nbrowser Kind of Friday Night

13»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited August 2018

f984vxmew1e8.jpeg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    I keep thinking about those Zu Audio speakers I heard at the audio show. I liked how revealing they were, they didn't seem to sugar coat anything. They're a bit pricey though at $10k+.

Also, they were so fast! I asked Sean what made them have that super fast and "live" quality to them. He said it was the lightweight driver and overall design.
  • Clipdat
    I accompanied my wife to her friend's birthday dinner tonight at a restaurant on Lake Merritt in Oakland with great views of the lake!

Lake%20Chalet.jpg

We were seated across from another one of her friends and her 19 year old daughter. The topic of music and my DJing hobby was brought up, and we started chatting about music. One of the things I like to ask people is "How do you listen to music?" and/or "How do you find out about new music?"

So her daughter replied that she uses Spotify, so we talked about that for a while and then I mentioned I wasn't really DJing these days but I'm still buying new music and vinyl. She quickly mentioned that she loves buying records as well, especially old ones for a dollar from thrift stores.

She went on to explain how she has about 75 total and loves to listen to them while she studies. I could tell by the way she was discussing it that she got a lot of musical enjoyment from listening to her collection.

I thought this was super cool to hear about someone from a younger generation enjoying vinyl in this way. It was nice to find someone who just "gets it", and hear about her obvious passion for music on wax.

I think with vinyl it's easy to get hung up on the whole cleaning/storing and intricacies of playback like various preamps and cartridges, and here's a 19 year old who's not burdened by any of that and is simply enjoying the music on a much higher level than most.

Anyway, it was a great conversation and I just felt like sharing that story.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Music to my ears, to hear about a teenager listening to vinyl. I thought they were born these days with earbuds already attached.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Clipdat
    edited August 2018
    la2vegas wrote: »
    But did you take a gondola ride on the lake?

lol, nope! I saw it pass by when I was looking out of the window though!

Few things I forgot to mention, she said she paid $80 for her turntable and has had it for three years (might be time to replace that stylus!), and that she's been listening to Chet Baker and Fleetwood Mac lately.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I'm drunk now!