Okki Nokki mk2

Just ordered this record cleaner. Will be doing a full review as I start the process of cleaning my collection and putting back with static free sleeves.
Super excited!!
Will report my findings with pics.

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Cleaning records....you know you bought it cause of the name! :D

Congrats!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I was reading a review of it in an Stereophile mag. just the other day.

Looking forward to your review though too. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Yes, indeed! Wondering how well it works out for you!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I’m ready to start cleaning, cleaner arrives tomorrow. Already have the replacement sleeves for after cleaning the LP’s
    9k32gfzoo44o.jpeg
  • joecoulson
    Ok! Here goes. I’ll be doing this in multiple posts as not to bog down the circuits with too many images in one post

Shipment arrived today from Audio Advisor. The lid came in a separate box and was obviously not made by O.N. but it still looked like to be of good quality.
    The box of the main unit was triple boxed! I don’t think I have had anything yet triple boxed and the bubble wrap looked expensive. This thing was very tightly packed and obviously well thought out. No damage on the unit at all.

hodpo8zxtak3.jpeg
    aw06awk5ioa4.jpeg

Inside was the unit, an IEC power cord, a bottle of O.N. Record cleaner concentrate, the manual, a wooden handled goat hair brush (why goat hair?) the vacuum tube head (which with the unit comes a standard 12” LP vacuum head, other sizes are available but I only have 12’s) and finally the record clamp which is screwed into the platter to hold the LP in place.
    ckp8uceazdu9.jpeg
    vcm0v8zdixhs.jpeg
    3zkxiq8dkb9u.jpeg
    There is a drain tube at the back of the unit for the liquid that is sucked out of the record surface. There is also the main power switch on the back next to the IEC power port
    The front of the unit has the logo, one power rocker for forward and backward operation of the table and another power rocker for the vacuum.
    The bottom has four high quality rubber feet and also a metal vent cover for the vacuum to breath.
    The whole thing is heavy (made from aluminum) and has a nice white paint job on it. Sitting there it actually looks very nice with the plexiglass cover on it.
    The cable is long enough to get working in most environments.
    The platter is metal with a solid rubber cover. The center has the threads for the clamp. Looks to be 1/4” thread like those used for a camera. The clamp itself has a nice built in rubber ring on ththe bottom to hold the record still, but is solid metal otherwise.
    Where the vacuum head goes into the unit is a hole with a hardened plastic grommet. The vacuum head is also hardened plastic and has the spring (for when cleaning is complete- it pops up) and the built in felt like brushes either side of the vacuum slot.

Usage coming up
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Ooooo....ahhhhh!!
  • halo
    Looks fancy!
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Before cleaning a single record, have the unit recapped.
  • Clipdat
    Nice review. My only worry would be getting the center label wet accidentally, as it looks like happened here:

88tck2vjccy0.jpeg

Would be nice if there was a type of clamp that made a complete seal around the label area.

Were there anything in the instructions regarding a need to rinse with distilled water before letting them air dry?

I just came across an interesting article about vinyl cleaning here: https://www.analogplanet.com/content/if-charles-kirmusss-record-cleaning-machine-and-regimen-correct-everyone-elses-wrong
  • Viking64
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Ok just had the internals recapped, all silver connects, new ps audio power cable and isolations feet. It works exactly the same as it did before?

Yeah, but wait until you hear the difference in the records. :)
  • joecoulson
    It did not say anything about doing a distilled bath after the solution? I’ll have to read up more on that.

I did get a little liquid on the label here as this was one of the first runs and I was trying to snap a pic at the same time. No damage done as i did dry it immediately

I agree about a label sized clamp.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congrats on your Vacuum Type Cleaner, a "must have" for the serious Vinyl enthusiast!

Wont be long you will have the "perfect amount" of cleaning solution down, along with the brush angle to never having a damp label.
  • Tony M
    Very nice review. ;)B)

You show a picture of the felt pad coming loose from the tube suction slot. Is that a concern for you?
    wru7shhcblxd.png
  • joecoulson
    Tony M wrote: »
    Very nice review. ;)B)

You show a picture of the felt pad coming loose from the tube suction slot. Is that a concern for you?
    wru7shhcblxd.png
    It was until I realized I did it. I used a toothbrush to dislodge the dirt from the tube, and in doing so loosened the adhesive from the tube (which was very wet).
    I dried the tube to see if it was a flaw and the adhesive gripped back very well. I pulled the tube off at intervals after that to see if anything had been affected , but it stayed exactly in place.
    Moral, don’t used a toothbrush to clean the felt. Rinsing will do fine.
    But I do wonder if they will last a few hundred cleanings or not.

• Tony M
    Thanks for that insight.

