PS4 Pro

mantismantis Posts: 15,019
Hello all,
I have been away from Playstation since the Ps3. It was the last one we had and I never got into the 4 due to the Xbox.
My Son is hell bent on getting the new Spiderman game coming out in September and Best Buy is having a killer bundle that includes the game and the Pro together.
Curious on how good this console is? How is the online gaming world in Sony? We have been using Xbox Live since it came out and I think it's the overall best thing ever to come to the gaming world. How does Sony's experience compare to Live?
Either way come September we will have the Playstation 4 Pro and Spiderman and I'm gonna pick up the new Street fighter as I miss those games since they are not available on Xbox anymore which sucks.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• adb3daadb3da Posts: 439
    I have both PS4 and Xbox One and I think the online platforms are just as good on each system.
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,019
    So the PS4 pro online platform has squads, live chat, group chat, team chat etc? Friends lists?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • adb3daadb3da Posts: 439
    mantis wrote: »
    So the PS4 pro online platform has squads, live chat, group chat, team chat etc? Friends lists?

Yeah, it has all of that. It isn't free, but neither is Xbox Live Gold. I think Playstation Plus is $60/year.

Here is a write up with comparisons on the two consoles. In my opinion they are pretty interchangable. Playstation has alot of really good exclusive titles so I like having both. I tend to play PS4 more, but I enjoy the XBox One when I play it too.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/xbox-one-vs-ps4,review-2543.html

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,145
    I've played both briefly, and both are a lot of fun. I personally find the Xbox menus a little easier to navigate, and I like the Xbox controller a whole lot more than the PlayStation controller. If I could only get one, it would be an Xbox, but the PlayStation is also a great console. IMO, of course.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 5,526
    I don't have the supporting data but would be curious to know which platform needs more time to do update.... If Xbox is anything like MS Windows .... well that would suck
    HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7004 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | HP Elite Slice PC | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4 Pro

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node2 | Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | Marantz 2385 |

Bedroom Peactree Nova 125SE | Focal 905's | Bluesound Node | SVS SB2000 Sub

Garage Yamaha R-N303BL | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP2K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's |
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,145
    I don't have the supporting data but would be curious to know which platform needs more time to do update.... If Xbox is anything like MS Windows .... well that would suck

From my experience with the 360, the updates tend to last 15-30 minutes, and only one time in the six years we owned it did it do a 2 hour update. We think it was because the WiFi wasn't working correctly.
    Of course, the 360 and the One are different animals, so YMMV.
    Not Tom, or Trey, or Jim
    NAD C352
    Monitor Audio Radius R90’s/Mission Freedom 770 IV
    BJC speaker cables, generic RCA’s, one homemade power cable, because that’s going to do any good with the rest of the generic ones.
    Technics SL3200 turntable and a Shure M97xE phono cartridge
    Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer
    Lafayette LR-1100 acting as a tuner and phono.
    I've always thought the goal of high end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • AsSiMiLaTeDAsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,717
    I have the XBOX One X and the PS4 Pro, so $900 in consoles. They each have their strengths although I think you could make the argument that the XBOX One X is objectively a better machine, ultimately it comes down to choice of games and I don't know that I could choose just one. Here are my thoughts:

XBOX One X Strengths:
    - XBOX Enhanced games
    - 4K Blu Ray Player
    - More ergonomic controller
    - Cross platform games that you buy on XBOX or Windows like Forza or Gears of War also come with a copy on the other platform

PS4 Pro Strengths:
    - Better exclusive games overall, by a wide margin IMO and by game sales
    - Better Interface

The XBOX Enhanced games are a huge deal, I literally spent $500 on the XBOX One X so that I could go back and play Red Dead Redemption in 4K. That and the LA Noire Enhanced are the only two games I own for the XBOX, and they're worth every damn penny of the $500 price tag.

The reason to get the PS4 Pro is the exclusive titles, which are much more diverse and generally better than the XBOX titles. Games like Detroit, Uncharted, Horizon, and the upcoming Spiderman are worth the price tag.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,624
    I have heard of some Xbox one updates being pretty long. For PS4 I haven't had one last over 5-10 minutes MAX. I have had mine for almost 3 years now.

I was Xbox before the Ps4 now PS4 > Xbox
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9