Do you really enjoy headphones?

Comments

• acmf74acmf74 Posts: 848
    makes commuting in NYC somewhat bearable. drowns out noises and people talking while trying to sleep. wish it could do something about the smells. =)
  • rooftop59 wrote: »
    The trend continues, when the Mrs. doesn't want music blaring then I put on my cans. I also use them at work for almost the whole day. I started with HK CLs, graduated to Grado Sr80e's and a Bravo V2, then moved onto a little dot 1+. I dig headphones and the Grado's paired with a tubed amp sound really great, the soundstage is there but obviously nothing compared to my SDAs. I rarely get to listen to my 2Bs now a days so I find myself listening to my headphone set up more and more, hoping to score some Philips Fidelio L2s this holiday season...we shall see.

Love my fidelio L2s! Got them for less than a bill shipped too!!

Dang that was a DEAL right there buddy! Excited to hear them, I was mainly looking for something comfortable with good SQ.
    Living room

Mains: Paradigm 90P
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12, Pioneer SW-8Mk2
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved 4k

2 Channel Den

Mains: SDA2B Upgraded XOs and Binding Posts
    Pre: Denon PRA-1200
    Power: Adcom GFA-545
    TT: Pioneer PL510
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' 4K

Noggin Rockin'

Phillips L2
    Grado SE80
    Harman Kardon CL
    Little dot 1+/GE JAN 5654w

Closet of Dreams:

Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Polk RTA11TL
    Polk TSI200s
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition
    Bravo V2/RCA Clear top Conn branded 12AU7
    Yamaha AV-34

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,197
    headphones are awesome for air travel, and late night action TV watching when even at low volumes the HT surround is a bit too full and disturbs others. I like them for music when the house is too noisy to critically listen to speakers.

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,824
    To answer the OP, i don't know yet.

I am slowly investing the money. If i like it, i will keep doing it. If i don't, i sell everything and move on. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Reduction & Crack w/Speedball
  • 250GTLusso250GTLusso Registered User Posts: 161
    I have a pair of STAX SR34 Electrostatic headphones that I purchased 30 years ago that I still use when I cannot use my SDA speakers. They sound amazing. I haven't seen anyone mention electrostatic headphones, but they should be experienced.

ux5ivyykojfg.jpg
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 4,814
    I used to do 30% headphones. I would do speakers for a month, or two, then headphones.
    It was a combo of do not disturb and just plain changing things up. I had multiple
    pairs of decent headphones. After moving to Memphis, I haven't had a 2 channel
    system set up for almost 2 years. I moved back into a house and haven't had a chance to
    get back to my son's house back in Dallas to pick up my Proacs. I mostly use my Stax
    sr-202's either with my homebrew energizer/amp or my Sansui au-717 and a srd-7
    transformer box. I've also got sr-30's and 80's, as well as Grado ps500's and AKG Q701's.
    The Stax setup soundwise gives up nothing to speakers, other than some comfort.
    They are a bit clunky to wear. The 202's were updated with leather earpads.
    The good thing about headphones is you can have several different rigs stashed
    away without filling up the house with gear.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,073
    edited January 14
    250GTLusso wrote: »
    I have a pair of STAX SR34 Electrostatic headphones that I purchased 30 years ago that I still use when I cannot use my SDA speakers. They sound amazing. I haven't seen anyone mention electrostatic headphones, but they should be experienced.

ux5ivyykojfg.jpg

Not to be a kvetch, but those particular Stax are, as the box says, electrets (like an electret microphone)-- not electrostatic. :|

The are darned fine headphones, though.

EDIT: I looked for a really clear & succinct differentiation of the two via Google, and found -- a lot of crud.
    This is the best I could do on short notice :p

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=general&m=52930

Mechanistically, they work like electrostatics, but don't need the HV polarizing voltage. They do still need an interface box, though (as you know). There are also self-energized electrostatic headphones (I think Koss once made one), so it gets kind of -- complicated. ;)
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,292
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Not to be a kvetch, but those particular Stax are, as the box says, electrets (like an electret microphone)-- not electrostatic. :|

The are darned fine headphones, though.
    I am glad you kvaught that. Good eye!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 19,073
    edited January 14
    I think STAX has also made some electrostatic earspeakers*, but most of their products (at least the even semi-affordable ones) have been electrets.

