Bits are bits? Why a USB cable might matter

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
edited August 2018 in Going Digital
Apparently when your computer sends data to another storage device or unit, there is a check sum at the receiving unit and if a data set is bad then the transmission is retried.

Hence a bad usb cable only causes delay of transfer of data or bits.

In audio, the signal is tried once. So in theory a corrupted audio data set will not be corrected. Hence a good usb cable is needed.

https://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4376143/Fundamentals-of-USB-Audio
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Apparently when your computer sends data to another storage device or unit, there is a check sum at the receiving unit and if a data set is bad then the transmission is retried.

Hence a bad usb cable only causes delay of transfer of data or bits.

In audio, the signal is tried once. So in theory a corrupted audio data set will not be corrected. Hence a good usb cable is needed.

https://www.edn.com/design/consumer/4376143/Fundamentals-of-USB-Audio

And clean power helps to prevent these packet errors.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Interesting article and informative which spurred me to do a little extra research.

In looking at the different transfer mechanisms, you would think that any device supporting USB music playback would not use bulk transfer. It would make sense then why a good USB cable would be needed if you weren't validating the data using checksums and resending data.

I wanted to see if I could find out about my OPPO UDP-203 and see what transfer methods it's USB input used/supported. In looking at the OPPO UDP-203 manual, it states specifically:
    This unit supports “USB Mass Storage Class Bulk-Only Transport” devices only. Most USB
    thumbs drives, portable hard disk drives and card readers conform to this device class. Other
    USB devices such as MP3 players, digital cameras, and mobile phones may not be
    compatible.

So this device only supports Bulk Transfer. That leads me to conclude that it is somehow storing the data in memory and buffering to make sure bit for bit transfer is complete. This is not the mechanism you would think would be used for music playback such as Isochronous (transfers are used to transfer data in real-time between host and device).

So while I see that a USB cable might matter in some instances like Isochronous, it doesn't appear so in this case with the OPPO. It would be interesting to see what devices support USB and for what transfer mechanisms. That might lead someone to determine if buying a higher end USB cable is worth it or not.

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If everything in the chain mattered, one would have to assume the lowly USB cable would matter.

I personally feel that there was a noticeable difference when I went to a higher quality HDMI cable, and that is a purely digital transfer, a lot more than USB, but still digital. I don’t know why, could simply be better termination, or any number of simple things, but there was an improvement.

I think the same would apply to a USB cable.

It seems the laws of diminishing returns returns happened rather quickly when testing HDMI cables. I would assume that since USB is utilized for substantially less data transfer than HDMI, that diminishing returns would be noticed more quickly.

With that said, if I were to purchase a USB cable, I would be much more comfortable spending the extra money on a substantially more expensive USB cable from a quality manufacturer than the “it’s just as good, besides it’s only ones and zeros being sent so it doesn’t matter” manufacturer.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    The biggest thing in USB cables recently is putting the power wire in its own jacket outside of the data cable. Personally I think that was a step in the right direction to knock down the noise that historically was the biggest complaint with USB cables.
    IMHO
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    ... even though the power line in USB is DC?

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    hiseqz3u84tv.jpg

This Wireworld Starlight 7 made a difference for me.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)