Network Streamer Network Attached Storage

Decided to pull the trigger on the Cambridge 851D. Can't stand having my Iphone tied up when streaming my playlists or Spotify anymore. All reviews were pretty positive & they seem to be out of stock everywhere (hoping that is a good thing). Have one on back order from Cru...field. Still need to figure out the stand alone NAS issue. Something other than memory sticks. Need to have a solid storage media apart from any laptop etc. Anyone chime in with experience in this matter? Looking for just a couple Terabits of storage. And simplicity is key because I'm not digitally talented. :)
Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited August 2018
    I'd think about the future before setting up any NAS. Do you want to use it for anything other than music? Photos, documents, videos? Do you want it to run Plex or other apps? Do you want it to be redundant (RAID mirrored)? There are literally dozens, if not more options when it comes to stand alone NAS boxes. You an also build a small PC to run as an NAS for about the same cost, but the PC would tend to have better performance and more ability to run apps like Plex.

I started with a Buffalo Linkstation with two drives. I used it for streaming video rips to Kodi, music streaming to various devices, and backup/central location for photos/documents/install files.

I used that for a long time and it started to fill up (it was mirrored pair of 3TB drives). So, I added a 2nd NAS with a pair of 2TB drives and split my music/photos from my videos (which are space hogs). That was actually doing well until I decided I wanted to have a server which could run Plex and do other things.
    Eventually I landed at the server I have now (pair of hex core CPU, four 4TB drives in ZFS format). Now, I don't see you going that far, but it does show how things can evolve.

All that said, I'd probably start with a stand alone box from Buffalo, QNAP, Synology, WD/Netgear, etc. I would avoid a single disc device. Dual-bay minimum, but consider at a 4-bay for expansion ability. There is a huge price jump going from a dual bay to a 4-bay, but it is less than getting a 2nd device and they hold their value more.

Most of the time you can save money by getting your discs separately and installing them vs getting one that already has discs installed.

A good resource for NAS information/testing is at this website: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited August 2018
    I have been considering the Western Digital MyCloud mirrored NAS. It looks simple, like me. I don't stream movies and I'm not looking at setting up a "super network" just a more convenient, accessable (and backed up) storage solution.

Currently I have a WD external usb HDD connected directly to my Oppo BDP-103 via usb cable, but I'm also looking at a wireless solution.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • I got a Western Digital 3 Terabyte network back up hard drive years ago. I use it to back up my computer and also store movies and music. All of my Hi Rez music is on it and it streams to my Oppo via DLNA as well as via SMB (the only way I can get stereo and multichannel DSD files to stream without having to resort to using a USB stick) Works flawlessly.
  • steveinaz
    Very cool. The WD's seem like a good value.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • billbillw
    edited August 2018
    If I had it to do over again, I'd take a used/refurb business PC, throw in a pair of decent sized drives, load FreeNAS (on a USB stick), and go with that. It would easily out perform any 2-bay stand alone NAS and be cheaper.

Something like this:
    Ebay HP i5 mini-desktop

And a couple of these:
    Amazon 4TB WD Red (NAS) drives

You might need a 2nd drive caddy. Lots of tutorials on the web to setup FreeNAS.
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited August 2018
    can't go to wrong with this option, I've had mine for a year now no issues to speak of.

hg7edicxaa8n.jpg
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Hey, you! Get off of that! ^^^^^
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    And Paint it Black instead!
    I disabled signatures.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited August 2018
    I have a western digital ex2 nas for about 4 years now. No issues except i cannot run minimserver native on it like i can with a qnap. The wd. Is simple to use, and can run plex without having another oiece in the mix.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Almost forgot, if your not worried about backuo, why not oick up an aries mini from skip and put a 2 tb drive in it?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Brian has discovered the wondrous effects of alcohol and posting without proofreading.

Tell the Mighty B I said Hi..
  • erniejade
    Too funny and she says hi back.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    DSkip wrote: »
    Honestly, just adding your music to a computer on your network is easy and accomplishes the same thing as a nas.

That’s what I’ve been thinking, reading this thread. How is a network attached storage device different from simply having a dedicated hard drive on one’s computer and streaming the files wirelessly or via ethernet to the system?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • ThomasD
    ThomasD Posts: 260
    Lots of great suggestions. Hadn't considered just using a computer other than my laptop which I can't dedicate to the cause because it travels with me all the time.
    But again, what about a 'mirror' drive for the computer? Was thinking of something that would just sit on a shelf in the audio rack for convenience. Some of this seems to get easier to comprehend while some doesn't. And it's my ignorance and lack of experience that is to blame.
    Carver M4.0t, M1.0t, M200t, TX2, C1, C2, Marantz 2230, 2010, 4070, 1030, APPJ 2013, Rega Brio, Marantz Imperial 7's, Klipsch Heresy III, Quartets, KG4's, KG1's, 'The Sixes', R-12SW, Polk SDA 2a's, Monitor 7cTL's, SDA CRS's, 4a's, Zu Audio Dirty Weekends, Pro-ject Acryl TT, Cambridge 851N, 351C, Panamax 5300PM
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2018
    Well, with a simple NAS the software is already there; minimal configuration, and uses far less power..and the COST is relatively low. The WD MyCloud starts at about $179, and gets very good reviews.
  • billbillw
    edited August 2018
    It is possible to just share from a PC drive that runs 24/7, but Windows OS doesn't always cooperate when it comes to sharing files. It works sometimes, but then for unexplained reasons it doesn't work at other times or with certain devices.

With a stand alone NAS, you should be able to see those files from just about any device on the network. That goes for something off the shelf like the WD/QNAP/Synology devices, or with a built FreeNAS server.

You also don't have to worry about the NAS/FreeNAS server rebooting to install updates like a Windows machine. They may have firmware/software/OS updates, but they won't force them on you. It will be your choice when to install/reboot.

I should point out one benefit of building your own (ie: FreeNAS) is that if the hardware fails (CPU/Mainboard) fails on a stand alone NAS, you typically can't take the drive and put it in another device and salvage the data. With a FreeNAS machine, you could easily use those drives in a new FreeNAS build and not loose data.

Unfortunately, I did have one of my NAS boxes (a Zyxel) die suddenly and unexpectedly. It went into a boot loop that couldn't be fixed. I was never able to get the data off those drives. Luckily I had most of it stored on my PC, but I did loose a few things.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Ah. Seems to work fine using my Mac as a server, though I do wonder if I’d get better/cleaner/faster data via Ethernet rather than WiFi.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto