Question from a Newbie...Speaker System

Options
Hey guys,

Full disclosure, I don't know much about speakers (much = anything), which is why I'm here. I'm sure this question has been asked before so I'm apologising in advance, but I'm hoping you guys can help.

This is what I need:

A couple of speakers inside my family room (it's a very large room), and a couple of speakers when you walk out of my family room onto the backyard deck (outdoor speakers obviously, thinking Atrium 6's, open to recommendations). These 4 speakers need to work together, and work separately too. The two sets will be different speakers of course, but all Polk, just 2 indoor and 2 outdoor. I want to control those speakers with some sort of App, maybe with a google home device, Amazon Alexa perhaps. I want to be able to make just the inside speakers play music, or just the outside speakers play music, so they don't all have to play at the same time always. The speakers can all be wired, no wireless needed. If you could recommend which speakers I should buy and how to use them the way I'd like, that would be amazing.

I hope this makes sense, I'd like that same google home device, or Amazon Alexa device to also control other things in the home (thermostat, lights etc.) but that's probably a discussion for another forum.

I truly appreciate the assistance, any recommendations will probably be implemented so thank you in advance.

Kyle

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    You'll need a power source, perhaps a simple stereo receiver with an A and B speaker selector. That will allow you to play either pair separately or together. You will also need a source for the music.

Since you appear to want the music more for background than critcal listening any of Polk's entry level speakers will do for inside.

I'm not sure why anyone would want a device that spies on them, but that's not my problem.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Options
    Would you ever be playing different music indoors and outdoors at the same time?
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    A Denon HEOS Amp connected to each pair of speakers would be awesome. They can be synchronized or play separately. HEOS has its own app for control and it also integrates with Alexa.

https://usa.denon.com/us/heos-amp

Sonos has a similar product...
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    You say a large room, get something that can do an adequate job like the RTiA7.
    Or maybe the S55 or S60? Either series should sound fine provided you power them correctly and don't overdrive them. Outside/background music? Either the A4 or A6 will be fine, it seems the 4's can be had for 1/2 the price of the 6's.

Oh, and welcome aboard!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mtnhickorynut
    Options
    Only 2 speakers inside, I would recommend the Polk Signature S60. You won't be disappointed.

I like the Denon/HEOS idea too.
  • TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Options
    I also recommend looking into the HEOS line for your multi-room audio needs
  • Kyle12
    Kyle12 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey guys,

This is super helpful, thank you, I think I'll probably go with the HEOS option!

Anyone know of a good speaker wire I can use for the outside speakers. They will see some exposure to the elements for sure, rain, winter, and direct sunlight. Also, which guage should I be going with, 12 or 14 possibly? The runs will be about 50-75 feet long I would say.

Thanks!
    Kyle