texas style brisket k.i.s.s.

Options
here's a smoked brisket recipe I found i'm going to try next brisket cook.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    Options
    Are you sure about that internal temp of 150°? I've smoked dozens of briskets and none have reached probe tender anywhere near that temp. This one was 11.5 lbs and took about 12 hours at 265°. The internal temp was 203° and it was soft as butter and seriously juicy.

ua78piigroof.jpg
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I think 150 was the temperature it cools to after the rest.........

But you are right to question it. Having a smoker recipe without the internal Pull temperature is worthless. You need to get to a certain temperature and hold it there for a while to turn collagen (tough gristle) into Gelatin (the tasty sticky stuff you get on your lips and fingers). He also cooks it too high at 300. You can't rush it.

I take my ribs to 190 and brisket a little higher. But you just can't heat it quickly to 190 and eat it. It has to SLOWLY cook (I try for a 250 smoker) and reach 190-205, then be held at that temperature for a while to convert everything to gelatin.

I don't have the patience to tend a smoker for 12 hours either. Smoke it for 5-7 hours then wrap it in foil. Then put it in a 250 oven with an internal thermometer. Cook it to 190 and turn off the oven.

• mark090852
    Options
    delkal wrote: »

But you are right to question it. Having a smoker recipe without the internal Pull temperature is worthless. You need to get to a certain temperature and hold it there for a while to turn collagen (tough gristle) into Gelatin (the tasty sticky stuff you get on your lips and fingers). He also cooks it too high at 300. You can't rush it.

I take my ribs to 190 and brisket a little higher. But you just can't heat it quickly to 190 and eat it. It has to SLOWLY (I try for a 250 smoker) cook and reach 190-205, then be held at that temperature for a while to convert everything to gelatin.

I don't have the patience to tend a smoker for 12 hours either. Smoke it for 5-7 hours then wrap it in foil. Then put it in a 250 oven with an internal thermometer. Cook it to 190 and turn off the oven.

I used to think you couldn't cook brisket fast, but then I watched this video and tried it hot and fast. 400°! It was fantastic. I've done pork butts hot and fast too, and they are as good as low and slow. Watch these videos and give it a try. You will be amazed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSEI1mc97Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whrsf0DkFk4

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • mark090852
    Options
    delkal wrote: »

I take my ribs to 190 and brisket a little higher. But you just can't heat it quickly to 190 and eat it. It has to SLOWLY cook (I try for a 250 smoker) and reach 190-205, then be held at that temperature for a while to convert everything to gelatin.

I used to believe that you couldn't cook brisket fast. But then I watched this video and tried his technique. 400°! It was fantastic! I've been doing pork butts hot and fast, too. Just as good as low and slow. Family and friends can't tell the difference. Watch these videos and give it a try. I think you will be amazed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSEI1mc97Ss&t=8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whrsf0DkFk4

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    edited August 2018
    Options
    he was saying wrap after 4 hrs then leave on smoker until probe tender then let rest until it cools to 150.
    I've never cooked hot n fast, don't really like to cook brisket as it takes so long the slow way.

there are some that do not use a thermometer and go by feel only. I found each piece has it's own temp so you cannot go by one set temp. temp is only a guide.
    the old saying goes it's ready when it's ready :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mark090852
    Options
    I see that now. I was getting hungry and started drooling just thinking about brisket, I must have missed that part. Lol Thanks for the clarification.
  • marvda1
    Options
    you don't get to drink as much beer doing hot and fast :D
    here's a guy I trust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZuE_nXamUo
    Puritan PSM156
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 862
    Options
    I dont usually like to wrap the brisket during the cook(texas crutch)as i feel it takes a little away from the bark. Although i have heard good things about using the butcher paper in place of aluminum foil.

I normally shoot for 275 at the grate and then smoke to an internal temp of around 203 or until it probes tender and has the brisket "wobble". I then wrap in foil and place it in the cooler for atleast 3 hours to rest before serving.

vcr4khfa9vgd.jpg

• strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    Options
    203 is my go to temp for most anything on the smoker. My guru for BBQ (kinda fun thing to say, isn't it?) is Meathead from amazingribs.com.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    edited August 2018
    Options
    strider wrote: »
    203 is my go to temp for most anything on the smoker. My guru for BBQ (kinda fun thing to say, isn't it?) is Meathead from amazingribs.com.

Yep, love meathead! Have u done his smoked baked potatoes? OMG with brisket or pork butt they are amazing, and he is right it’s all about temp. Got to get those tators to 211-213 and they are fluffy and amazing...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I wouldn't know about Brisket Marv. Apparently...Texas was all out of the stuff when I visited.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I wouldn't know about Brisket Marv. Apparently...Texas was all out of the stuff when I visited.

I would have shown you a place to go even on crutches :D
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    edited August 2018
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

I would have shown you a place to go even on crutches :D

Next time Marv, I'm hangin' with you bro. :) Instead of Lady Godiva and the Duck Dynasty crowd guided by Long Duk Dong aka Halen. :)

Ya know, with a cast like that, I could have a made a great movie. Btw, the Brisket instructions look awesome and I'll have to give it a whirl. Thanks man.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Puritan PSM156
  • tonyb
    Options
    Seriously man ?? I'm eatin' cheeseburgers and nachos and the motherland was close by ?? Ron and Halen have some answerin' to do. :):)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I apologies for not taking you to the 1050 BBQ saturday when me & Dennis and his brother went, we did look around to find someone to join us but didnt see anyone.

I should have just made plans ahead of time so we knew when to meet up, I promise to make it up to you someday!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    Options
    No sweat my good man, have to give the local boys some crap though. I'm a foodie, as are many others here, so when in Texas I just assumed...

Russ is used to eating cupcakes out of gas stations, not this Dago. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's