Inside the Sunfire Cinema Grand

nooshinjohn
nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
edited September 2009 in Electronics
I have just completed the installation of a new lamp for the power level indicator inside my Cinema Grand. I was quite apprehensive about going inside this thing given the way it is put together. The entire job took just about one hour, including removal and reinstallation of the amp into my rig. The job was reletively easy followed by several minutes of shear terror as I powered it on again. Happily my fears were unfounded, and my efforts were rewarded with the warm sounds and tube-like glow from the Joule Meter I have come to expect from the Sunfire flagship amp. Judge for yourselves about the build quality of this beast as I have never seen the inside of one until today. The inside was virtually dust free when it was opened which I found quite impressive given the amp is around 12 to 15 years old at this point... In short, a very well thought out and well executed design built with absolute attention to detail and quality.:)
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by nooshinjohn on

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    edited September 2009
    Very nice John!
    The Sunfire Theater Grand Processor of mine is very impressive as well. I'm hooked.
  • jimmydep
    jimmydep Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2009
    Nice John, It must feel good to have your amp "whole" again.

Did you have to solder the new bulb in place?

Jim D
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2009
    yes... solder is the only way to go. Sunfire send TWO lamps for free... guess they are trying to entice me to buy a new one!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited September 2009
    Sadly you may be replacing the lamp again shortly. I heard they don't last long. While you were in there, did you see if it were possible to do LED instead of bulb? Nice work anyway, I went with Sunfire due to its smaller profile but yet they pack a punch and sound great.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • thuffman03
    thuffman03 Posts: 1,325
    edited September 2009
    Cool you took pics. I would love to own one of these some day.
    Sunfire TGP, Sunfire Cinema Grand, Sunfire 300~2 (2), Sunfire True Sub (2),Carver ALS Platinum, Carver AL III, TFM-55, C-19, C-9, TX-8, SDA-490t, SDA-390t
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    edited September 2009
    Nice work John. That's a good looking amp. I'm surprised it didn't have more dust in it considering it has a fan.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2009
    Thanks John. Nice to know what the inside of my amp looks like.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • danz1906
    danz1906 Posts: 5,144
    edited September 2009
    Nice pics!
    Linn AV5140 fronts
    Linn AV5120 Center
    Linn AV5140 Rears
    M&K MX-70 Sub for Music
    Odyssey Mono-Blocs
    SVS Ultra-13 Gloss Black:D
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    edited September 2009
    Great looking amp and I love the blue caps; Bob's always been a fan of them.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    edited September 2009
    Great pics. Thanks
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Pedler
    Pedler Posts: 95
    edited September 2009
    Very Nice pics. by any chance do you know what the value of the main Capacitor's are?:D
    Thanks.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited September 2009
    They appears to be 20000uF 150V (for each cap).
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2009
    Pedler wrote: »
    Very Nice pics. by any chance do you know what the value of the main Capacitor's are?:D
    Thanks.
    I did not look. but was very impressed with the build quality and attention to detail. If I happen to take a peak inside again, I will look it over more closely;)

• Bernal
    Bernal Posts: 991
    edited September 2009
    I have just completed the installation of a new lamp for the power level indicator inside my Cinema Grand. I was quite apprehensive about going inside this thing given the way it is put together. The entire job took just about one hour, including removal and reinstallation of the amp into my rig. The job was reletively easy followed by several minutes of shear terror as I powered it on again. Happily my fears were unfounded, and my efforts were rewarded with the warm sounds and tube-like glow from the Joule Meter I have come to expect from the Sunfire flagship amp. Judge for yourselves about the build quality of this beast as I have never seen the inside of one until today. The inside was virtually dust free when it was opened which I found quite impressive given the amp is around 12 to 15 years old at this point... In short, a very well thought out and well executed design built with absolute attention to detail and quality.:)

Congratulations.
    Thanks for the presentation. Excellent product. My LSi sing like angels with Sunfire.
    Good to see its first-ever solid construction.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=98096

01) DENON AVR-4308CI: Advanced 7.1 CH/5.1+2 CH/ 3.1+2+2 CH A/V Home Theater /MultiMedia Multi-Source/Zone Receiver with Networking and WiFi/170 watts x 7 channels
    02) SUNFIRE Grand Signature - Bob Carver's:D
    03) OPPO DV-980H 1080p Up-Converting Universal DVD Player with HDMI and 7.1CH Audio
    04) OPPO BDP-83 Blu-ray Disc Player w/SACD & DVD-Audio / DENON DVD-2500BTCI: Blu-ray Disc™ DVD/CD Digital Player/Transport
    05) HITACHI P55T501. 55" HD1080 Plasma HDTV
    06) POLKAUDIO LSiC (Center speaker)
    07) POLKAUDIO LSi15 LEFT (Front speaker)
    08) POLKAUDIO LSi15 RIGHT (Front speaker)
    09) POLKAUDIO LSif/x LEFT (Surround speaker)
    10) POLKAUDIO LSif/x RIGHT (Surround speaker)
    11) VELODYNE 12" OPTIMUN SERIES (High Output Digital EQ SubWoofer 2400W/1200WRMS)
  • Bernal
    edited September 2009
  • Bernal
    edited September 2009
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2009
    what's up Bernal?

• messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    edited September 2009
    Cool pics John...makes my mouth water :D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,893
    edited September 2009
    zingo wrote: »
    Great looking amp and I love the blue caps; Bob's always been a fan of them.
    There's a lot of blue stuff in there ... it reminds me of something ... what is it ... I can't think of it right now ... oh no! Could it be ... Emutika!

Noooooooooooo!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Bernal
    edited September 2009
    Kex wrote: »
    There's a lot of blue stuff in there ... it reminds me of something ... what is it ... I can't think of it right now ... oh no! Could it be ... Emutika!

Noooooooooooo!

Emutika????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • TNRabbit
    TNRabbit Posts: 2,168
    edited September 2009
    Lasareath wrote: »
    That little fan is so funny, does it really do anything?

I think it is to cool the microprocessor... :confused:
    TNRabbit
    NO Polk Audio Equipment :eek:
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Ashly 1001 Active Crossover
    Rane PEQ-15 Parametric Equalizers x 2
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Seven
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Kex
    edited September 2009
    Bernal wrote: »
    Emutika????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    I'm just messin'. You shouldn't read any of my posts, or take them seriously. Nobody else here does, because I'm stupid. Emutika is just a variation of Emu, which is a variation of Emo, which is an abbreviation of Emotiva Audio Corp., and their products are very blue ... inside boards and outside LED's!

Actually, the boards inside my NAD are also blue. Boards used to always be brown or green. I suppose blue boards are the new thing these days.
    Alea jacta est!
  • TNRabbit
    edited September 2009
    Kex wrote: »
    I'm just messin'. You shouldn't read any of my posts, or take them seriously. Nobody else here does, because I'm stupid. Emutika is just a variation of Emu, which is a variation of Emo, which is an abbreviation of Emotiva Audio Corp., and their products are very blue ... inside boards and outside LED's!

Actually, the boards inside my NAD are also blue. Boards used to always be brown or green. I suppose blue boards are the new thing these days.

Blue conducts electrons more efficiently...
    :p
    TNRabbit
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • Kex
    edited September 2009
    TNRabbit wrote: »

Blue conducts electrons more efficiently...
    :p
    I've heard that before ... actually, I think it's why Lightman wears blue boots when he is on the rampage, intent on delivering the proverbial toe to the proverbial posterior of offending persons ... That's usually immediately prior, or immediately subsequent, to peeing on their bushes.
    Alea jacta est!
  • TNRabbit
    edited September 2009
    Is this while wearing blue, assless chaps or am I thinking of someone else...?

(notice my font is the electron-conducting blue, as well)
    TNRabbit
    Sunfire TG-IV
    Carver AL-III Speakers
    Klipsch RT-12d Subwoofer
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2009
    does that mean blue balls conduct.... well I won't go there.

• hi plmk the specs on the lamp, incandescent or what, voltage and watts please.
  • krazypolk
    krazypolk Posts: 745
    hi plmk the specs on the lamp, incandescent or what, voltage and watts please.

Thank you for asking, I've been wondering the same thing for the last 9 years.
  • nooshinjohn
    And I have no clue... I just went with what I was sent.