Gauging interest in Clarity MR/CMR group buy for the 2.3TL in OE values.

gmcman
gmcman Posts: 1,731
edited February 2018 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
This is somewhat of more rapid-paced group buy. I can get more details in short order but for the most part, I was e-mailing Clarity about the possibility of releasing the 5.8uf and the 8uf MR in their normal inventory. This led to a conversation with the North America sales rep and we could get in on a current group buy that's primarily focused on non-catalogued capacitance values.

This will include both the 400V MR & the CMR and the pricing is roughly 30% off of retail, so for example the big 27uf will run about $100- $105.

The 5.8uf and 8uf are roughly $47 & $59 respectively, about $1-3 cheaper for the CMR.

Prices for the MR and CMR are roughly the same, the CMR is about $1-2 cheaper due to exchange rate at time of manufacture.

Values are 5.8uf, 8uf, 16uf, 18uf, & 27uf.

If you desire to upgrade, the upgraded lead-outs run about $2 per cap and if you need extended leads, 2-3", or even slightly longer, then add another $1-2 per.

I've never done a group buy, just kinda stumbled onto this, but the rep is willing to add us to the order so I would say within a few days, we need to know what we need. Looks like the weekend is about where we need to be as far as knowing what we want.

I'm mainly after the 5.8 & 8 uf, but for the discount, I might be all in...but at least if you want to save for later, you can get the non-regularly stocked caps now and add at a future date, albeit without the discount.

Preliminary estimates put the complete 2.3TL set around $790, again, a few bucks more per cap if you want the upgraded leads and/or extended leads.

I haven't seen these caps in person but the consensus is they are big, perhaps someone can chime in on how to best mount them to the Gimpod boards or similiar.

The prices don't include shipping, I can iron out the payment details, I'm fine with collecting and sending a lump sum to the rep. Naturally you can send the payment to him directly but it sounded like one payment would be easier.

I will ask him if individual payments from members via Paypal or other is acceptable which I'm sure it would, just looking to make it easier.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Comments

• BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    How many people do you need?
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Too rich for my blood. You will soon understand why Trey builds his own substrate and goes point to point with those.
  • gmcman
    edited February 2018
    BC6 wrote: »
    How many people do you need?

He would like to get 10 units each (caps), so 5 people but he's willing to add ours to his order regardless This is mainly for the 5.8 & 8 uf but you can add the remaining values that are regular stock to the order if you want.

This is pretty much a chance to get not only all the caps for the 2.3TL at a good discount, but mainly the 5.8uf & 8uf that aren't normally stocked.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Too rich for my blood. You will soon understand why Trey builds his own substrate and goes point to point with those.

I hear ya, but if you want the 2 caps that aren't normally manufactured this is a good time to get in.

Yeah, I've seen those crossovers he builds...curious how I'm going to get all them together but I can cross that bridge down the road.

Also,.the lead time on these is about 10 weeks, payment needs to be made up front.

I guess the title of gauging interest isn't as accurate as I wanted, but more or less...if you want in this is it for at least the next 6 months until his next possible group buy.

• BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Guess who just bought 2.3tl's for $660 on eBay?! That's right! Sleep deprived me! I don't know why anyone would end an eBay auction at 2:00 in the morning, but I powered through and won the auction. Afterwards I was so excited I couldn't sleep. I've been awake a long time. :)

I haven't seen the speakers, but I'm assuming they're stock, so tentatively count me in for all of the caps. I have a wife-approved budget of $1500, and I think I can stretch a little past that, so I plan on upgrading as much as possible.

Cap-wise I don't really know what I need. For example, what's the difference between MR and CMR? Do I want longer upgraded lead-outs? I put Sonicaps in the SDA 2's and love the sound, but I'm assuming Clarity is better? Mostly because they're more expensive.
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Man on a mission :)
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    Man on a mission :)

Better toss him a life jacket, dude is in the deep end lol
  • gmcman
    Sorry for the late update, here's the details.

The date to place the order has been pushed to March 10. The prices are as follows:

5.8uf/400Vdc CMR @$46.60 (40mml x 60mmD)

8uf/400V CMR @$58.40 (40mmLx 60mmD)

16uf/400V CMR @$93.78 (50mml x 60mmD)

18uf/400V CMR @$94.43 (50mmLx 60mmD

27uf/400V CMR @$99.78 (85mmL x 60mmD)

5.8uf/400Vdc MR @$47.10 (50mmL x 51mmD)

8uf/400V MR @$59.00 (50mmL x 51mmD)

16uf/400V MR @$94.71 (85mmL x 51mmD)

18uf/400V MR @$95.36 (85mmL x 51mmD)

27uf/400V MR @$100.77 (65mmL x 76mmD)

Pricing is for quantities up to 25 pieces total, 2 per line item. If we get 13 members, (2 caps for each value per person) we will get another discount, roughly an additional 25% more off these prices.

Add $1.50 per cap for optional silver-plated OFC teflon-insulated leadouts in standard lengths.

You can also request longer standard leadouts, price per cap I believe is also $1.50 per cap, I will reconfirm that.

An (estimated) $80 shipping charge for 3-5 day traceable shipping from ICW/ClarityCap UK factory to the home office which will be split evenly depending on number of people in this purchase.

Once the complete order reaches the office of the rep, local domestic shipping from New Jersey by USPS Priority Mail will be invoiced to each participant.

Factory lead time is 10-11 weeks ARO

Pricing is firm through March 15, 2018

Please PM me for payment details. Will be via Paypal or personal check, buyer is responsible for Paypal fees.

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Good Lord, this is tempting to me. I haven't added up the totals for this. Let me do that and get back to you, but I am interested.

One question. Why are you considering either (or both?) the MR and CMR?

Thanks for organizing this.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • gmcman
    edited February 2018
    headrott wrote: »
    One question. Why are you considering either (or both?) the MR and CMR?

Mainly because the speakers have responded favorably to just about every mod I've done to them, along with upgrading source components, amp, etc.

These caps have an overwhelming, positive user base so I really have the itch to see how good they really are. The price is a big kicker, I agree, I'm somewhat content with them now, but at the same time I would love to see how they could possibly sound with these caps.

I guess my rationale is, if I can pursue a near $1K CD player/ DAC, Pre, or even more for a good amp, why not this? Its not in my budget right now, there's other plans, but I also don't want to pay full price to try them out either....:)

OTOH, they could change the sound in such a way you want to get rid of them. That's the gamble I'm facing as well but again, it's hard to find a bad review of them.

headrott wrote: »
    Thanks for organizing this.

Thanks....I don't mind at all. I've gained an enormous amount of wealth from this site, I wouldnt be where I'm at with my gear without it.
  • gmcman
    Just a reminder that this weekend will likely be the close of the buy.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    I think if this had come up 5 years ago there would have been a lot of interest.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    edited March 2018
    I don't think were going to get to the 13 member mark for the deeper discount... :)
    F1nut wrote: »
    I think if this had come up 5 years ago there would have been a lot of interest.

Yeah, I can understand that. It's a little more than I want to spend to try them out, hopefully history will repeat itself and my gear will respond favorably.

So far it's myself and BC6, looks like it will close Sunday night.

Also, just a reminder, you don't have to purchase the entire set. As long as each member goes with 2 caps of each value.

If you want to just go with the tweeter circuit, you can get just the 5.8, 8 and 16uf, just one pair or all 3.

Any cap that has 13 members, or at least 25 units, qualifies for a deeper discount..roughly another 25% less.
  • gmcman
    edited August 2018
    After a good wait, which actually worked in my favor allowing me time to get a few more tweaks out of the way, they have arrived. BC6, I will drop yours off at the post office on Monday.

Should be interesting, will take some creativity as they are a bit larger.

r8fur6f8xgeu.jpg

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    You will soon understand why Trey builds his own substrate and goes point to point with those.

Ha, yeah, the 27uf cap is definitely porky... B)

g23py0owtwfy.jpg

Not as large as the can but still quite hefty.

6ig00p5ltb91.jpg

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Ain't dem purdy..... B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    With that Campbell's cap for the low pass, you should have some really beefy bass response.