Vintage receiver, ebay purchase

Options
I bought a vintage Luxman RX-102 receiver on ebay and it came delivered today. The pictures of it looked like it was in good condition from the images on the listing. When it arrived the front of the receiver was loose and the buttons were all jenky. it was just wrapped in bubble-wrap with paper dunnage on each side. Nothing protecting the front other than the bubble wrap.

The seller is asking if i can fix it. Suggestions?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Return for full refund.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I assume i don't pay shipping? This is the first time I've received something this poorly packaged. They should have taken lessons from Festyboy.

congrats on sobriety. You the Man!
  • Clipdat
    Options
    There should be some wording regarding the return agreement in the auction description/page. Sometimes sellers try to stipulate that they won't pay the return shipping. However, if it was defective/damaged in transit/not as described, I believe they have to pay the return shipping regardless. Just check the auction page to see what the terms are.

Also, thanks. It was probably the best decision I've ever made.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The listing said no returns, but it has the ebay money back guarantee. The shipping charges were steep due to the weight of the receiver so if i have to pay for shipping it will mean i've spent more for shipping the unit than what the receiver cost me.

This seller has a good rating so i'm hoping he does the right thing.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    The listing can SAY no returns, but that doesn't mean anything. They can't NOT accept returns if the item is not as described. File a complaint with eBay right away.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The seller is working with me, but i get a little nervous when they ask ME what they should do. Because i'm all sorts of stupid when it comes to this kind of stuff. I just know it shouldn't cost me a dime if it showed up broken through no fault of my own.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Agree with Jimbo, make the official complaint through eBay that you are dissatisfied, and then that will guide them through the rest of the process.

The fact that they are trying to put this on you is ridiculous. It's their completely inadequate packaging that caused this in the first place, and it arrived to you in a condition that was not as advertised as a result. This is not on you to figure out.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    First of all. Decide if you want it still at all? If so determine how much return shipping would be? Then tell them you will try to get it fixed but it is only worth $25.00 to you now. Or whatever amount you think is fair for them to refund you with you keeping it. If you do not want it under no circumstances now. Like the others said,start a complaint with EBay and ask for all you paid for it. Seller will be charged for return shipping. They might not want it back because shipping could be 40-50 dollars. Lots of scammers out there when it comes to electronics so they might pay to get it back just because. Send them (seller) ,many photos of damage to help your case. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The seller has agreed to accept the return and I got a return label. I'll give them positive feedback for the way they handled the complaint. The most unfortunate part of this is these receivers are becoming more scarce by the year. I would have much rather had it delivered in good condition.
  • Clipdat
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I hear ya man. Sucks when you just assume that someone is going to know how to pack something properly for transit, and it then it shows up damaged because of their woefully inadequate pack job.

I've experienced nearly the same thing that happened to you here a few different times. I've pretty much seen it all, been buying off eBay for 19 years.

Sometimes I'll send messages beforehand asking something like "Will the item be packed securely in a sturdy box that won't allow for it to move around during transit?" or just "Could you describe the process that you're going to follow for packaging this item for safe transit, to ensure it arrives undamaged?" and sometimes people get huffy and upset that I'm "implying" that they don't know how to pack something. I just move on then. You can gauge a lot about a seller based on how they reply to an inquiry like that.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    I like to pack like I know it needs to survive a trip to Bikini Atoll... Because it does.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,185
    edited August 2018
    Options
    eBay is very risky to buy big heavy receivers unless they have original packing or the seller agrees to pack it bomb proof. I always ask the seller how they intend to pack and make them spell it out. If they won't agree to an over-sized box (at least 3" clearance on all sides), multiple layers of foam, etc, then I will pass.

Sounds like this worked out in the end, but I know the feeling of disappointment after waiting for your new toy, only to receive a box-o-crapola.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Options
    I’d be very interested to see the eBay listing. Can you please post a link?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    stretchl wrote: »

Honestly, i'm not sure how to post a closed listing but i'll see what i can do.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    stretchl wrote: »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263857004405
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    What a crying shame. Those lights look bright on the display, and that's a good thing.
    That would've been a great purchase.

Sorry it ended bad from poor packing. :'(

Are you going to send it back packed just like it was?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I returned it packaged closer to the way i think it should have been. I'm weird that way.

I mean 'wired' that way. B)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    I hear ya. I would've packed it better for the return trip too. Well done.
    The "Golden Rule" still lives in some of us! :)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    Be wary of "free shipping" on items like this.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Glad it worked out in the end. Maybe a level head on your part will reap you some good Karma in future. Maybe a even better deal will come your way? Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”