So we need a new electric dryer

I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a new one. Have repaired the old Maytag several times over the years but the Mrs complains it takes too long and wants a new one. She don't care about bells & whistles...just wants clothes dry in a reasonable amount of time. Let me know if you have one that you would buy again.
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Are you sure it's the dryer? Is your washing machine getting enough of the water out?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Willow wrote: »
    Are you sure it's the dryer? Is your washing machine getting enough of the water out?

Yep when the spin clutch goes out the clothes will be pretty wet.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Two words. Speed Queen. And never look back. Thank me later. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited August 2018
    LG with no complaints here. Just the basic large capacity model. They also make more expensive models with WiFi connectivity and steaming functions. That's just too much!

The previous model at my house when I bought it was a Maytag. The seal around the back of the drum had deteriorated so the dryer would not hold all of its heat inside it. Started taking forever to dry anything while the dryer just heated up the utility room. Would have cost $300-$400 to fix that (mostly labor cost) from what I read.
  • x 2 on the Speed Queen.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Speed queen here also, rock solid.

Long drying times is usually an indication that you might want to clean out the duct and bottom of the machine....if you haven't done it in awhile.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    tonyb wrote: »
    Long drying times is usually an indication that you might want to clean out the duct and bottom of the machine....if you haven't done it in awhile.

Definitely worth looking into if it hasn't been done for a while... fires really can result from too much lint packed into a dryer vent :(

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Definitely worth looking into if it hasn't been done for a while... fires really can result from too much lint packed into a dryer vent :(

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
    My friend's house almost burned down because they didn't clean out the dryer vent. Luckily, they smelled it and called the fire department before any real damage was done. It did, however, still cost them a lot to repair their house.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited August 2018
    In gonna carefully step on the toes of the Speed Queen fans here..... :*

We just recently replaced our washer with the electrolux's 627 series and we couldn't be happier.

I was ready to drink the speed Queen Kool aid and I almost had my wife convinced, until we looked at the 2 side-by-side and I saw the look on her face.

The fact that we have 2 kids as well, the Speed Queen for the price just wasn't going to live up to what we needed it for.

Theres no doubt in my mind, the Speed Queen will work well and last 20 years....that's not even open for discussion ..Speed Queen sells itself.

But the Electrolux 627 series is phenomenal. I can wash a load of clothes with 2 tablespoons of powder. Also the 15 min cycle is nice.

We havent purchased the dryer yet, but will in short time.

All I can say is look at the cheapest model you want, and the most expensive, the price gap will likely not be that bad and this is something you hope to use all the time.

Safe bet, the Electrolux will save you money in energy over the long haul.

Just check it out, but again, I'm a Speed Queen fan, however the Electrolux for the price was more of what we needed... .especially in the capacity department.

https://www.electroluxappliances.com/Washers-Dryers/Washing-Machines/Dryers/EFME627UTT/
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I have an LG washer an electric dryer. The spin is very fast and the stuff comes out almost dry and reduces the dry times (and energy use) by like half.... Towels are dry in 28 minutes. I don't think you would get those times and e-savings without the washer spin speed.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I have an LG washer an electric dryer. The spin is very fast and the stuff comes out almost dry and reduces the dry times (and energy use) by like half.... Towels are dry in 28 minutes. I don't think you would get those times and e-savings without the washer spin speed.

Nope not at all.

It is why I made mention of the spin clutch. I just fixed a friends washer clutch because she too was having "dryer" problems. When I went to look I asked if her clothes always came out so wet. Because the clutch can go out slowly over time you do not notice it as much(clothes coming out wetter and wetter). So once fixed the clothes came out almost dry and walla the dryer was back to drying faster :)

The drying element can also go bad and not work as well in a electric dryer. The comment about lint in the duct is also very relevant, if not able to push out the moist air easily then yes it takes more time. Fire is also something to think about. Twice a year I cleaned mine out with every time change.

• Can't comment on the other brands, but we've have had a Whirlpool Duet front loader set (Washer/Dryer) from back in early 2007. They have run like champs with no issues other than the routine cleaning out.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Dabutcher wrote: »

This. Had one last over 20 yrs. Used to be made by Raytheon. Same folks who make Patriot missles...lol.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Avoid LG like the plague....when they shipped production to Mexico the quality took a big, steaming dump. This was coming from the LG certified repair guy who used to work for Maytag and was in the business for twenty something years. I had a terrible experience on a washing machine and the dryer sucks also. I will never buy another LG anything again....ever.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Fwiw ours are samsung front loaders. As others have said our clothes come out almost dry from the washer. Dryer doesn't take long at all.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    deronb1 wrote: »

This. Had one last over 20 yrs. Used to be made by Raytheon. Same folks who make Patriot missles...lol.

