Corvette Advice sought....

1235»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    How many clowns come with it?

LMAO !! Dude, a warning shot would be nice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'm not sure I understand the criteria here. I was under the belief you were looking for a vintage car to work on with your son. These types of collectable cars would not be daily drivers either. A kid wants to work on a car he can drive, or eventually drive, no ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    tonyb wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the criteria here. I was under the belief you were looking for a vintage car to work on with your son. These types of collectable cars would not be daily drivers either. A kid wants to work on a car he can drive, or eventually drive, no ?

1998 makes it twenty years old (check my arithmetic).
    Heck, it probably doesn't have an infotainment center -- stone aged.

:)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited August 2018
    It’s a ‘98 pace car collector edition that was one of the 110 or so used by Indy as a courtesy vehicle during the festivities. Personally, being a Minnesota Vikings fan, l like the color.

It is unique John, and I'm just funn'n with you. Not much you can do to it that wouldn't take away from its value. That is pretty low numbers of vehicle's made. I wonder how many are still in existence?
  • mhardy6647
    Concur. I can't say I like the color scheme, but it is indeed a unique vehicle and would be fun to own and to drive, I would think.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    It’s a ‘98 pace car collector edition that was one of the 110 or so used by Indy as a courtesy vehicle during the festivities. Personally, being a Minnesota Vikings fan, l like the color.

While the Vikings fan thing may be true enough, that car will scream Lakers all day long given where you live. Only thing missing is the logo :)
    Good luck with it anyway!

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    If you buy that, I will send you this too wear while driving. Hey its LA, no one will notice.

lbd0gqzy61iy.jpg

Hey! That's mine! :/
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2018
    wrong thread
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

It is unique John, and I'm just funn'n with you. Not much you can do to it that wouldn't take away from its value. That is pretty low numbers of vehicle's made. I wonder how many are still in existence?
    They actually built 1163 of them, including the 5 pilot-build cars. but to have one that was part of race festivities is still special.

I tried contacting the seller this morning to finalize the time but have not heard back yet.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    The car was sold to someone else on Friday... oh well, the search continues.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Were there ever any limited edition Yugos?
    I mean, talk about something rare to go toolin' around in on a fine spring morning...
  • mhardy6647
    ... or maybe something like this?

mpmb3tyo959u.png

or

jck0bzdp8rtb.png

;)
  • mhardy6647
    In seriousness, that is unfortunate, as the Corvette in question was (is) a unique vehicle.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Colt and gremlin are 2 cars i have to say i have eother owned or driven. And the Plymouth version of the colt. The Champ!

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    Mrs. H had a '77 Ford Fiesta (the original, German-made version). Fun car to drive but a complete and utter piece of junk. I learned to drive a manual on it (she taught me!).

I mention it here because I came to refer to it as the Fiasco. :|

Much later, and with malice aforethought, I bought a 'new' Fiesta (5-speed hatchback) when they came out in the US in 2010. Orders of magnitude nicer and better than the '77.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited August 2018
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Mrs. H had a '77 Ford Fiesta (the original, German-made version). Fun car to drive but a complete and utter piece of junk. I learned to drive a manual on it (she taught me!).

I mention it here because I came to refer to it as the Fiasco. :|

Much later, and with malice aforethought, I bought a 'new' Fiesta (5-speed hatchback) when they came out in the US in 2010. Orders of magnitude nicer and better than the '77.

My only other car marque I've owned besides Volkswagens was a 1979 Ford Fiesta "S". I was 19 years old and I needed transportation after my 1975 VW Scirocco front suspension imploded because of severe rust issue. I ended up putting a clutch in it myself. I never had many issues with it, but talk about basic transportation. I don't even think it had AC, no center counsole and it had 12" tires that were impossible to find. I joke that the brake rotors on my current 2017 GTi are larger @ 13.4" than the tire diameter of those on the Fiesta......lol.

I had that car for about 2 years, it got me where I needed to go. The original German one had a weber carb and the engine was and OHV Kent racing derived 100% iron engine. The block and the head were iron rather than the typical iron block and aluminum head. The "S" did come with the optional tach, but it was a sparse, noisy uncomfortable place to be. And an understeer monster since the front end was so heavy.

In my youth I was a lot more care free as I remember on a highway jaunt I had the thing floored and I thing it maxed out at something like 105MPH, but the speedo was so shaky who knows. And the thing rattled and vibrated like it was going to come apart. Today there's no way I'd take that car flat out, what a stupid thing to do with such a true econo-box death trap.....lol.

