Best Sub for A9’s

Just got my A9’s and believe a sub would help round the bottom end out a little better. Mostly listening to music, variety (rock, jazz. rap, country), want solid full bass, but not overpowering, distorting the rest of the sound. Would like to keep it under $500-600.

Best Answers

Answers

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    ^^^what she said^^^

That SVS 12NSD is a nice sub, I wish I would have had the funds for two of them when they were clearing out.

You might also want to look at HSU http://hsuresearch.com/subwoofers.html I like that they can go from sealed to ported with ease.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2018
    ddjcrna wrote: »
    Just got my A9’s and believe a sub would help round the bottom end out a little better. Mostly listening to music, variety (rock, jazz. rap, country), want solid full bass, but not overpowering, distorting the rest of the sound. Would like to keep it under $500-600.

Before you spend money on something you don't really need, what are you driving the A9's with?

With the proper amplification you will not need a sub with those speakers.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ddjcrna
    ddjcrna Posts: 6
    onkyo 130W channel
  • F1nut
    edited August 2018
    ddjcrna wrote: »
    onkyo 130W channel

There's your real problem. You'll never get what the A9's can do until you drive them with a man's amp. A sub isn't going to help.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ddjcrna
    Recommendations? Do I need to add an additional amp, if so how much?
  • ddjcrna
    Recommendations? Do I need to add an additional amp, if so how much?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    What is your precise Onkyo receiver, we first have to make sure it has the preouts for a separate amp.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    You do have preouts so you can add a separate amp. Do you just have the two speakers or are you planning on adding more.

We tend to like Parasound amps. It all depends on what you want to spend, and how many channels you want to amp. Are you open to buying used?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I agree an amp would drive those speakers a lot better. Bass needs clean power.

Parasound, can't go wrong if you have the funds

Emotiva, not bad for the price. I've heard the gen 3 are warmer than the older ones. A9 are a bright speaker don't need to add a bright amp.

Outlaw Audio, Nice amps made by ATI or so I've heard. One system with two of their monoblocks did sound real good. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/2200.html

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • ddjcrna
    Think I may go with an Emotive XPA-3 Gen3. About $1200 for 3 channel @ 275 W. The Parasounds a little more than I can do. Still thinking about adding the SVS SB-2000. Will get amp first and go from there. Thanks all for the input.
  • F1nut
    Think again and start saving your pennies.

President of Club Polk

• I would say if you are going to get a sub you either have to go big or just power the a9s well. These speakers love to suck up power, especially if you are using them for their bass.
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
    • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• I have the a9s. Love them to pieces but I to have underpowered them. I got 2 subs to go with them. The dsw 660 for both. I started with one it it does amazing with the speakers. I just got curious what 2 would do and my God.... I got them both for cheaper than a good amp would cost. In the future I will definitely be upping my amplification when the funds are good. My reason for going with the subs first is they were both still cheaper than buying a good amp brand new. I've never been a fan of buying used stereo equipment. You never know how people treat their stuff before selling it