Any Cigar Aficionados out there?

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited July 2018
    verb wrote: »
    This tasty little H Upmann Cuban beauty deserves the spike. Getting near the end. Saves the fingers from getting burnt!
    70avjuoqnnsl.jpeg

Only cigar I ever smoked that far down was a Romeo y Julieta Cuban Corona. It was just too good to put out. I was wishing for a pair of my old roach clips that night.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Yes but I am a one trick pony with cigars. Only smoke these:
    rrx3xk9okls8.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
  • joecoulson
    I only do it once a month or so - probably spend less on cigars than most anyone here. Even at $25 a pop.
  • Clipdat
    Yeah, I only smoke 1-2 sticks a month typically.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    One of my go to everyday type of smoke. Acid Deep Dish.tst8c9yvtwsa.jpeg
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    I've had a few Acid Deep Dish cigars in my humidor for 4 years or so. I wonder if they're still good.
  • verb
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I've had a few Acid Deep Dish cigars in my humidor for 4 years or so. I wonder if they're still good.

Even better. As long as the humidity was set. I’ve got a few that are that old too. Asylums Dragons Milk that are discontinued. Saving em for special occasions.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    I pick a box of these every time I visit Vegas. Local guy has a shop off the strip, so prices are low. Las Vegas Cigar Company. He imports em directly from Nicaragua This one is called the sweet. Yummy!
    6uxcp4fwzauj.jpeg
  • Clipdat
    Humidity been at 65% over the years, sometimes drops to 60% when I forget to put distilled water on the beads for a few weeks.

Now, temperature swings I have no control over, and they've unfortunately seen 90+ degree days.
  • verb
    Mmmm. Should be fine. I just pulled an Acid Blondie out that I forgot was there. Sometimes if too moist you can dry box em for a day or so to get em smokable.
  • joecoulson
    One of my cigar buds just got back from a 6 week trip and I’m looking forward to having one of my Padrons with him. :smile:
  • kharp1
    Nothing like a good Habano to soothe the soul after three straight weeks of work going very badly.t2m3z7a9r2xy.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Nice Cuban, Kerry. Hope this week at work goes better for you.
  • Clipdat
    edited August 2018
    So what do you guys follow, cellophane on or off in the humidor?
  • joecoulson
    Forgot to report back here.
    Had two beauties on the boat this past weekend. Best place to smoke a cigar
    ogvmu4h1cgnx.jpeg
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Had two beauties on the boat this past weekend. Best place to smoke a cigar.

The best place to smoke a cigar is OFF the boat....underwater.
  • verb

I keep mine on. In the box too if there’s room. Right now it’s so jammed that I I had to un box my last purchase and place them in one of the trays.

Time for a bigger humidor!
  • kharp1
    edited August 2018
    I've always recommended cellophane off as the cigars will not continue to age properly inside the cello. Cuban cigars do not come in cellophane. Most other brands use to come without cello, but, became a necessity for vendors to have the ability to bar code individual cigars. Now, most, if not all, cigars come with a bar code sticker on the cello.

As for storage, I store them in their original box inside a large cabinet humidor, and, try to leave the lids slightly open for proper air circulation. SLB's are my favorite boxes as they are perfect for air circulation. Even in a large cabinet humidor with pretty good humidity retention and air circulation I will still rotate the cigars inside their respective boxes from time to time.
  • verb
    ogvmu4h1cgnx.jpeg

Dude we need a pic of the cigars! :smile:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Dude we need a pic of the cigars! :smile:

LOL, All Joe did was photo bomb a beautiful sunset :p

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • joecoulson
    Sorry guys. That was between the two I smoked that night. Because this venue for smoking was well received, I will be doing it again and will not photo bomb the shot next time. My apologies
  • verb
    Sorry guys. That was between the two I smoked that night. Because this venue for smoking was well received, I will be doing it again and will not photo bomb the shot next time. My apologies

Just poking on you a bit! No worries!
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623

I keep mine on. In the box too if there’s room. Right now it’s so jammed that I I had to un box my last purchase and place them in one of the trays.

Time for a bigger humidor!

