akm4497 vs. ess9038pro

I have the musical paradise mp-d2 mkI with akm4490 and love the sound, here's my question. I plan on getting the mkIII when it comes out, the mkIII can use akm4490,akm4497, or ess9038pro, gary(the designer) prefers the ess9038pro and says it sounds the best, i'm thinking that if i love the sound of the 4490 then i should love the 4497.
what are your thoughts 4497 or 9038pro?

ps. dac chips add extra to the dac, 4490 $100, 4497 $250, ess9038pro $380

www.musicalparadise.com
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Matter of taste Marv. Personally, I'm a fan too of the AKM'S, and if that floats your boat why change it I say. 4497 is my vote.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,030
    I don't know about ess9038, but I am a fan of AKM DAC which I love the sound, too.
    My DAC has AK4495SEQ, and AK4497 is better.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    All I have is my Oppo 205 and it runs 2 ESS9038pro's. One dedicated to just 2ch. and another for 7ch. My Pioneer PD-09 CD/SACD player runs wolfson DAC and I thought it was nice but I have not even turned it on since I received the Oppo.

It is just a beast!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    What input would you be using on the DAC? I'm an ESS fan, have the Twisted Pear 9018 with discrete balanced output and 9038 DAC with the new TP Mercury output board.

The house sound depends on output implemented. IMO ESS are best as current output versus voltage output.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    old fashion coaxial and usb for playtime.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • SCompRacer
    ESS has a patent for their SPDIF clock recovery method. IMO SPDIF input sounded better with an ESS DAC. They did not rely entirely on the embedded clock. You'd have to read the white paper for specifics. USB input is more a level playing field with your choices.

I'd push for specifics as to why he claims the ESS sounds better. We go back to that one mans detail is another mans brightness thing. I will say this, the 9028/9038 are much improved over the 9018.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • marvda1
    http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=80

since the dac can take any of the three dac chips, one suggested that since I have the ak4490 now in the mk1 I know the family sound of the akm chips. so get the 9038pro and if I don't like it buy the ak4490 and I could sell the ess9038pro chips to someone who owns a mk2 or mk3 version of the dac.

Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    If you like the DAC you have now then why upgrade to the mkIII?
  • SCompRacer
    That's a nice DAC for the money.
  • marvda1

Clipdat wrote: »
    If you like the DAC you have now then why upgrade to the mkIII?

that's a good question. besides the ability to swap in/out different dac chipsets, the other updates are:
    - New USB board with DSD 512 capability.
    - New main board with updated power supply regulation and PCM 192 capability on coax.
    - Firmware revisions
    Puritan PSM156
  • SCompRacer
    I'm stuck here...been trying months to find a round tuit to finish it.

elmtocwkvww9.jpg