Audio nuggets YOU have learned along the way...

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    The more you drink the better I look
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    erniejade wrote: »

And your getting darn near sexy at your B-day party.....
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Beer makes music sound better.

Dilly Dilly!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    steveinaz wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Beer makes music sound better.

Dilly Dilly!

And that beer makes me want to kill myself...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited August 2018
    NEVER, EVER allow anyone to carry your prized Tyler Lindbrook speakers down a flight of stairs. I wish I could find that picture....

@treitz3

Would you beez talking about this pic of Tom and his flying speakers at Carver Fest

8ivlj8n3a2e3.jpeg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    That be the one...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    That be the one...

Ouch...
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    That's the one I was thinking of too. :o:#:s
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    Anybody remember if he got hurt?

Also, what kind of speaker got destroyed?
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Here you go6z8spt274s5p.jpeg
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • nooshinjohn
    Tony M wrote: »

Tyler Linbrooks...

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    All good advice @Tony M I’ve got an SAE amp that’s been sitting in the box for years. Eventually I want to use it for my garage setup. Any startup advice?

Use cheap speakers to start with. I hope it starts working from the get-go. SAE gear is pretty good aren't they?

Start with a variac. Do not use without hooking it up to a variac.

Most of us don't have a Variac. I did think about that but didn't include it in my response to Dave's question. You're right. Maybe I should have.
    Dave might own one. ;)

WARNING, WARNING! THREAD CAREENING TEMPORARILY OFF-TOPIC!

tumblr_ojg6csj2fL1ri5ljho1_500.gif

If you don't feel like buying a Variac, you can make one (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) with parts you can (still) get at your nearest Home Despot or Lowes or even local hardware/electrical supply store (if you're lucky enough to have one).

Google "Dim bulb tester" for instructions & info.
    Here's one example, to get you started :)
    https://antiqueradio.org/dimbulb.htm

szzt0fp04wke.png

The goal with these devices, by the way, is to ease the components back to life rather than slamming them with AC mains voltage & wakin' 'em up with a jolt. The DBT can also help diagnose problems (short circuits, e.g., in the power supply or even downstream of it) without toasting fragile and sometimes expensive components inside the device being tested/reawakened.

This is (FWIW) more of a must-have for vacuum tube hardware (with high voltage power supplies) than for solid state stuff, but on the other hand, the use
    of solid-state rectification in any component

The main idea is to use lower input voltage to reform the component's electrolytic capacitors, particularly the "filter" caps in the power supply. This is, at the least, a do no harm exercise, and can rescue capacitors that might otherwise be (more or less) toasted by a hard start up.

This said, electrolytic capacitors are pretty brute force solutions to a couple of problems (the need for large values of capacitance at high-ish voltages, in a compact package and cheap). Two factoids (strongly held opinions, empirically informed) about electrolytics. 1) any that are more than about three decades old have outlived their usefulness and should probably be replaced and 2) the ones you can buy today really are better than the ones you got three, four, or more decades ago.

Just sayin'.

OK IT'S SAFE TO RETURN TO THE THREAD NOW. MOVE ALONG, NOTHING TO SEE HERE.

;)

Great info Doc! Appreciate it!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited August 2018
    De nada.
    I see I failed to finish one sentence in that little opus :p

it should have said:
    This is (FWIW) more of a must-have for vacuum tube hardware (with high voltage power supplies) than for solid state stuff, but on the other hand, the use
    of solid-state rectification in any component will let the capacitors 'come to life' even at low input voltages, which is "best" for reforming them. Tube rectifiers don't wake up until the input voltage is 50 or 60 VAC, so - despite the fact we all do it - reforming electrolytic capacitors in a tube amp doesn't work as well with a tube rectifier as with solid state rectifiers.

... or words to that effect :|
  • Tony M

Tyler Linbrooks...

OUCH! :o:s
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    erniejade wrote: »

I can't drink THAT much ...... EVER!! >:)B)
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Turn your amp off, and/or unplug before making or removing any connections. You might accidentally drop the end of the interconnect and it could land on your speaker output terminals..... :*
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited August 2018
    ^^ Adding to the above, unplug it and wait a few minutes for it to completely discharge. I learned first hand that just because it's switched off and unplugged doesn't mean it's not still "live" in some weay.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    The adage for buying coins is "Buy the book before you buy the coin". I learned that I should have done more research before I bought any equipment.
  • Clipdat
    Just when you thought you've done enough research, do some more.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Upgrade to the point you have pleasing sound. And then learn how to be satisfied with it.

Unless you are rich then party on.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Upgrade to the point you have pleasing sound. And then learn how to be satisfied with it.

Unless you are rich then party on.

I stopped right after this nugget...

cw8bx58dmgjh.png
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Always have fuses on hand. I learned that last night =P
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    A bird in the hand feels funny...
  • nooshinjohn

I find it better to release the bird, especially when some jackwagon on the freeway cuts you off and then slams on the brakes.

• maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I stopped right after this nugget...

cw8bx58dmgjh.png

I'm stuck on vinyl:

1518c29c044ebf888c7580302ffcfda7.jpg

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Yep....but 2 in the bush ? Now we have a story over a few beers.. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    tonyb wrote: »

Yep....but 2 in the bush ? Now we have a story over a few beers.. :)

Bushes are dead. Russ already came by...
  • Clipdat
    Some days your system just isn't going to sound how you want it to, and engage you musically like it usually does. It's not the system's performance, it's you.
  • nooshinjohn
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Some days your system just isn't going to sound how you want it to, and engage you musically like it usually does. It's not the system's performance, it's you.

This is wrong on many levels. In my rig, if it doesn't sound right, something is usually up. I lost a power tube a while back and it did not take long to find out what was up once I felt something was out of sorts. Other times, a setting could be off somewhere, balance shifted one war or the other.

Never has it been something with me.