Buy a wine cooler and then get in touch with this guy:

https://cigar-coolers.com

His communication, organization and work are all top notch.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Cellophane on or off...

It depends on the cigar and your humidor. Cellophane WILL slow down the aging process, that's not always a bad thing. Some cigars are better when they are "fresh", too much aging strips them of their flavor.

If you want a cigar to age quicker, then take the cello off.

If you don't have a particularly well sealed and VERY stable humidor, cellophane staying on is an extra layer of protection for your cigars when you do have dips and spikes.

If you have a box of cigars that you would like to age and "marry", cellophane off is your best bet. If you have cigars near each other that you DON'T want to "marry", keep the cellophane on...

There is no easy answer to this question. The best answer is still, it depends.
  • kharp1
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Cellophane on or off...

It depends on the cigar and your humidor. Cellophane WILL slow down the aging process, that's not always a bad thing. Some cigars are better when they are "fresh", too much aging strips them of their flavor.

If you want a cigar to age quicker, then take the cello off.

If you don't have a particularly well sealed and VERY stable humidor, cellophane staying on is an extra layer of protection for your cigars when you do have dips and spikes.

If you have a box of cigars that you would like to age and "marry", cellophane off is your best bet. If you have cigars near each other that you DON'T want to "marry", keep the cellophane on...

There is no easy answer to this question. The best answer is still, it depends.

Good points here. My remarks and experiences are based off of my time running the humidor at our local shop. I've always had large cabinet humidors, as well as cigar rooms, in my home. I've had desk top humidors, but, prefer to store my cigars in a large cabinet, or, walk in humidor with active humidification. Hopefully, if you're buying boxes of cigars you are buying sticks that can handle some age, or, are going to be consumed before their oils have dissipated too much. I like laying my cigars down and observing the changes that take place...watching them develop and really open up. Today most cigars are ready to smoke the day you buy them, though, I've rarely seen a cigar that won't benefit from some more aging.

Thirty years ago cigars were harsh and raw due to young tobacco being rushed to market. The industry boomed and makers that had experienced an extended period of declining acceptance and were caught off guard and unprepared for the cigar renaissance. I would say that we are in the greatest period of cigar tobacco production we've seen in our lifetime, maybe ever, though that could be hard to verify. Farming and production methods are at their best in many ways allowing for a large selection of premium leaf in amounts that allow makers to properly age them as well as experiment with blending. More cigars are good, immediately after purchase, than not, however, even with the of massive amount of great, well developed tobacco there are still many cigars that can withstand extended time in the humidor.

Cubans are still the exception to the rule in ready to smoke cigars as most of their tobacco isn't aged like the non-Cuban tobacco. Their tobacco is still aged, but, not quite like what the non-Cuban producers have been doing. Over the past 10-15 years the Cubans have renewed their efforts to remain the premier tobacco producing country and they are providing several different production levels that showcase new types of tobacco leaf as well as extended aging. Most Cubans can be enjoyed immediately, however, practically all of them will show signs of youth unless it is an aged selection, which will command a much higher price.

• kharp1
    edited September 2018
    ra3hnilsrr9o.jpg
    Here's a 6 year old La Aroma de Cuba robusto that I smoked while on break at work the other night. The wrapper split on me toward the very end, but, they're subject to that when they have some age on them. I'm coming to the end of a box of 25 of these, and, they've never smoked better than they are right now. I very rarely smoke a cigar down to a nub, but, I really didn't want to put this one down.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited September 2018
    The sun is finally shinning here in SE PA. Relaxing outside with a nice cigar.
    ar14jxvu04qi.jpg

Can't go wrong with an AJ Fernandez crafted stick.
    Post edited by DaveHo on
  • kharp1
    I'm smoking a lot of A.J. Fernandez cigars these days. Every one I've had (probably 6 or 7 different) have been really good. Smoke on.
  • verb
    DaveHo wrote: »
    The sun is finally shinning here in SE PA. Relaxing outside with a nice cigar.
    ar14jxvu04qi.jpg

Can't go wrong with an AJ Fernandez crafted stick.

Yep! Got a box of those in the humidor!