Speaker Rumble With Turntable

2»

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471

I ordered a set of these, though it will be a while until I can report on their effectiveness. I'm waiting for the horrible stench they emit to dissipate some. They smell like the inside of a Harbor Freight store x 100. I have 4 sitting in my shop area, about 800 sq/ft. The entire space stinks!
  • I should have warned you of the rubber smell. They will air out after a while.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Shut up John....
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited August 2018
    Dave - I got 2 dozen and agree 100% times ten. They smell like a tire dealer! Wow!

I finally had a chance to put some under the turntable and they didn’t do squat. I still get the same amount of driver flutter with and without them under the feet of the turntable. :( Eh, they were only around 20 bucks delivered.

I did try switching the subsonic filter on and off on the Cambridge phono pre amp again. It does make a big difference. The drivers dance more than they should even with it on (when playing the turntable only), but when it’s off, they look like they’re going to fly out of the cabinets!

My next step is to install spikes on the speakers and the rack.

At least there is no distortion in SQ that I can hear with the subsonic filter on. And they don’t move that much.

I even swapped in my Audio Technica LP120 turntable and it does it with that table too...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    scubalab wrote: »
    I even swapped in my Audio Technica LP120 turntable and it does it with that table too...

Sounds like you need to just send it to me so its one less thing on your hands lol.... I volunteer to take it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    Vibrapods have always done the trick for my customers. Just make sure and order the right ones for your turntable. I have yet to have one customer tell me they didn’t work. Those washer and dryer isolators not so much in my opinion.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Is the turntable still on the glass shelf? My issue didnt go away until I used a solid stand.

Bring a nightstand over to your setup and place the turntable on that, then see what happens.

I believe the issue is the glass.

Also, does the turntable have a lid?
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited August 2018
    gmcman wrote: »
    Is the turntable still on the glass shelf? My issue didnt go away until I used a solid stand.

Bring a nightstand over to your setup and place the turntable on that, then see what happens.

Yes and yes. I am still using the glass rack. Was really hoping not to have to replace it. Do you think adding a slab of wood like a butcher block might help? I will definitely try it with a wooden stand that I use for outdoor equipment setups. As for the lid - It does have a dustcover. Whether it's open or closed doesn't seem to make a difference. I can try removing it altogether.

As for vibrapods, would the Sorbothane ones Ivan recommended above be good or would these be better:

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrapod-Isolator-Isolation-Feet-Model/dp/B003P4SOVU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533661869&sr=1-2&keywords=vibrapod&dpID=51mcC%2B9uRNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This issue is just one of a couple other issues I'm still working out in the 2-channel setup. One day I'll get there!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    scubalab wrote: »
    gmcman wrote: »

Yes and yes. I am still using the glass rack. Was really hoping not to have to replace it. Do you think adding a slab of wood like a butcher block might help? I will definitely try it with a wooden stand that I use for outdoor equipment setups. As for the lid - It does have a dustcover. Whether it's open or closed doesn't seem to make a difference. I can try removing it altogether.

As for vibrapods, would the Sorbothane ones Ivan recommended above be good or would these be better:

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrapod-Isolator-Isolation-Feet-Model/dp/B003P4SOVU/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533661869&sr=1-2&keywords=vibrapod&dpID=51mcC%2B9uRNL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

This issue is just one of a couple other issues I'm still working out in the 2-channel setup. One day I'll get there!

Not for nothing, but my turntable is on the top shelf of an audio rack that has glass shelves. I'm using a combination of vibrapods and sorbothane pads. I can hit the shelf pretty hard and nothing happens while playing a record (no skipping). The only rumble I get is from playing a warped record.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Montoya
    Montoya Posts: 506
    Get the original vibrapods I sell a lot of turntables and they have never failed me. I had a customer with a micro seiki that would skip if you looked at it he had all but given up on it after installing the vibrapods you could jump next to the table and nothing would happen the House was old sitting on cinder blocks. Just make sure and get the correct ones for the weight you will be supporting.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Hey Al I didn't realize those in the link were only 1/4" thick. Try these, I've used something like them for many years under my disc players

https://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMODW8