Looking at doing a second tube amp build...

I am thinking of doing another tube amp build after the holidays, and going BIG once again. They will be based off of my previous build but have 4 pairs of KT120’s (8 power tubes) instead of 6. There will be no granite harmed in the construction of the new set, but I will be looking to embellish them with a level of quality to go along with the performance.

This set is still in the very early stages of planning, but it should be a fun project.
The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Comments

• Tony MTony M Posts: 5,619
    Is Bob Carver going to be involved with the new set ?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 17,871
    I don’t think so, at least to the level he was the first time. I will be asking questions for sure. I will be working from basically the same basic schematic, but adding the needed changes for then second pair of tubes. I will also be installing meters on the front of these this time, and using larger power caps.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with PS Audio NuWave Phono converter, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 525a CD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray , Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 10,261
    Why not base them off those newer power tubes or would you need a whole new ground up design?
    What tube are you talking about?

edited November 2017
    I could use those as well...

watch the video I didn't know that the Russians were not doing their due diligence. Prima Luna basically states the same on their site.
    Been searching for inspiration for the new build, and so far I am drawing a blank on it. I love the look and feel of my current amps so much that I feel they will be hard to beat. I am thinking of going after a 1930’s Art Deco feel for them and perhaps taking some design cues from Ettore Bugatti, and Gordon Buerig...

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,055
    If the appearance is what you are trying to decide then forget other designs. Do your own thoughts, but definitely make sure the electronics are 100%. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    Found it... don't have a clue on the meters yet, but I like the look.

tpp7tdlxylgf.jpg

Just to update... I have finalized the look I am going for on these new amps, and granite is back on the table, but will be used on the front and sides instead of on top. The middle will be set with a large VU meter set behind silver toned smoked glass. I should be able to start posting some pictures sometime in September.

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,756
    This just an aesthetics upgrade using the same schematics as last time, or a total redesign inside and out?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    A small redesign

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,423
    A small redesign

"A Few Small Repairs" :)

95rr6p9nsewh.png
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    LOL... My original amps are performing very well 7 years later, but I have the itch to upgrade, and can't afford to buy anything that comes even close to what I have now.

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,756
    You gonna snag your transformers from Bob again?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    No... Bob gets his from the same place I will be sourcing mine, and they will be the same ones used as last time.

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,674
    Reach out to Robert at Star Sound Technology and tell him I referred you. Tell him what you are doing and he might be able to help you make the chassis and construction work for you instead of against you. He is not a circuit guy but he understands vibrations and resonance.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,229
    Interested, looking forward to seeing it.
    Best of luck, but I know you will do an awesome job.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
    DSkip wrote: »
    Reach out to Robert at Star Sound Technology and tell him I referred you. Tell him what you are doing and he might be able to help you make the chassis and construction work for you instead of against you. He is not a circuit guy but he understands vibrations and resonance.

I have absolutely zero vibration now, and the new chassis will be more robust than the first amps. Thanks for the lead. I may give him a call, but I don't think there will be much he can offer that has not already been considered.

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 18,423
    LOL... My original amps are performing very well 7 years later, but I have the itch to upgrade, and can't afford to buy anything that comes even close to what I have now.

Yup, that's why I DIY/scrounge. Dollar for dollar, it's the way to go if one can do it, as far as I am concerned.

PS Your "A small redesign" comment just, for some reason, put me in mind of that Shawn Colvin album title :) Absolutely no logic operating on my part at all! ;)
    "It's like watching a roomful of people who couldn't get through college algebra discussing the flaws of quantum physics theory. I guess it could be fun, but it's ultimately a waste of time." -- seen on audiokarma

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

"Writing about hifi is like dancing about architecture" -- paraphrasing some wag (possibly Frank Zappa)
    The small redesign is basically cosmetic, and the addition of two more power tubes per channel