, a student at the University of Illinois. Time flies!

Max, I’m a journalism professor at the u of i. When we’re u here and what did u study?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    My first concert that I bought the tickets for...I was in 8th grade and convinced my dad to drive us 90 miles to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant on the No Quarter Tour on May 6th, 1995 at the Kiel Center in St. Louis, MO. 23 years later I live in STL. Here is the setlist from that night:

Thank You
    Bring It On Home (Willie Dixon cover)
    Ramble On
    Hey Hey What Can I Do
    Gallows Pole
    Shake My Tree (Coverdale/Page cover)
    Lullaby (The Cure cover)
    No Quarter
    Nobody's Fault but Mine
    Friends
    Calling to You (Robert Plant cover)
    Since I've Been Loving You
    The Song Remains the Same
    Four Sticks
    Achilles Last Stand
    Black Dog
    Kashmir
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    My first concert that I bought the tickets for...I was in 8th grade and convinced my dad to drive us 90 miles to Jimmy Page and Robert Plant on the No Quarter Tour on May 6th, 1995 at the Kiel Center in St. Louis, MO. 23 years later I live in STL. Here is the setlist from that night:

Thank You
    Bring It On Home (Willie Dixon cover)
    Ramble On
    Hey Hey What Can I Do
    Gallows Pole
    Shake My Tree (Coverdale/Page cover)
    Lullaby (The Cure cover)
    No Quarter
    Nobody's Fault but Mine
    Friends
    Calling to You (Robert Plant cover)
    Since I've Been Loving You
    The Song Remains the Same
    Four Sticks
    Achilles Last Stand
    Black Dog
    Kashmir
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    maxward wrote: »
    @OleBoot, I was in fact 18, a student at the University of Illinois. Time flies!

Max, I’m a journalism professor at the u of i. When we’re u here and what did u study?

Sex drugs and rock n roll of course.....
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

irony.
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    My uncle took me to my first concert in 96/97(?). A local radio channel with 99 in its title was hosting the event for 99 cents a ticket. The headliners were Chevelle, at the venue the Boathouse in Norfolk, VA. Boathouse is no longer there thanks to Hurricane Isabel in 2003. To this day Chevelle remains one of my all-time favorite rock bands and I've seen the most of live. Deftones are probably a close second.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    My first unofficial concert would have been Blue Rodeo when they were starting off at my dad's summer company bbq. My first one would Pearl Jam in 1993 at the Bob in Gatineau QC. Followed by Pink Floyd Division Bell in Montreal QC, 1994.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Beatles. Indiana Fairgrounds (Indianapolis). 1964

I begged my parents to let me go with a friend of mine to see the Beatles on that tour, Kansas City in '64.

They wouldn't budge, said I was too young @ 11 years old!
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    tonyb wrote: »
    Styx....had front row seats, played my High school before they went big time.

Must have been during The Serpent Is Rising times....that group was pretty dang good in those days weren't they?..
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Canaan NH Fall harvest festival in the fall of 76; Bob Segar, John Sebastian, Canned Heat, James Montgomery, Duke and the Drivers. That concert completely overwhelmed the small town which was expecting 6,000 but 70,000 arrived. The best part was 2 day party-sleepover in those much different times for this 21 year old kid at the time.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Canaan NH Fall harvest festival in the fall of 76; Bob Segar, John Sebastian, Canned Heat, James Montgomery, Duke and the Drivers. That concert completely overwhelmed the small town which was expecting 6,000 but 70,000 arrived. The best part was 2 day party-sleepover in those much different times for this 21 year old kid at the time.

Did you meet your Maggie May?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    James Montgomery

I worked on a movie here in Vermont where almost the entire plot took place at a wedding reception in a hotel. James Montgomery played the bartender at the reception. In one scene, the wedding band invites him onstage and he starts playing his harmonica. I'm not a big fan of harmonica music, but I was totally blown away by that guy. B)

Most of the cast and crew stayed in the hotel during the shoot. One night after we were done shooting, James and a bunch of other cast/crew members came up to my room for a few late night beers. He was a really cool guy and he told a bunch of hilarious jokes. :p
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    My uncle took me to my first concert in 96/97(?). A local radio channel with 99 in its title was hosting the event for 99 cents a ticket. The headliners were Chevelle, at the venue the Boathouse in Norfolk, VA. Boathouse is no longer there thanks to Hurricane Isabel in 2003. To this day Chevelle remains one of my all-time favorite rock bands and I've seen the most of live. Deftones are probably a close second.

Hey..was Henry The Bull a DJ there?..Was gone from the VB area by then but did see a lot of good shows at that Boat House venue..I remember the chain link fence inside that separated the underage gang from getting beers..didn't seem to work out all that well either..LOL!..
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Wow, my high school days and concerts days are a bit of a blur and I saw a lot of concerts mostly at Selland Arena in Fresno, and some major events at the Oakland Coliseum. I think the first one was Boston, Outlaws and Starcastle in 1977. As long as I could scrape up the money and had a ride, I rarely missed a rock concert. My mom would not let me take the car or drive my friends to concerts. She was right in that regard since I am still breathing.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Beatles. Indiana Fairgrounds (Indianapolis). 1964

I begged my parents to let me go with a friend of mine to see the Beatles on that tour, Kansas City in '64.

They wouldn't budge, said I was too young @ 11 years old!

Damn, I thought I was old Mike :)
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/