will pre outs work for me

Guys as some of you know I have a Yamaha RX-V665 avr. it's rated @ 90w but those are divided to who knows what and my machine has clipped many time at fairly loud volumes hence going 2 chl. ,then goes into protecto mode and comes back after I let it breathe for a minute or 2. Next to the sub outs there is pre outs and if I ran i/c from my Adcom to the Yammy would this solve the clipping problem. The speakers are Klipsch #400 H/T smalls and according to Klipsch they are rated for 100 true watts like McIntosh watts, so it's not the speakers. It's both to early to call Yamaha in Arizona or to raise the volume. Will the Yammy still over heat and clip or that's what the pre outs are there to prevent ??
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    In 2 channel mode, with small Klipsch speakers, the yammy should not be clipping. While you can use the preouts to add an amplifier to help with that, Your problem may be elsewhere.

If you have clipped that receiver on a frequent basis, you may have done some damage to it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    No not a lot of times. I think 3 to be exact and that was enough for me. I was very disappointed w/ the Yamaha and just use the audio outs for most of my sources w/ the exception of the phono. I was not impressed w/ it's H/T effects which to me was all echo and delay. The speakers are set right I just think it's an inferior product, loudness aside.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Have to agree with the above. Klipsch speakers are usually very easy to drive. They sound loud with less current than many speakers.

Ran a Yamaha RX V571 for a few years with a RTI A5 based 7 channel system, and never had an issue, in the mid-70’s dB range. The room is 14x25 with open floor plan.

You have an issue with that AVR. No reason it shouldn’t drive a pair of small Klipsh speakers pretty loud, unless you have a huge room and the speakers are just too small for the room
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Try it. Let us know
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Definitely something wrong, I drove my Yamaha RX-V665 to very loud levels with my old Infinities, which while not hard to drive, are no easy load.