• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    edited August 2018
    Options
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Just discovered this hanging from the 2nd story of my house. It's nearly the size of a volleyball. Swear to God I'm cursed.j0xefms3oloz.jpg
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    ^^^^A long adjustable pole such as what you use for a snow roof rake would be my solution to destroying that nest. Maybe set it on fire to once it hits the ground just for good measure.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    Let a professional handle that one. My bet is they are already in the attic or the soffits. No telling how big that problem really is.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Looks like a hornet's nest. My experience is that they don't take up residence anywhere but in the nest that they build/enlarge as needed. Do you have winter where you live? If it's in a private corner of your house that is unlikely to be disturbed, I'd let it be until they're killed by freezing temperatures then take the nest down.

If you don't have freezing temperatures coming up or the nest is too close to the action in your house, you could kill them--An entire can of wasp/hornet spray, delivered through the front door of the nest at nighttime, would be pretty effective in killing them.

If you're not comfortable with the above, a professional will make quick work of them.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Bald faced hornets. Had the nest taken care of by an exterminator last night. Given the height & nastiness of said hornets, money well spent.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Bald faced hornets. Had the nest taken care of by an exterminator last night. Given the height & nastiness of said hornets, money well spent.

A wise choice! It's amazing how fast those things can appear this time of year.