Cool over the fireplace TV swing/pull down wall mount.

Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,009
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Heat kills electronics.

Worst place to put a TV.

Hard pass.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited August 2018
    Jstas wrote: »
    Heat kills electronics.

Worst place to put a TV.

Hard pass.

as well as that little bit of soot that likes to creep up the mantel

I never understood the attraction to hanging a TV over a fireplace. Yet EVERYONE I know with a fireplace has their TV mounted over it. When there is always at least 2 better walls to run their stuff on. CRAZY I tell you...
  • Tony M
    I don't believe many people light fires in their fireplaces when they have a TV mounted over it. But...

I think I've seen a pic. on the web a long time ago where somebody did light a fire and melted the bottom half of their TV. Maybe their flue damper was 3/4 shut. :s

I have a friend who has his TV over his fireplace now. That's where he wanted to put it. But while I've been over there a couple of times, I didn't like looking up that high. I never have, having a bad neck that starts to tense up when I look up for more than a few minutes.

I also think there's a lot of other reasons to have a pull down and out TV mount than just for over fireplaces. But the ad said fireplace and I thought about my friends living room. I asked my friend about the height placement and he said he likes the TV up there a lot. To each their own, for sure. ;)

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    They do look really nice up there. But I never knew the logic? I would think it would f it up one way or another? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    A Monoprice wall mount will probably burst into flames whether you light a fire in the fireplace or not.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Two focal points on one wall...bad idea on top of what has already been said.
  • Tony M
    I've never understood why people mount their TVs so high. The centerline of the screen should be as close to eye level as possible, from your viewing position. Mounting it high up the wall, is like arriving late to the movie theater, and the only seats left are in the front row.

That has been my goal with all the TV's I've ever owned. Sometimes, my TV will be a little bit high, but not a lot.

Remember when TVs came in all those floor consoles? I had a cool SONY XBR one. I didn't even have a complaint about looking down toward it. I had it for years too.

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,064
    F1nut wrote: »
    I hide my TV over the fireplace behind a Rembrandt.

I have my TV in the fireplace and the Rembrandt above it. Although, it's not really a Rembrandt, it's more of Vermeer. Oh OK, it's a Brueghel. Brueghel did paint oriental women with blue faces and big, ermm those things, didn't he? The TV is a little burnt out.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Those brackets seem like a cool idea, but I've put up a few and have never been impressed. They look silly in the down position.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I never understood the attraction to hanging a TV over a fireplace. Yet EVERYONE I know with a fireplace has their TV mounted over it. When there is always at least 2 better walls to run their stuff on. CRAZY I tell you...

A lot of new homes are being built such that the only place is above the fireplace. And, the builders pre-wire for it, with an outlet and HDMI/cable jack. I don't get it.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    F1nut wrote: »
    I hide my TV over the fireplace behind a Rembrandt.

Me too, do you have the one with the eyes that follow you?
  • mdaudioguy wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

A lot of new homes are being built such that the only place is above the fireplace. And, the builders pre-wire for it, with an outlet and HDMI/cable jack. I don't get it.

I think it’s okay as long as there is another place to watch movies and games.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited August 2018
    I have done a mount called Perfect Vision. It's like this one. It has a motorized arm that moves the TV out and then down for good viewing. Then goes back up when you turn the TV off.
    As a Professional Installer I always try to detour a client from mounting their TV over a fireplace. When thats where they want it I explain all the negative things that come with it and if they still want it there then so be it.
    I would never place my Tv over a fireplace as I find it to be to high and risk of damage from heat. I also think it looks stupid as a nice piece of ART should be there instead.
    One solution Samsung came up with is the ART TV. But it sucks as a Tv and really cool as a ART Frame with Digital images. They can look very good and almost like the real thing. For a room that is more into looks then watching TV this is the perfect cheaper alternative to lets say Vision art. They are amazingly expensive but look incredible when done right. If money is no object this is the way to go. BUT the Samsung does have 1 huge advantage , you can change the Art at will and right from your phone app.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I had a TV and center channel above the fireplace at the old house. A Polk CS245i center channel sat on the mantel. The heat eventually caused the vinyl veneer on the face to delaminate and shrink, exposing the MDF. Rookie mistake. The new house has artwork above the fireplace. Still have the speaker though, and pondering how to fix it.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Good luck with it Dave. ;)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thanks Tony. I used that as an opportunity to upgrade, I now have a CS400i in the basement TV setup! :smile:

The 245 may wind up in the garage setup, when I eventually get to it.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    NICE! Doesn't get much better than the CS400i does it.

I've heard one or two, but never owned one.