Audio nuggets YOU have learned along the way...

Options
124»

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,598
    Options
    John, my personal findings and opinions are not "wrong on many levels".
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Disclaimer: This is strictly a personal findings, "in my opinion" type thread. Post up an audio nugget that you have learned, that may or may not fly into the face of audiophile conventional wisdom.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    edited August 2018
    Options
    You cant possibly have any "Personal Findings" about how my rig sounds, as you have never had the luxury of hearing it.

Clipdat wrote: »
    John, my personal findings and opinions are not "wrong on many levels".

Fixed it for you.
    Some days MY system just isn't going to sound how I want it to, and engage ME musically like it usually does. It's not the system's performance, it's ME.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I guess you missed the OP's disclaimer I quoted.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    And you missed the point of my post, which is to illustrate that what I have learned is that in this hobby, somebody is always ready to start an argument over the stupidest of things, including a misunderstanding. Now if only we could get you to use the quote feature correctly, perhaps some of those could be avoided. :p:D
    I guess you missed the OP's disclaimer I quoted.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Options
    You baited me into an "argument", congrats.

Anyway, I think you took my post way too literally, and for some reason got defensive about your "rig" that I haven't had the "luxury" of hearing.

Think of my comment less about the physical sounds being produced, and more of the feeling of musical enjoyment and satisfaction that you normally associate with a listening session.

I'm sure you've had experiences where you sit down and try to get into some tunes and it just doesn't grab you, or something sounds a little off to you. No, a tube hasn't gone out, and the balance setting is still where it was yesterday. Nothing has physically changed. It's just that for some reason, your perception of the sound isn't quite the same, or your brain isn't releasing the same endorphins or amount of dopamine.

That's all I meant, that sometimes your system isn't going to "perform" up to your expectations. But then in a few days when you turn it on again, it'll be back to having that magic.
    And you missed the point of my post, which is to illustrate that what I have learned is that in this hobby, somebody is always ready to start an argument over the stupidest of things, including a misunderstanding. Now if only we could get you to use the quote feature correctly, perhaps some of those could be avoided. :p:D

• nooshinjohn
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Nope... I understood your intent in the original post, and took no offense whatsoever. The entire thing was a put on, but I can honestly say I have never had that experience. When I do get the chance to truly listen, my rig never fails to dazzle and delight.

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,204
    Options
    Think of my comment less about the physical sounds being produced, and more of the feeling of musical enjoyment and satisfaction that you normally associate with a listening session.

I'm sure you've had experiences where you sit down and try to get into some tunes and it just doesn't grab you, or something sounds a little off to you. No, a tube hasn't gone out, and the balance setting is still where it was yesterday. Nothing has physically changed. It's just that for some reason, your perception of the sound isn't quite the same, or your brain isn't releasing the same endorphins or amount of dopamine.

That's all I meant, that sometimes your system isn't going to "perform" up to your expectations. But then in a few days when you turn it on again, it'll be back to having that magic.
    I think I get what you're saying. I'm that way when it comes to enjoying movies. If I've had a bad day or am frustrated about something, sometimes I'll watch a movie to "escape" and I find that the movie is really bad. Then I'll have a chance to watch the same movie a couple years later and I'm like, "Wow, that movie was great, I'd put that in my top ten!"

I have about twenty movies in my top ten.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Newspaper and cardboard are not packing materials -- or "Don't let this happen to you."

uralm40fhi0t.png

:*
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    Wow, that's got to hurt!!

What a shame. I hate stupid people who think a sheet of newspaper is supposed to cushion an object during shipping. Reminds me of the chess set I bought off eBay 6 months ago or so. The box was destroyed and by the grace of God only, the chess set I bought was undamaged. It was a miracle. o:)

I was expecting something like those speakers experienced, total destruction. :s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Packing "peanuts" are also useless with anything fragile and/or valuable.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Gear sounds better when it's warm and up to temp, so let your system play music for at least 20 minutes (or more) before doing any critical listening.
  • Tony M
    Options
    So you're a dirty grandpa? ( I forget the guys name who did that show , but it was hilarious .)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    So you're a dirty grandpa? ( I forget the guys name who did that show , but it was hilarious .)

How could you forget Johnny Knoxville?
  • Tony M
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Because I just went through a tough month and my mind got a little overheated at times. 102 temp. one time. :/

I guess Johnny Knoxville was a name that got erased temporarily. :s

I was sitting here thinking exactly what you asked! I should've used the web! I didn't even think to do that! :# LOL!
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I would say this thread has...

No stop signs, speed limit
    Nobody's gonna slow me down
    Like a wheel, gonna spin it
    Nobody's gonna mess me round
    Hey satan, payed my dues
    Playing in a rocking band
    Hey momma, look at me
    I'm on my way to the promised land
    I'm on the highway to hell

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,894
    Options
    You baited me into an "argument", congrats.

Anyway, I think you took my post way too literally, and for some reason got defensive about your "rig" that I haven't had the "luxury" of hearing.

I understood what you meant, and I agree, I have had many moments like that, especially after a long day at work, I also feel I enjoy it better later in the evening..

• gwh
    gwh Posts: 1,451
    Options
    It's just money.
    HT:
    Martin Logan Motion 40
    Martin Logan Motion 50XT
    Emotiva Airmotiv E2
    SVS SB16 Ultra
    Def Tech Reference Sub
    Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.