RTIA9...which speaker wire

kornkid2g1
kornkid2g1 Posts: 3
hello all in the audio world. another common question for all of you. i have an onkyo txsr804 i'm using as a pre amp and a 300 w at 8ohm power amp to power my two polk rtia9s. i still have old monster 18 guage stuff from my old set up. looking to get a better sound with my new amp. i'm willing to spend around 100 dollars or so. any suggestions... don't care about in wall rating. any brand suggestion. audio quest, blue jeans, signal cable. i know alot of you despise Monster but i can get about 50-60 percent off any of their cables... would you take advantage of it? or go with a different brand. thanks for all the help
Post edited by kornkid2g1 on

Comments

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited January 2009
    Welcome to the forum. I'd recommend 14 gauge. People dislike Monster for a variety of reasons, mostly, for the way they treat competitors, and other businesses in general.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • leroyjr1
    leroyjr1 Posts: 8,785
    edited January 2009
    Welcome to the forum!!!! Look into Audioquest type4 wires and Signal cable wires both are great and around $100.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited January 2009
    Signal cable,, mention to Frank that you are a CP member and IIRC, you'll receive a 5% discount. Good luck. :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Eric W
    Eric W Posts: 556
    edited January 2009
    How long is the run between speakers and amp?
    -Eric
    -Polk Audio
  • Alesamu
    Alesamu Posts: 1
    HI I have the same problem

distance betw amp/speak 8 mts
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited August 2018
    I find Monster cable to be overhyped overpriced entry level speaker wire.

Depending on your budget of $100 and how long of runs you will be doing.

Look for Audioquest Type 4, I got lucky and picked up 3, 10' for $50 I just had to replace the ends on two of them. They also make a 14/2 that goes for $1.04 a foot and 14/4 which is close to $2 a foot

Doug's Furez is a good speaker wire https://douglasconnection.com/Raw-Speaker-Cable_c33.htm

last on my list would be monoprice 12awg wire.

For banana's I like these Audioquest ones https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011AAU5UI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_18?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29BZ1S30D0GLZ they also come in silver (which I use)

please remember that the cable is one thing but if it's not terminated correctly it will be bad.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2018
    Doug's Furez is a good speaker wire https://douglasconnection.com/Raw-Speaker-Cable_c33.htm

Look no further, though I am sure Joey will be along soon and recommend Audioquest WEL's and Jesse the MIT Shotgun S-3.... :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    John, that would be MIT Shotgun S1 only they don't make that series any longer.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    mrloren wrote: »
    Depending on your budget of $100 and how long of runs you will be doing.
    I don't know... Maybe if he just used some hardware store zip wire and invested his $100 in the stock market, he'd have enough by now to buy some real nice cables! :p
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited August 2018
    BlueJeans 10 gauge. Otherwise, At the risk of tomato’s, 12 gauge minimum of what you settle on.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Second the suggestion of Doug's raw cable. Furez 10ga. or 12ga. raw is cheap and Doug will give you a discount as a Forum member. Terminate them yourself and you will easily be under your $100 total.