ADS L1290 vs Infinity RS3 A/B

zingo
zingo Posts: 11,256
edited August 2013 in Vintage Speakers
Which speakers would you choose and why if they were the same price and both in good condition; Infinity RS3 A/B or ADS L1290? Both speakers are similar designs; 3-way with tweeter (EMIT vs dome), dome mid range, and dual 8"/10" woofers. Both have similar specs and frequency response.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Comments

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Old thread here with no replies, but I'm curious if there are any opinions comparing the two. I already have a pair of RSIIIa, but an opportunity to get a pair of L1290/2. These don't come up for sale too often, so...
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    I personally prefer the ADS. I've not owned either speaker but I've heard both in various systems. I owned a pair of Kappa 8's and I preferred my ADS 810's. The ADS are really easy to drive.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    Wow, this is a deep dive from 5 years ago! In honesty I never purchased either speaker, but I still love the ribbon Infinitys but still haven’t put my ears on a pair of ADS.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Old thread here with no replies, but I'm curious if there are any opinions comparing the two. I already have a pair of RSIIIa, but an opportunity to get a pair of L1290/2. These don't come up for sale too often, so...

Hey @lightman1
    Yo' dingleberry, wake up...don't you or Mike have some Infinity's at the Carolina whse to answer Trav0810 's question
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Not my question TX Coastal!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    have owned and lived with both....both are great speakers with their own sound...overall I pick the ADS but both are great speakers in the end
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »

Hey @lightman1
    Yo' dingleberry, wake up...don't you or Mike have some Infinity's at the Carolina whse to answer Trav0810 's question

They have a few nice pair of Infinity's in the "Mike and Russ's House of wholesale audio gear". :D
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    The Infinity's are very cool speakers. Love the detail from the ribbon twets. I haven't got my ears on a pair of ADSs yet
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • jdjohn
    edited August 2018
    Or Infinities??

Their EMIT tweeters are technically magneplanar, not ribbon, although similar technology. Either way, they are quite detailed, and my favorite type of tweeter thus far.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Yup! RS IIb....
    Wide open sound stage and delicate instrument placement. Notorious amp killers! Not for the faint of heart amplifiers.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    And... Crescendos....
    And RS III....
    And a few others....
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Yup! RS IIb....
    Wide open sound stage and delicate instrument placement. Notorious amp killers! Not for the faint of heart amplifiers.

Amen to this fact.
    One of my Dad’s friends many years ago had Infinity RS speakers (dont recall which model, but one of the bigger ones) and he smoked a lot of amplifiers I would call beefy.
    I think they drop to some crazy number like 0.5 ohms... ouch!!
  • jdjohn
    edited August 2018
    Fo sho. Powering Infinity RS floor standers requires at least (IMO) 125WPC at 8ohms, which should equate to plenty of power in the 4ohm range. Most receivers and integrated amps will NOT have enough juice to power them. A separate power amp is almost always needed, but isn't that the case for most higher-end speakers? EDIT: I know some folks may not consider Infinity RS speakers 'high-end', but for argument's sake...
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,374
    Have to put in my 2 cents. I'm an ADS fan, that said, the upper end of the L series are just fantastic. L910 and up. For detail, accuracy, and some of the tightest bass I've heard in a speaker they just can't be beat for less than twice the price! You will never pry my L1590''s away from me. Strongly recommend (real biamping) and it should be a OMG moment. Though I have not had my ears in upper end infinity's I'm so satisfied with the ADS speakers I wouldn't replace with anything I've ever heard.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • I love those old ADS speakers. For the money they were some of the best sounding speakers you could buy. My cousin had the 1290's and I thought they gave my SDA's some competition.
  • I love those old ADS speakers. For the money they were some of the best sounding speakers you could buy. My cousin had the 1290's and I thought they gave my SDA's some competition.