I guess 100 records means 200 sides. So I wonder what new pads would cost.

Okki Nokki should have some replace pads available.
  • joecoulson
    They do. Probably cheaper with the third party options out there. We’ll see how they last.

So to follow up, I did not have a hanger to listen to full songs after cleaning when I got done last night as all but me were asleep.
    So I just got done listening to about 10 songs on four different albums. From Dire Straits, to Tori Amos, Peter Gabriel to Talking heads. Here is what I noticed.
    Massive reduction in the pops and clicks. There is a slight static in the very background which is only present on the Tori record. The music almost sounds like it’s coming off a CD or streaming it’s so transparent. The older pressings (Talking Heads and Dire Straits) seem to have the most change from before cleaning. But what I didn’t expect is for those recordings to sound better than my newer “Audiophile” grade pressings (Peter Gabriel and Tori Amos). While the Peter Gabriel was far superior to the Tori, it didn’t compete with the older ones. The imaging, crisp highs and just pure cleanliness in the music was not something I had ever heard coming from any record player I have ever owned. I am so glad I got this, yes it was a pretty penny to pay, but I think it will be more than worth it in the end. If I can carve out some time, I’m hitting the antique malls this weekend!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences

Happy listening
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • joecoulson
    My pleasure and Thank You for reading.
  • halo
    Great review! Now I want one as I’m not getting the same results as you are with the Oki Noki as I am with the Squeaky Clean RCM III.
  • Tony M
    Great update! B)

How do you let / get the brush dry every few albums?

I haven't heard anybody say that after cleaning a record and putting back into a static free sleeve, will you want to clean the record again when you pull it out to play it again?

I have discovered in the past month that having an anti-static gun is fantastic. It's a shame they cost almost 100.00 .

I would think the record would stay clean for quite a few playing's. No?

Is static eliminated completely by using those sleeves? I've been itching to buy a few hundred sleeves if they really do reduce the static completely or a heck of a lot. ;)
  • joecoulson
    So the brush used to spread the fluid, you actually want that to be pretty soaked if you are doing a run of cleaning. After the first three or so, I leave it standing upright on a plate, to stop liquid from getting on whatever surface I am working on and to keep the fluid from going back into the handle. It stays wet the whole time and you use about half the fluid to clean vs the first three records or so, make sense?

As far as the vacuum head brush, the felt gets just damp after initiating the vacuum but the dust is left behind. This is dramatically reduced by using the felt brush before the whole cleaning cycle. It means less times I need to remove the vacuum head and wipe/clean it.

The brush I use when pulling the record out to play is less about cleaning and more about static discharge:
    bd7c9l6akzup.jpg

This is the brush I use, I do one or two rotations then move it towards the spindle to discharge. I do have static in my environment but it is drastically reduced by those sleeves. If the volume is up, I can hear the static pop discharge when the brush touched the spindle and this has almost disappeared since cleaning and using the sleeves, but I am a creature of habit :smile:

The records have been staying clean (the ones I have played more than once since cleaning) but again, creature of habit, I still use the cleaning brush on them when first laying the LP on the platter.

Finally, the best part about the sleeves for me personally is I orientate the sleeve so the open end is open to the album cover, meaning i can tile the cover towards my open hand and the record begins to slide out. It makes playing albums (and storing them while playing) a breeze.

• Clipdat
    edited August 2018
    On topic, I've seen some brushes with supposed anti-static properties, kinda cool: https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audioquest-anti-static-record-brush-gold
  • joecoulson
    Boundless Audio Carbon Fiber Anti-Static Vinyl Record Cleaning Brush https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071DWG4C8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_p7dHBbZ1GGVH2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    joecoulson wrote: »
    As far as the vacuum head brush, the felt gets just damp after initiating the vacuum but the dust is left behind. This is dramatically reduced by using the felt brush before the whole cleaning cycle. It means less times I need to remove the vacuum head and wipe/clean it.
    Nice review so far, Joe, I was curious about this unit for the different approach to vacuum record cleaning.

I'm not quote clear on this bit quoted above. Can you clarify?

I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited August 2018
    PS - careful with those brushes. I wasn't paying attention while using a similar brush in my early days with vinyl - when I knew even less than I do now - and I went to go give a record a quick brush while holding it in my hand. Caught a corner of the brush on the record surface near the label. The aluminum handle wrap corner planted a nice scratch on an otherwise clean copy of The Church's Gold Afternoon Fix. I was in such disbelief and denial that I did this not once, but twice!

Almost as good as my favorite vinyl-related mishap story by good buddy Bruce... Makes me laugh every time I think about what the reaction must've been.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    msg wrote: »
    ....what the reaction must've been.

*must of, per say, tho I ain't never seen it in a book.