* I remember that, at least, "back in the day" (when I had hair, e.g.), STAX very fastidiously, and assiduously referred to their (extremely fine) products were not headphones but rather earspeakers.
  • stangman67stangman67 Posts: 782
    edited January 14
    I've owned various sets of headphones over the years from expensive audiophile to el cheapos and everything in between. I would say in general I dislike headphones, they close me out to the outside world and every single one I have owned gets uncomfortable after an hour or two. I currently own a set of V Moda crossfade M100's which are a riot. I like the energetic sound and I use them from time to time, but I much prefer my speakers
    2 Channel
    BlueSound Node 2 Streaming Tidal I Marantz SA8005 I Music Hall MMF7.3 I Lounge Audio LCR Mk III I Backert Labs Rhumba 1.1 I B&K Ref 200.2 I Focal Aria 926 I Wireworld Eclipse 7 IC's I Acoustic Zen Satori SC I Pangea AC14SE MkII/PS Audio AC-3 Power Cables

Living Room HT
    Sony XBR65X930E I Marantz NR-1608 I Q Acoustics 2020i I Q Acoustics 3090c I FXI-A4's I DIY 15" Dayton SW

• 250GTLusso250GTLusso Registered User Posts: 161
    @mhardy6647 , thank you for that link! It reminded me why I chose to buy those STAX SR34s some 30 years ago. STAX had several other models costing two, three, and 4 times as much (I think $1000?), that were really comfortable, and were "open-air" phones that sounded amazing. The SR34 was the best bang for the buck at the time for me. I thought everybody has to have a set of phones, right?
    HT
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (Front), Adcom GFA-585 Amp (Side), Adcom GFA-555 Amp (Rear), Adcom ACE-515, Pioneer CLD-3070 Laserdisc, Sony CDP-605esD, Sony BluRay BDP BX59, Samsung 50" Plasma, Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL Front (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Side (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS Rear (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Living Room)
    Adcom GFP-565 Pre-amp (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom GFA-565 Mono Block Amps (w/Big Sky Audio Upgrades), Adcom ACE-515, Sony CDP-705esD, Magnum Dynalab FT-101A Etude, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL (Walnut), Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 (Walnut), STAX SR34 Electret Earspeaker System.
    2 Channel (Office)
    Adcom GFP-555 Pre-amp, Adcom GFA-555 Amp, Sony CDP-605esD, Adcom GFT-555 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 1C (Walnut).
    2 Channel (Garage)
    Hafler DH-110 Pre-amp, Hafler DH-220 Amp, Sony CDP-505esD, Hafler DH-330 Tuner, Polk Audio SDA 2B (Walnut).
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,729
    The KOSS variants are still available and get a ton of positive feedback: https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/esp950
    Got Dayens?
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 14,889
    If you can't find comfortable headphones, try the Sennheiser 598. I could wear these for a dozen hours and experience no fatigue - either via comfort or sound.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 1,888
    Not a big fan of them now but back in the day after many "turn it down" from mom & dad, I do remember using them much more.
  • dr1978dr1978 Posts: 201
    Now that I have some decent speakers I use headphones less often, but I never let a new release from one of my favorites (Radiohead, Queens of the Stone Age, Tool, Modest Mouse, etc) go by without giving it a spin or two on my headphones. I'm sure if I'm able to upgrade my rig over the years things will change, but for now using my Sennheiser Momentum 2's is still the ultimate listening experience. Being fully enveloped in the sound lets me drift away a little easier.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, B&K Ref 2220, AMC 2100, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk RM8, Polk PSW450
  • verbverb Posts: 3,354
    I use mine mainly for air travel, of which I do a lot for my job. Bose QC15 has pretty decent noise cancellation. I just picked up a set of B&O Beoplay H9's which are wireless. At home I hardly use them. Much rather rock out with my 2B's and soon to be completed 1C's!!!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Micro Seiki MB14 TT, VTL 2.5 Pre, Marantz CD6006 CDP, Conrad Johnson MF2300A Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, AQ Diamondback (version 1) RCA IC's, MIT Terminator2 Cables
    Office: PC, Marantz AMP-1, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, Polk PSWi225 wireless sub, MIT AVt2 cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated, Auris BluMe, Polk TSi200's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • JaybeezJaybeez Posts: 681
    I'm retired now, but used Shure in-ears when traveling on business. Took up less room than the Bose noise-cancelling unit which is quite good (and I'm not a Bose lover) but bulky.
    If I want to watch / listen to something while surfing after my wife goes to sleep I use a set of Sony MDR 7506's.
    If I were serious about a set of cans for critical listening I'd pick up some Blue Ellas.
    But no, not a big headphone fan. Give me a good set of speakers any day!
    Living Room (HT):Denon AVR X-3000 ; LSiM 703 ; LSiM 704C ; FXi4s ; Sub – Rhythmik F12SE

