The new Marantz PM and SA KI Ruby

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,704
https://youtu.be/clxdCvTrTt8

Anyone recognize the speakers?
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    F1nut wrote: »
    Anyone recognize the speakers?
    Polk Signature S60’s in white which are only available in Europe.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    I was waiting for Elvis to start singing
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    That is some aggressive toe in!
  • F1nut
    A better pic of the KI Ruby gear.

vb3je737i6v6.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• It would be interesting to discover the how/why of Mr. Ishiwata selecting the Signature 60's for this setup. Nice !

I was trying to figure out what the rear treatment scheme was and came across a picture that shows what it may be:

yfmwmypposaj.jpg

A nice little write up regarding Mr. Ishiwata's philosophy and thinking regarding some aspects of audio such as tweaks and digital.

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/ken-ishiwata-man-and-his-listening-room

Again, the Signature 60 selection ...... interesting ! Good work Polk. :)
    Sal Palooza
  • halo
    It would be interesting to discover the how/why of Mr. Ishiwata selecting the Signature 60's for this setup. Nice !

A nice little write up regarding Mr. Ishiwata's philosophy and thinking regarding some aspects of audio such as tweaks and digital.

http://www.the-ear.net/how-to/ken-ishiwata-man-and-his-listening-room

Again, the Signature 60 selection ...... interesting ! Good work Polk. :)

Yes, I agree. Polk did a remarkable job with the Signature S60's. :)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    Clipdat wrote: »
    That is some aggressive toe in!

One of the comments said this:

"The Grand Wizard of Marantz emerges from the shadows to tweak his beloved system. Fitting music to launch his Ruby Master series. Classic overlapping toe in on the speakers. Signature top to bottom."
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Man those speakers will never disappear into the room.... unless they are in an insane asylum.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Would somehow kindly elucidate the subject of the Grand Wizard's "classic overlapping toe-in" ? Thanks
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    "Ken sets up the Bostons so that their axes cross in front of the listener, which is a known technique for producing a wide sweet spot, but usually room reflections undermine its effectiveness."
  • One of Ishiwata's tweaking areas involves room treatments. Make the room disappear and the 'rules' can change.
    Sal Palooza
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    I found this post from Techradar about the demo interesting - https://www.techradar.com/news/marantz-ki-ruby-is-a-luxury-cd-player-and-amp-for-the-most-demanding-of-ears

"Paired with a set of prototype Polk floor-standing speakers (the specifications for which remain undisclosed, but we can’t wait to find out more as they sounded phenomenal during our demo session), the KI-Ruby set blew us away. "

It looks like an off-the-shelf Signature S60 but may have been customized/fine-tuned/improved for this demo.
  • TopperDude
    I too wondered about that aggressive toe-in when I was reading about that launch a few months back and had come across an interview with Ishiwata where he discussed the reason for it. Can't seem to find that article now though.

Anyways if i remmember correctly - He does this when its a big room demo with multiple seats. It sort of widens the sweet spot for the demo.
  • halo
    TopperDude wrote: »

"Paired with a set of prototype Polk floor-standing speakers (the specifications for which remain undisclosed, but we can’t wait to find out more as they sounded phenomenal during our demo session), the KI-Ruby set blew us away

Maybe the reviewer didn’t know what he was talking about. lol

The white finish on the S60’s is not available for purchase in the US.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Marantz has some killer products . Those are Wish list stuff for sure.

OK Polk please give us access to the White finish.
    I am really wanting to do white speakers in the basement room for some reason.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    white paint IS available

Not for long. I'm cornering the market. Retirement, here I come...
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    white paint IS available

True.
    I guess I could take pair down to my brothers body shop. Pearl white would do.

My neighbor just bought a pair of Focal 948's in white. Good looking for sure.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    My Road King is done-up in Glacier White Pearl . . . Looks spectacular when the sun hits it. This would be a sweet option for speakers
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • halo
    DSkip wrote: »
    Could be the S60 were put in place for pictures...

They're playing the music in the video ;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    halo wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Could be the S60 were put in place for pictures...

They're playing the music in the video ;)

Maybe.... it could be a stunt double
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Or, maybe Polk's new lines are gonna take design cues from the Sig's? Unlikely, but possible...
  • TopperDude
    halo wrote: »

Maybe the reviewer didn’t know what he was talking about. lol

The white finish on the S60’s is not available for purchase in the US.

The demo was at the Munich 2018 High End Show. Lucky Europeans get the nice finishes :)

• TopperDude
    For those that are curious about the whole demo setup or would like more views of the S60 in White finish, you might find this video interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhOom4mX8O0
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    I like blue lights.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    GlennDog wrote: »
    My Road King is done-up in Glacier White Pearl . . . Looks spectacular when the sun hits it. This would be a sweet option for speakers

As in Harley Road king? Dude nice! I got a Sporty and a Heritage Softail. We should ride together before the weather turns!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    It appears the PM-14S1 and SA-14S1 are going to be replaced with the PM-12 and SA-12, which happen to be very similar to the KI-Ruby gear.

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    F1nut wrote: »
    It appears the PM-14S1 and SA-14S1 are going to be replaced with the PM-12 and SA-12, which happen to be very similar to the KI-Ruby gear.
    Some will be happy to upgrade, and others will be lucky when the 14s hit the secondary market.