On the Fence: iPhone 8 Plus or X

2»

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    iOS 12 is gonna speed up that old iPhone significantly if you can hold out that long. There aren’t a ton of new headline features but significant work was done around performance and speeding up older devices in particular. Everything back to the iPhone 5S will get iOS 12, so that covers back to 2013.

Wait, will this be for iPads and IPods as well??
    If so, I can forget about buying a new tablet! My current one is having display problems and battery problems from time to time, and since it was so old and slow I was just gonna buy a new one, but if they are gonna do that, I’ll just get a new battery and display!
    Also, do you happen to know the cause of the lines across the display on the iPad mini 2?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Yes it’s for iPads as well back to the iPad Mini 2. Basically if you’re running iOS 11 now you’ll be able to run iOS 12.

No ideas on the lines on your iPad unfortunately.
  • mlistens03
    Yes it’s for iPads as well back to the iPad Mini 2. Basically if you’re running iOS 11 now you’ll be able to run iOS 12.

No ideas on the lines on your iPad unfortunately.

I think the display is failing, because when I take a screen shot while it is happening it isn’t there. If IOS 12 does speed it up I’ll get a new display and be done with it. If you wanna see what I’m talking about, you can probably google iPad lines on display, it seems to be a relatively common problem.
  • mlistens03
    8d7alxhue3uf.jpeg
    Not my iPad, but same problem.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2018
    iOS 12 is gonna speed up that old iPhone significantly if you can hold out that long. There aren’t a ton of new headline features but significant work was done around performance and speeding up older devices in particular. Everything back to the iPhone 5S will get iOS 12, so that covers back to 2013.

I plan to hold out till at least the new iPhone hardware refresh is revealed later this year, to see what that may change.

So iOS12 should be out in the wild by then.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2018
    So my iPhone 6 Plus bit the dust yesterday. Its exhibiting the touch id logic chip failure where it wont recognize when I touch the screen and I get a weird white bar across the top of the screen. It goes in and out occasionally recognizing my touches but its like at 10% working max.

So I'm limping through the week without a working phone and buying the iPhone 8 Plus this weekend as I can't wait any longer.

I also dont want to shell out another 150 to repair it (unless @AsSiMiLaTeD knows something I dont about out of warranty repairs for this specific issue) just to replace it later this year. Otherwise my phone is in perfect condition but too bad its worth nothing now.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Yikes that suux.

I'm sorry I made the battery bandaid suggestion

I will more than likely still be getting the latest Iphone October'ish pending on review

good luck pal
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Yikes that suux.

I'm sorry I made the battery bandaid suggestion

I will more than likely still be getting the latest Iphone October'ish pending on review

good luck pal

No worries, the battery helped, as did installing iOS 12. The logic board failure is a known issue with iPhone 6 Plus's, however since mine was so well taken care of it didnt show up until now (from what I'm reading its a cold solder issue).
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Stick it in the oven....
  • EndersShadow
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Stick it in the oven....

Yeah, with my luck I'd break the oven too......
  • txcoastal1
    Stick it in the oven....
    Stick it in the oven....

Dan---"Watch this and hold my wine cooler"...lol
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• EndersShadow
    Stick it in the oven....
    Stick it in the oven....

Dan---"Watch this and hold my wine cooler"...lol

Punk.... I'm drinking Smirnoff Vodka straight tonight lol.....

I'm gonna regret it tomorrow for sure, likely in another hour.....

Intestinal inflammation makes drinking not too much fun......

But I do it anyway.... just ask Russ @lightman1 and Ryan @ZLTFUL :smile:
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Dude can hold his own in hard ciders.....
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2018
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Dude can hold his own in hard ciders.....

Alcopop's is what they really are.
  • alucididea
    alucididea Posts: 113
    After having a 6 Plus and then moving to the X, the X is a much better sized phone. I went to pick up an 8 Plus at a store the other day, and I honesty can’t believe I ever had anything that big in my pocket (and I never had a case on it for 2 years). Not to mention those two BIG panes of glass end up being super heavy.

I picked up the X in December, and I notice the battery life increase. Seems the oled screen makes a serious improvement. The screen size/phone size ratio is way better. I was hesitant of the facial recognition, though it seems to work quite well. Every now and then it can glitch, but that was always my experience with the Touch ID as well so I don’t see that as an intrinsic negative. I usually only have problems with it when I have my sunglasses on. So it’s hard to complain...
  • My two girls got iphone x's for xmas. This is the first device they have EVER owned that they have never asked me to "fix". That happens with anything they have ever owned more times than I can tell. Happens EVERY SINGLE DAY when my daughter calls me from her bedroom to let me know I need to "fix" the internet!!!
  • mlistens03
    Ronster267 wrote: »
    My two girls got iphone x's for xmas. This is the first device they have EVER owned that they have never asked me to "fix". That happens with anything they have ever owned more times than I can tell. Happens EVERY SINGLE DAY when my daughter calls me from her bedroom to let me know I need to "fix" the internet!!!

I have sisters like this. I get asked to fix tablets, WiFi, computers, toys, anything and everything. You name it I probably have fixed it.
  • EndersShadow
    Well, got the X... because the 8 Plus 256gig was sold out when we went to get it. I couldn't wait for their shipment to come in (7+ days) so we just got the X (256 gig).

Got a Otterbox defender case (for now), and a screen protector. Will likely be getting something a little less thick than the defender in the next few, but wanted something to protect it in the meantime.

So far I've liked it.... A LOT. Its smaller than my 6 Plus but the screen size isnt really that much smaller.... Face ID is nice and has worked quite well. The phone seems liek its 4x faster than what I had. I also like that the screen seems a lot nicer than my 6Plus. And I can record video in 4K (if I want to).

Anyway so far, I'm liking it better than my 6 Plus, but time will tell.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    If you haven’t done anything with the 6 Plus it’s worth taking in to the Apple store. You’ve got a 50/50 shot of catching them on a slow day and they will often repair out of warranty items for free.

I use a Kavaj case on my X, holds two cards and as a result I haven’t carried a wallet in years.
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2018
    If you haven’t done anything with the 6 Plus it’s worth taking in to the Apple store. You’ve got a 50/50 shot of catching them on a slow day and they will often repair out of warranty items for free.

Its in about as good a condition as you can get being in a IP7 rated case from the moment I got it, so if its salvageable I'd like to hold onto it. My goal was to eventually just use it as a REALLY REALLY large iPod and leave it in my car 24/7, and also as a backup in case my wife or my MIL or FIL broke their iPhones, they could just use this one instead of buying a new one.

I will make a trip up that way at some point, just have to plan it as its about an hour from my house or 45 mins from my work one way..
    I use a Kavaj case on my X, holds two cards and as a result I haven’t carried a wallet in years.

Will take a look at that case. I unfortunately need to have a lot of cards on me, mostly for my doctors, so I'm still going to need a wallet either way.

So far still digging my X and I've been playing with it a lot today.
  • txcoastal1

Dan
    Does your wife know what you have been doing...TMI...imho

• EndersShadow

Dan

HAHAHAHA..... I just introduced her to the animoji's.........
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2018

Dan

HAHAHAHA..... I just introduced her to the animoji's.........

You sick demented twisted mucker pucker. LOL
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101

Oh Dan... I'm surprised Ron & Ivan were the only ones to have fun at your expense with this one so far!

I've got too many - I'll just let the imagination run wild.
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2018
    scubalab wrote: »

Oh Dan... I'm surprised Ron & Ivan were the only ones to have fun at your expense with this one so far!

I've got too many - I'll just let the imagination run wild.

So you enjoy picturing that huh..... whats that say about you :wink:

#burn

Burn-GIF-Image-Download-8.gif