Vintage Polk 8 ohm speakers

Options
Which ones are they? My 7 and 10 are all 6 ohm

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Monitor 4, Monitor 5JR+ and Monitor 12 all come to mind when thinking of 8 ohm vintage Polk Monitors.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Which ones are they? My 7 and 10 are all 6 ohm

How did you arrive at that conclusion?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Early 7 was nominally 8 ohm; early 10 was nominally 6 ohm, per the Polk brochure (ca. 1976 or 77).

11224559586_ec0e7fda63_z.jpgorigpolkmonitorspecs by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I really do need to re-scan this brochure some day...

11224531455_cfc885853d_b.jpgpolk_brochure_back_pg by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Options
    My LS70's are 8 ohm. I believe the LS50's and LS90's are 8 ohm as well.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • Cylontymany
    Options
    Both my 7 and 10 have the peerless tweeters in them. But in my research so far they are both still 6 ohm
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Who cares? Any good amp will drive them regardless of the impedance.
  • mhardy6647
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Indeed. Not sure why the OPs' worried. Nominal impedance is just a number and, as such, doesn't really say much about how easy or difficult of a load any given loudspeaker is.

What can matter is the frequency dependent impedance curve of the loudspeaker. If it dips to, say, 2 or 3 ohms in the neighborhood of, say, 75 to 200 Hz (where there is a lot of "musical energy", i.e., signal being delivered to it when listening to actual music), it might be an issue.

The other thing that can be an issue is what the frequency dependent phase shift plot looks like for any given loudspeaker.

There have been some amplifier killer loudspeakers made and sold over the years. I've never thought of the Polk 7 (nor even the 10) as among that rather unsavory group.

Here's an example of a classically difficult loudspeaker load - the Infinity IRS Beta.
    Two sets of impedance curves on this plot (separate woofer and widerange units) -- no phase data, unfortunately.

988BETAFIG1.jpg

source: https://www.stereophile.com/content/infinity-irs-beta-loudspeaker-measurements

• Cylontymany
    Options
    Is it true that the series 2 is 8 ohm for the Monitor 7 plus I am not worried about whether its 6 or 8 ohms my 7 are 7Bs which are 6 ohm I believe. I just want to nail down if there is such so I can get a pair.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Is it true that the series 2 is 8 ohm for the Monitor 7 plus I am not worried about whether its 6 or 8 ohms my 7 are 7Bs which are 6 ohm I believe. I just want to nail down if there is such so I can get a pair.
    FWIW, I totally don't get what your concern is, and I don't know, so I can't help, sorry.