holy grail tube Bendix 6900

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    I recall a pair of Bendix 6900's could easily fetch $800. MU Engineering bought the Bendix Tube Division. They rebranded existing stock and continued to manufacture tubes with Bendix tooling. Before the secret got out, you could buy MU6900's for much less.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    yea Rich I'm interested to see where this one goes.

The Tung-Sol 6900 though has me perplexed AFAIK Tung-Sol never made any or branded any 6900 tubes. Pretty sure they made the 5687 tube although not positive in that respect. They may of re-branded others tubes as their own once again not sure on that.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    I don't know a lot about tubes I don't use, but I thought the 6900 was a Bendix model and only made by Bendix or as RIch stated MU Engineering.

Just like the Bendix 5992 is basically a 6V6 on steroids. They are unique in their structure and composition. Yet I've seen many other labels on the 5992, but there is no mistaking it's a Bendix tube.

May be the same case with the Tung Sol 6900.

Bendix tubes had their own model number and were designed from the ground up for specific uses. Many times the Bendix tube has been relabeled, but it's the same tube. Like the 6106 rectifier by Bendix for use in units that use the 5Y3. Lots of rebranded 6106's, but they all were made by Bendix. Again a very specific construction and composition. If you're sneaky you can buy the relabeled tubes cheaper sometimes because the seller doesn't know what they have.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I don't know a lot about tubes I don't use, but I thought the 6900 was a Bendix model and only made by Bendix or as RIch stated MU Engineering.
    H9

That was my belief as well Brock.

• heiney9
    If the Tung Sol isn't identical in construction then I don't think it can be considered a 6900 despite the markings or the sellers spiel.

RCA made special "red" tubes 5691 and 5692. They were unique 6SL7 and 6SN7 types w/special construction and bases. Many were relabeled over the years. But some just called them 5691's or 5692's but were standard spec 6SL7's or 6SN7's. The only way to know a "true" 5691/92 was to look at the construction.

I suspect this to be the case with the 6900 and all Bendix tubes.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2018
    yes I have seen that a lot lately with the 5691/92 tubes being plain ol 6sn7 or 6sl7. Seems that tube manufactures were trying to upsell a standard tube for a premium tube there towards the end of the tube era. Those are really easy to spot. this Tung-sol sure looks like the Bendix as I'm sure it is and the seller even has the Bendix paperwork in a picture as well. I sent an email to the seller just to get his/her take on it. Should be an interesting answer :smiley:
  • heiney9
    edited August 2018
    I know you know this Ivan, but I cannot stress enough that if one is serious about buying tubes, especially some of the nicer, holy grail types you need to educate yourself on construction. 75% of sellers have no idea what they are selling. They are either mimicking what has been told to them or just assuming it's what the label states.

I am back on the hunt for some very rare and specific American 12AX7's and all I am looking at is construction because any of the American tube labels can be on the tubes even if they didn't manufacture them.

In fact the other day I found a single and it's labeled "Fisher". Leave no stone unturned and ask the seller questions.

H9

P.s. I must add that even though the sellers don't know what they are selling, they are not in most cases intentionally trying to defraud you. They just don't truly know. They see markings like "made in England" and assume it's a Mullard. Look at the construction, look at the codes, etc.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @machone - this may be the tube you want for that Modwright preamp!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Thanks for thinking of me but I'll pass. Too rich for my blood. Saving for a DAC.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • pitdogg2
    well this went for a pricey sum 500.00 for one tube. Brent Jesse sells these when he has them for 600.00 a pair. I bet this will be re-evaluated by Brent. WOW is all I can say.
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    So... why? Will it be used? Simply stored as an investment? I don't get it.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto