LSiM 707 Setup Help

I need help with setting up LSiM 707 speakers. My current setup option 1: ran 12awg from Yamaha RX-A3070 straight to the 707 via banana plugs. My AVR setting is 2-channel stereo with speakers set at "Large". The volume at -20db and the speakers sound very soft with little bass response (softer then my old infinity beta 50 speakers). I then set the speakers to "small" with crossover of 80Hz. The result is still soft. I ran YPAO, a bit improvement
because the YPAO turn up the speakers to +7db.

My second connection was through external amp: Ran RCA from AVR to Crown XLS-1502, then out to the speakers via banana plugs. The speakers still soft very soft. The xls volume knob is at 75%. I tried the set the xls sensitivity at 1.4V and at .775v, but not much change.

Any help on setting up these speakers sound correctly would greatly appreciated.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Did you buy the speakers new or used?

Put your ear up to a tweeter, is it working?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Jumpers in place?
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • What is your source?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Jumpers in place?

Bump
  • cachua
    cachua Posts: 8
    F1nut wrote: »
    Did you buy the speakers new or used?

Put your ear up to a tweeter, is it working?

Bought the speakers new from Adorama. The tweeter is working fine. The mid is very soft and little bass response.
  • cachua
    joecoulson wrote: »
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Jumpers in place?

Bump

Jumpers are in place.
  • cachua
    What is your source?

I tried with both ARC HDMI and Optical. Both sounds the same.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2018
    The tweeter makes a lot more of the sound produced than what people realize, when it's not playing speakers sound muffled and dull, which seems to be the issue you are describing.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Do you have a different receiver or separates you can try with speakers ? That way you can rule out the speakers as the problem. Or go the other way. Do you have another set of speakers to hook up to see if the receiver is the problem? I do not know how old your receiver is? But they have many ,many settings that could be off one way or another. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • joecoulson
    edited August 2018
    I will say these are power hungry speakers (at least my 705’s are) and they don’t sound good underpowered.
    I had a NAD p2400 on them at first and it wasn’t enough. The Linn’s Make all the difference.
  • joecoulson
    I didn’t look up the specs on that Yammy before my comment. Should be plenty
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    The Crown is plenty. Stupid question but do you accidentally have a mute on? Some receivers have two mute functions, one cuts half the volume and one cuts all the volume.

As a simple thing, could you reset the receiver to factory settings and then try again? How about a different source as well?
  • Check the source trim also.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • cachua
    Airplay355 wrote: »
    The Crown is plenty. Stupid question but do you accidentally have a mute on? Some receivers have two mute functions, one cuts half the volume and one cuts all the volume.

As a simple thing, could you reset the receiver to factory settings and then try again? How about a different source as well?

I believe my yammy rx-a3070 has only 1 mute function and it’s not on. For source, I have tested with hdmi and optical. Let see if rca source will help.

• cachua
    Check the source trim also.

Can you elaborate on source trim? How do I check source trim?
  • F1nut
    Source means something like a CD player, tuner, etc., so what are you using?

President of Club Polk

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    Have you tried multiple sources as in using an Apple TV and a Blu Ray player?

Source trim would be in the individual settings for an input I think. Like the option to attenuate DVD, TV, phono, whatever. Just a guess though, that’s where it is on mine.

Both speakers sound like this, right? It’s not just in a single channel and doesn’t continue if you keep everything hooked up the same wth different speakers?

Are the larger drivers moving at all when you’re playing something? If you gently put a finger in them do they seem like they’re working?
  • Honestly I think something is wrong with the AVR. If YPAO is adjusting the level to +7 and your not 30 feet away then I am thinking there i is a problem with the pre-amp output section. When YPAO is ran it would ignore any level and trim adjustments and source wouldn’t matter. I would send it back for a replacement.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited August 2018
    Yes, it has to be the AVR, cables, and/or amp. Whats the chance of having two bad speakers? Slim to none, IMO.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    cachua wrote: »
    What is your source?

I tried with both ARC HDMI and Optical. Both sounds the same.

Sounds like your source is a TV? Have you checked that the TV volume is set to fixed or max?
  • Good point. The digital output on my Samsung smart tv although fixed is noticeably lower than other sources.

It still doesn’t make sense why YPAO set the AVR to +7 unless the room is very large and open or the 707s are pointing the wrong way.

It is uncommon for a new Totl Yamaha to have an issue like this, I think.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Can you hook up two other speakers to your system to rule Polks in or out? Or hook your Polks up to another reciever? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • cachua
    Thanks for all the recommendation/advice. I narrow down to the audio out of tv into receiver. I tried DVD, Airplay, Pandora radio, all sounds good and loud enough. But audio from TV is extremely soft. Now I need to figure out the setting from TV/AVR.
  • Just adjust up the input trim for that source.
  • cachua
    Just adjust up the input trim for that source.

Do I adjust from the tv or from the avr?

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited August 2018
    Avr...unless your tv has a fixed volume output as mentioned. Then use that...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Or both. Tv should be fixed. Source trim is on the AVR.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    On many tv’s you have to tell the tv you will not be using the built in speakers, and will be using external speakers. Could be something as simple as speakers on/off in the set up menu.

Your instruction manual will direct you to the proper setting