OK Plumbers....Riddle Me This

Recently we had our entire septic system relocated from the front to back yard. The tank remained in the front yard. A couple of turns were added to the main solid PVC line to reach the new location of the field. Also, 50 ft of field had to be added for new code compliance. Once in awhile when the toilet is flushed on the lowest level of the house, there is a loud rattling noise coming from behind the wall of the toilet....I think thats where the noise comes from. Heres my theory - since extra sections of PVC were added to reach the new field, and since there is 50 ft more of field, the system requires extra venting to eliminate this noise....would I be correct??

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited August 2018
    I don't believe I have the answer, but have a couple questions.

I assume they used a special radius and not a long radius when they made the extended run of PVC? Special radius is a much larger, gentle turn than an elbow.

I've been on well and septic most of my life, and the drain lines have pretty much been a straight shot to the tank, not wrapping around the house. I would assume you would need more slope to compensate for the added length but not sure.

Did they add a grinder pump by chance to ensure everything makes it to the tank? That's what came to mind when you said you heard a vibration.

Again, just speculating as this is not my area of expertise, and not seeing your home. I don't know how gravity can take the septic around the house with added turns without going deeper to gain velocity, without the added risk of a clog or backing up.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    As far as the radius of the PVC...I am not sure. It looked to be normal 90 degree turns but I will have to ask. All of the slopes were checked by the county and the tank is located higher than the field in the back yard, as the whole house is build on a natural slope to begin with. Im wondering if adding an under sink vent in this downstairs bathroon is the answer....
  • kevhed72
    edited August 2018
    Willow wrote: »
    b1y1q4y6mcpo.jpg
    Either mesmerized waiting for the answer, or mesmerized after reading such a long post? :D
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    The system outside your house, afaik, shouldn't affect your venting inside the house. You may want to check with the septic installer in that.

Could it also be water hammer as the toilet is being filled and not the flush?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • kevhed72
    edited August 2018
    mrbiron wrote: »
    The system outside your house, afaik, shouldn't affect your venting inside the house. You may want to check with the septic installer in that.

Could it also be water hammer as the toilet is being filled and not the flush?
    It could be...this bathroom gets alot of use and the tank parts are probably due to be replaced again.

• There shouldn’t be any vibration as the drain is only gravity driven, unless there is a grinder. If there is a grinder I would assume there is no rubber flex coupling at the house. The vibration I’m guessing is from the grinder which is transmitting through the pvc.

Next guess, you said this was the lower level. Is the drain higher than the lower level, just under the first level floor maybe? If that’s the case is the vibration from that waste being pumped up from the lower level toilet?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant