Lost left channel in Outlaw RR2160

So we haven't used our 1-year-old Outlaw receiver for about 6 weeks b/c of summer trips, etc.

Enjoying a show tonight and come to realize the system (2 channel) doesn't sound balanced. Checked to find the left channel is out. Tried Opt and USB input, Left channel is out with both sources.

I checked banana plugs at both speakers and back of receiver and all are snug. Pulled speakers out and switched Right with Left and the problem shifted to the Right speaker, so my speaker isn't blown. Put speaker bananas back to original speaker and switched banana plugs at the back of the receiver. Again, no sound from Left channel.

We've had storms and I don't know there was a lightning strike, but I would assume the whole unit would be blown, not just one channel.

Is there anything I'm missing or any trouble shooting anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!
HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2018
    Check to see if there is more than 1 fuse...slim chance, but???
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2018
    Un-plug it.

It is your receiver for sure. Great diagnosing the basics. ;)

Disconnect everything and take the top off.

Look for fuses. I've just fixed 2 receivers with blown fuses in the past 6 months.

I was lucky I could reach the fuses and pull them out and look closer.

It is so gratifying to replace a 1.00 fuse and make things right.

I hope you can have a look inside it. It might be easy, maybe not. We don't know yet.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • The manual says one internal fuse that is not serviceable by layman.
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
  • Tony M
    Well that brings us to a repair facility. :/ It might be worth it though.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    It's serviceable, their lawyers are simply covering their butts.

That said, if there's only one fuse that isn't the problem as it wouldn't power up if the fuse is blown.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I powered off both standby power switch on front and main power on back. I did not unplug it though.

None of the other items that are plugged into that outlet seem to have been affected.

Thx again for all the suggestions.
  • I'll call Outlaw today to see if they have any suggestions and ask about shipping it back if necessary.

Thanks for the fuse suggestions. I have a mid '90s Sony DA80ES that I found at a thrift store. Used it and really liked for a couple of years, it finally shut down and displayed "SERVICE." I'll pull the top and look for fuses and use it till I get the Outlaw running again.

35 years ago I was occasionally replacing fuses in my Polk M7s.

Thanks again!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Could it be your speaker cable? Did you switch the cables on the speaker side or the amplifier side?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Could it be your speaker cable? Did you switch the cables on the speaker side or the amplifier side?

Always keep Occam's Razor* in mind when troubleshooting :)

That said, two other thoughts occasioned by this thread in toto.

1) did the OP try all sources (i.e., to eliminate a source or cable from source to amplifier that was, shall we say, bjorked**)?

2) does that receiver have a headphone jack? If so, does the audio from the jack have one or two channels?

hcwjpb2m3m6c.png

• Good call; I’ll try headphone and tape out when I get home.
  • I emailed Outlaw Audio today at 12:47PM and got a response by 1:24PM. Not too shabby.

Ben from Outlaw said to confirm that other sources were also missing the left channel. So I tried the tuner and just got the right channel. Ben said to do a factory reset by pushing a series of buttons on the remote. Unit shut down as part of the reset process and when I powered both channels were firing. Chris Stapleton's been going since!

Thanks for everyone's input.
  • Tony M
    Great Customer Service!!! B)
  • Natup
    Natup Posts: 1
    I came across this post given a similar issue - Right Channel not working. This occurred after trying to set up a PC connection. Typical troubleshooting including a reset did not work, so we ended up sending it back to Outlaw for servicing. Here's a description of the fix:
    • "The pre-out/main-in jumper for the Left Channel was observed to be missing. This is the only issue found with your RR2160. A new jumper was installed and the left channel produced proper sound as with the right channel. We're not sure how this jumper came to be missing. But, the result falls in line with the reported issue."
    Apparently, my son had removed the jumper when trying to connect the PC. Yikes, an expensive error. btw - Outlaw's customer repair service has been excellent.