Cool man, good to know. Maybe to save some coin we can load up the military with SQ dryers, fire them at the terrorists.

Ya gotta admit, the look on their faces as a SQ dryer falls to earth on their head would be pretty darn funny. I'd pay good money for that video.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    deronb1 wrote: »

Cool man, good to know. Maybe to save some coin we can load up the military with SQ dryers, fire them at the terrorists.

Ya gotta admit, the look on their faces as a SQ dryer falls to earth on their head would be pretty darn funny. I'd pay good money for that video.

I mean -- this is close.

8g1b3k0sxuas.gif
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    We got a new washer and dryer a couple years back, and my wife tells me that the single biggest thing is that the clothes come out of the washer so dry, the dryer hardly has to run. Don't know the brand as I only walk through the laundry room to get to the garage, and at the moment I can't be bothered to get up..

As an aside, we have got a lot of new appliances lately as well as the washer and dryer - fridge, dishwasher and air conditioners (we don't have central air), and having received the electric bill recently covering a 2 month brutally hot spell, I can say that the efficiency rating of the newer appliances out there is not smoke and mirrors.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Appreciate the info. Gonna share with the domestic laundry chief when I get home from my current on the road again status.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I looked at Speed Queen a couple years ago when I was going to replace the washer and dryer I had. They were both from the early 90's so almost 30 years old. Dryer was electric.

The problem with electric dryers is like electric water heaters, those resistance coils that provide the heat, they wear out and resistance goes up while performance goes down. Then they don't dry as well. New elements are typically the most expensive part of the whole shebang second only to the control system. Bearings, clutches, belts, drum seals and such are all cheap.

But while Speed Queen is good and will last a while, when it does break, it's not cheap to fix. The biggest benefit to Speed Queen is that they make nothing small. It's all laundromat sized stuff which is nice but can be a fitment issue.

The real nice part about the size is that a larger washer might use more water per load than a more middle-of-the-road washer but you can typically do fewer loads with it.

Needless to say, I shopped Speed Queen and ultimately settled on the Whirlpool Cabrio high-capacity set. I got a screaming deal on it by stacking sales, coupons and discounts and doing my own delivery so it ended up being about half the retail price for all of it. Which was nice but honestly, they've been worth it even at the full retail price. Simple to use, efficient, the sensors actually work well so stuff washes and dries and the best part is, the washer is a top loader so none of that funky front loader smells. Whirlpool supports it too. My dryer arrived damaged and they sent a tech out. After looking at it all I showed him and told him what I did to install it, he determined that it was a shipping problem or a problem at the store that banged the gas line/valve in the dryer and they replaced the entire burner assembly for me.

So yeah, I went with the Cabrio set over the Speed Queen and ditched the electric dryer altogether. Gas now. Way more efficient, dropped $100 from the electric bill per month and the gas bill only went up about $20 at most. So at $75 a month in savings for 2 years now, the new set saved every red cent I paid for them and then some off of utility bills. The Cabrio stuff is as easy to use as the commercials say and the washer capacity is only .2 cubic feet smaller than the Speed Queen set that would fit in my location. The dryer is the same size. I've washed queen sized comforters in it and it will do all of my laundry in one load if I want to.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    edited August 2018
    Jstas wrote: »
    But while Speed Queen is good and will last a while, when it does break, it's not cheap to fix. The biggest benefit to Speed Queen is that they make nothing small. It's all laundromat sized stuff which is nice but can be a fitment issue.

When we looked at the Speed Queen late last year, we actually found the opposite to be true....which is why we went with the larger Electrolux.

In terms of dryers, the competition is larger in regards to cubic feet, but not by much.

Which is why I asked if the OP had kids. Because if it's only 2 people then it shouldn't be an issue.

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Well, I got my Cabrio set in like February of 2016 so it's very likely that the offerings on the market changed in a year and a half compared to what I found 2.5 years ago.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Jstas wrote: »
    Well, I got my Cabrio set in like February of 2016 so it's very likely that the offerings on the market changed in a year and a half compared to what I found 2.5 years ago.

Hey I got the same combo last year. Floor sample and new modle coming inn. Got a great deal. They have perform great. Only thing bad to report a small leak during the washer self cleaning. Not a big deal.

And capacity on the washer is great.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.