CSi A6 lacking punch it once had

2»

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,243
    What John described as potentially happening could have happened to a $5,000 center channel speaker. The price of the speaker has nothing to do with it, unfortunately.
    Got Dayens?
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 1,157
    edited August 10
    tonyb wrote: »
    Try setting the center to full range and see if that snap is back. Sounds like your receiver is defaulting to certain surround parameters, there should be a way to just manually tune things without having to use the mic and without saving a pre disposed setting.
    +1. have you tried fullrange?
    Tony M wrote: »
    Have you pushed gently on the woofer cones to see if they move in and out freely?
    +1
    Any chance either of your L/R or theCC are connected backwards?

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, DirecTV Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7. Woofers, Rotel 98X amp; M & T, P'sound HCA-1000
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    5 Audio Pro Subs: 1 B1.39: 1 Evidence at each corner
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3*
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    *Bi-amped by years end
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 5,610
    Maybe at the receiver the CC was plugged into a LF or RF output. Doubtful but just a thought. :|
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 1,407
    You replaced the crossover, right? When you reassembled the speaker, did you make sure to check the phase of the drivers? Open it up and make sure that + is going to + and - is going to -.
    2 channel
    Speakers: Mission 770 Freedoms
    Integrated amp: Technics SU-v75 and matching tuner
    CDP: Technics SL-PC20
    Cables: Monoprice, Monster, Acoustic Research, and a few generic ones
    TT: Technics SL-3200, direct drive
    Cartridge: Shure M97xE

Pc gaming setup
    Receiver/amp: Yamaha RX-V665
    Computer: Lenovo g50 (soon to be upgraded to a Dell Precision 690 which is far from stock!!)
    Interconnects: Amazon basics HDMI, Acoustic Research HDMI, Monoprice speaker cables
    Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR75s

Random equipment on standby:
    Onkyo TX-v940, JBL woofers and tweeters, single Klipsch KG .5, Yamaha guitar amplifier, Peavey Rage 158 guitar amplifier, Kicker comp 12” subwoofer, single Bose 802 series II, a whole bunch of 1”-3” full range drivers, Infinity Crescendo 3007s (on sale), Polk LSi25s
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

You don't tell her you read the manual, and you tell her you know what the problem is, and you fixed it, because that what men do, fix things
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 4,425
    Maybe your AVR is running out of gas. I didn't read all of the post but your original post said you added a couple of speakers no?
    Parlor: ifi iDSD Micro*Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables* Wireworld Stratus power cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*BJC Silver-Plated IC's* Bens Silver IC's

Dungeon: Dancer Mini-Two Diamond*Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*North Star Intenso DAC*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*Wireworld Aurora power cables*IFI nano IDSD bl*Pangea Silver USB*Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Headgear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S* Sennheiser 6xx

Hello Kitty boombox

Spare sortta: Usher N-6361* ifi iDsd nano*Marantz 1504* RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Usher N-6361

Self Control is over rated.
    Mr. Sharpe wrote: »
    Meh these were extra $70 as an open box item so it didn’t much to me either way:)

• gp4jesus wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Try setting the center to full range and see if that snap is back. Sounds like your receiver is defaulting to certain surround parameters, there should be a way to just manually tune things without having to use the mic and without saving a pre disposed setting.
    +1. have you tried fullrange?
    Have you pushed gently on the woofer cones to see if they move in and out freely?
    +1
    Any chance either of your L/R or theCC are connected backwards?

I’ve tried Full Range. The issue is no matter where the crossover is set in the receiver, the speaker does not output the range that it used to when I first got it and what it is supposed to.

All connections are where they should be. Left to left, right to right, center to center.
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    You replaced the crossover, right? When you reassembled the speaker, did you make sure to check the phase of the drivers? Open it up and make sure that + is going to + and - is going to -.

The + and - connections are different size spade connectors. They could only be reconnected one way.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Maybe your AVR is running out of gas. I didn't read all of the post but your original post said you added a couple of speakers no?

Didn’t add speakers. Only upgraded my surrounds to RTIA3’s. I highly doubt a TX-RZ810 (RZ series being Onkyo’s top end. Similar to a Pioneer Elite series) would choke with just 5 speakers when it supports up to 7.2 or 5.2.2.
    edited August 15
    Have you hooked the center channel speaker up to a main left or right output speaker wire yet? That test right here will tell you FOR SURE if your woofers are blown in some way.

Also, do the woofer speakers in your center channel push in easily? I asked this before, didn't I?
  • Tony M wrote: »
    Have you hooked the center channel speaker up to a main left or right output speaker wire yet? That test right here will tell you FOR SURE if your woofers are blown in some way.

Also, do the woofer speakers in your center channel push in easily? I asked this before, didn't I?

Yes I have. Wasn’t really any different than when plugged into the center. Perhaps only very slightly louder in volume, but probably due to it being a different channel. Still lacked all punch.

The woofers can push in. How easily? I don’t know. Since I don’t know where the reference of “easy” should be. But they do push in.
  • Tony M wrote: »

Yes I have. Wasn’t really any different than when plugged into the center. Perhaps only very slightly louder in volume, but probably due to it being a different channel. Still lacked all punch.

The woofers can push in. How easily? I don’t know. Since I don’t know where the reference of “easy” should be. But they do push in.

I also want to point out that one woofer is clearly louder than the other.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,242

I also want to point out that one woofer is clearly louder than the other.

That might be to negate comb filtering in the MTM design
    edited August 15
    Wow, what a problem. Blown woofers with low volume usually don't move at all.

Well thanks for responding to my idea thoughts.

Have you hooked up a surround channel speaker to the center channel speaker wire from the receiver?

Next, I would take each woofer out of that center and hook that woofer to another speaker wire at low to med. volume to see what happens with that. That would be the LAST thing to do to see IF THE WOOFERS are truly the problem.

I've never heard of woofers blowing before tweeters but I'm only 61 now. I still have a lot to learn. ;)
2»