After that car I bought my 1st GTi, 1984 First generation GTi with sport exhaust and lowered suspension. I thought that GTi was so luxurious compared to the Fiesta.

Ahhhhhh..........fond memories.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    The early generation of Fiesta used lug bolts (a la old VWs) -- it is indeed fortunate that the wheels and tires were tiny ;)
    I thought the wheels on Susan's were 13 inch... but it's been gone for a long, long time.

In terms of eccentricities and repair experiences -- I could write a book! Since we were in grad school in those days, we (I) did a lot of DIY maintenance. That car is what led me to start using a pro mechanic for our cars as soon as we could afford it.

Maybe I'll start another thread.

Sorry for the derail, back to collectible sports/muscle cars!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Last derail-- nope , they were 12". I remember looking for used tires in the junk yard and also remember looking in the back pages of Road and Track and seeing that only one manufacturer seemed to sell them, Michelin MVX, IIRC. and they were like $40/tire. I found a couple at the junk yard eventually for like $10/tire.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Last derail-- nope , they were 12". I remember looking for used tires in the junk yard and also remember looking in the back pages of Road and Track and seeing that only one manufacturer seemed to sell them, Michelin MVX, IIRC. and they were like $40/tire. I found a couple at the junk yard eventually for like $10/tire.

Were they made of wood or stone?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    mrbiron wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »

Were they made of wood or stone?

Gotta be a Monty Python reference here...
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    John,
    Surprised you weren't at Pebble Beach today, bidding on this beaut ...she fetched a reasonable $5M....thoughts were she would go up to $7.5M....what a steal, IMHO

sypwirvmjmaf.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    Rip off actually.... no car is worth that much, even the mighty Model J.

• Viking64
    You know, John....for years I have wanted to buy a 1965 Corvette Coupe and a matching 1973 Buick Riviera. Same color and similar chrome accents as much as possible. Even matching wheels. The rear glass in both of those cars is nothing short of gorgeous. :)

d95sypzhomzu.jpg
    g5caifzevl5p.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    The boat tails were originally designed to sit on a GM “A” body platform, and would have been a far better car than the LeSabre with a fancy rear end the morphed into...

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2018
    enhmgw4yxyjx.jpeg

Copied from a car site I frequent...

I read with great interest your article entitled 1971–’73 Riviera: Buick’s Beautiful Boattail. In that article Mr. Brown states that “It has never been clear exactly who was responsible for styling this car.” I can shed some light on this subject. I was a member of GM Design Staff and working under Jerry Hirshberg at the time the ’71 was designed.

While Dave Holls is essentially correct stating in his sidebar comments that Bill Mitchell heavily influenced the design, Hirshberg was the studio Chief Designer and supervised the crafting of every surface and detail of that car. However, another designer named Don DaHarsh, working for Mitchell in his secret back-room Studio X, designed the theme model in 3/8 scale before any of us in Advanced Buick studio began the’71 project.

Inspiration for the Mitchell/DaHarsh model probably did come from the famous Y-job and the Stingray, but Mitchell had a mania for sweep-spears, evident on the Delahayes of his youth and demanded that the project that was to become the ’71 Riviera employ this flamboyant styling motif. We inherited the model and Mitchell’s burning desire to create a magnificent and aggressive design statement.

Our first effort under Hirshberg was a superb interpretation of DaHarsh’s model—Mitchell’s swashbuckling excess and the design team’s fine sense of line, form, proportion and detailing. This model was on a combined A/E body platform. It had a deep “V” windshield tapering through the monocoque body to the now famous boattail.

Cost was the prime factor in changing the size of the ’71 Riveria. The unusual A/E package, the deep “V” windshield, and other economic factors of the times forced Buick management to dictate that we redesign our sleek coupe and use the B-body seating package and glass. At the time this directive was a disaster—totally destroying the original concept.

Our design team worked tirelessly for months to convert what was once a shark into a whale, albeit a superbly detailed and proportioned one. The beautiful car you see today is a tribute to this effort and to the skill of Hirshberg and his team. I am proud to have been a part of this slice of automotive history

• Viking64
    edited August 2018
    I have never heard of the "Y-job" and I had never seen a Delahaye with that much of a profound sweep. Beautiful! And thanks for the article. That was very interesting. :)

• nooshinjohn
    The Delahaye
    jhr3vdxdk1pn.jpeg

And Harley Earl ‘s Y Job... widely considered the first of the dream cars.
    mi0un3dt09mu.jpeg

• mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    And Harley Earl ‘s Y Job... widely considered the first of the dream cars.
    mi0un3dt09mu.jpeg

Evocative of the early Contintenal -- or vice versa.

83ge9ns68vu4.png