2 Channel Studio: Marantz PM8004 Integrated ; Marantz SA8004 ; Music Hall MMF 7.3TT w/Ortofon Bronze; Schiit Bifrost DAC ; Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s ; Rythmik F12SE

"And these children that you spit on, as they try to change their worlds, are immune to your consultations. They're quite aware of what they're going through."
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,030
    edited March 11
    Yes...
    Can hear things that are not apparent easily on speakers.
    Downside, you can hear problems that are not (always) apparent on speakers.....
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-
    Epos-
    Infinity-
    Advent-

• BC6BC6 Posts: 60
    We have a small house and my wife doesn't always approve of my choice of music, or more specifically the volume, so I bought Audeze LCD-XC headphones. At first I tried the open back version, which sounded great, but she could still hear the music, so I switched to the closed back. They didn't sound as great. It's taken about 2 months of tweaking and playing with Roon settings, but I finally have them locked in really well. I love listening to them. I especially enjoy digging up the old cd's from the 80's and hearing things I didn't hear back then. However, as much as I enjoy them, whenever I hear something really good, all I want to do is fire up the new 2.3tl's and crank it up. I love the headphones, but for me, nothing beats the physical experience of sitting in a room filled with sound.
    Polk Audio: 2.3tl front, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, and Monitor 4 rears, really loud and ugly homemade subwoofer
    Atoll IN300 Integrated Amp, Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier
    Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,396
    Never was much of a headphone listener.
    Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; Belden 1694A Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 9,902
    But I also like a speaker that produces a good sound stage, and the nuances a "good" room produces. Gives you that live feeling
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • ab0tjab0tj Posts: 40
    My story is similar to others here. I have a pair for work, I have a pair for travel, I have a pair for when out walking or biking. Those are mostly out of necessity. At home I definitely prefer listening on speakers, but I do really love my HiFiMan planars+Schiit stack for a change of pace every once in a while.
    Marantz SR6012, Parasound HCA-2200II, LSiM705 L/R, S35 center (yeah, I know...), 2x PSW505
  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,086
    I use mine at work almost every day. It started with the in-ear that came with my phones. Now I'm using Neutron - 90% of my tunes are FLAC. Sent through my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e. What I like is that I can get great sound and still hear if someone is talking to me. They save me from going crazy many times over many hours of hacking away at my PC.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Tributaries Optical, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Rotel RDV 1045 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII and Android Mi Box3. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,938
    Rocking out on my headphones as we speak. 7 hours straight, loud volumes, no ringing in ears and cant hear anyone else so I can zone in.

Spotify on iPhone 6 Plus -> 3.5mm to RCA ->Sherwood S7125B stereo receiver -> Behringer DT-770 32 ohm

^You ask why the AVR in the mix? Two words: Tone Controls

Also can get it louder than my iPhone alone.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 4,729
    @msg you need to buy a Schiit Asgard 2.
    Got Dayens?
  • msgmsg Posts: 4,270
    Maybe one day! when I really lose my grip on the roots sticking out at the top of the Headphones Branch of the deep dark Rabbit Hole.
  • WhereYouWhereYou Posts: 9
    For me, it's no problem at all. I always wear the headphone on the way to work.
  • laellelaelle Posts: 100
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The KOSS variants are still available and get a ton of positive feedback: https://www.koss.com/headphones/over-ear-headphones/esp950

I had them... they sound really good but all the electrostatic praise is a bit strange; there is not much more than the dynamic transducers BUT clarity, if you like bass, don’t buy them, really...

And to “clarify”, they are clear sounding headphones, but other dynamic headphones with less emphasis on bass will sound exactly the same, seriously
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 15,938
    edited September 9
    Like mine so much I upgraded em lol...

Added a HK preamp and a Little Dot tube headphone amp w vintage tubes!

Source is still iPhone (for now) or tablet.

Looking at Tidal or using a mini computer as a source

k3wdd380dxhw.jpeg

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)