Dedicated line for amplifiers

I had a problem with the primary electrical panel caused by the secondary panel in my garage. Seems the previous owner never upgraded the secondary garage panel when the availability of 200amp from 100amp service became available to him. The secondary panel was also never properly grounded. No ground wire back to the main box. So for all the years of this secondary panel trying to find ground, it found ground through the water pipe (shaking head :s ) it caused the main panel to arc and also started to melt so it had to be replaced. (so much for home inspectors)

Since my son is a licensed electrician it cost must less than hiring outside. I went with a Seimens panel for the 200 amp service panel. I am waiting for his return to replace the garage panel & add the whole house surge protector i picked up. Even though this is fairly simple i will let him hook it up.
I find as i am getting older i dont heal as quickly as i used to if something should go awry.

Question is; I will be running (one) dedicated 20 amp line to the AV room. Since i am currently running two amps: 1) parasound 1500a and 2) adcom gfa555 & the other equipment in my profile. Will it be ok to have both these amps on the same 20amp line or should i run two dedicated 20 amp lines, one for each amp?

One day i will have a big boy amp and who knows how much peak amperes it will be/need.
Some photos will follow... when my kid has some free time to finish up. Possibly this week coming up.
Denon AVR X4200W
Parasound A23 amplifier
Parasound A23 amplifier
LG 65" Ultra HD4k
LG 4kBR - UP970
Denon DVM 4800
Denon DP 3000 turntable
Saec 308sx tonearm w/
Dynavector 10x5 cart
Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
Polk SDA 1C's modded
Polk LSim 707
Polk LSiM706c
Polk RTiA 3's
Polk 80F/X-RT
Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
Infinity bu2 sub
"The early Klingon gets the Gagh"

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I would go with 2 circuits, particularly if you will be adding a bigger amp in the future.

At that time, run the big amp directly to the receptacle of one circuit, and everything else through the other circuit. Preferably through a power conditioner. Don't plug your power amps into a power conditioner, even if it has a "high current" receptacle on it. Unless you have one of those power conditioners that cost as much as a car.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Always better to have than not. If he's already going to make the run, the extra material cost is a no brainer IMHO
    I find as i am getting older i dont heal as quickly as i used to if something should go awry.
    :D:D:D
    This gave me the giggles
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Run the second line.....heck run three.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Agree with the above
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Go for three.

Electrician here.... B)
    I ran three for Dan @EndersShadow and it made a world of difference.
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,030
    F1nut wrote: »

Yes, that was what I did. 2 for monoblock amplifiers and 1 for the source and preamplifier..
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Run as many as you can. Always good to have extras. Worst case perhaps you convert one for a dedicated AC/minifridge, etc.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • If you can do it, I say go for it.
    Three makes sense.
    Yes, yes to F1nut and Lightman you listen?!!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2018
    I started with one 20 amp circuit then came the day I had to add a second 20 amp circuit just for an amp. So definitely, at least two.

Since your son is an electrician, he'll know all them pesky rules about box fill and stuff.

Listen to Lightman, he knows his stuff. He deals with big voltages and is still alive. :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • lightman1
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I started with one 20 amp circuit then came the day I had to add a second 20 amp circuit just for an amp. So definitely, at least two.

Since your son is an electrician, he'll know all them pesky rules about box fill and stuff.

Listen to Lightman, he knows his stuff. He deals with big voltages and is still alive. :D

Had a few close calls, Rich!
  • Viking64
    lightman1 wrote: »

Have you ever changed-out a 50-year-old meter pack with a live drop? :o>:)o:):p
  • lightman1
    Viking64 wrote: »

Have you ever changed-out a 50-year-old meter pack with a live drop? :o>:)o:):p

Lots of tape....
  • Viking64
    Lots of tape....

HAHAHA Yes....that, and an ambulance nearby. :D

9gijhlo7gk4d.jpg
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Personally went with 4.
    Have duel purpose system, so endgame will be:

Outlet 1) power conditioner for display, AVR, various other sources

Outlet 2) amp

Outlet3) amp

Outlet 4) subs x 2.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have three 20 amp lines for my stereo, but only one 20 amp dedicated line for the HT. I criticize myself every time I use it for that. Of course, when I did it I only had 1 five channel amp, but now I have two amps for the fronts, and the 5 channel runs the center and rears.

I will at some point get two more 20 amp lines for the the HT.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I would go with 2 circuits, particularly if you will be adding a bigger amp in the future.

At that time, run the big amp directly to the receptacle of one circuit, and everything else through the other circuit.

This seems to be the general consensus & overall just plain good advice.
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Always better to have than not. If he's already going to make the run, the extra material cost is a no brainer IMHO

The cost of wire, receptacles,gang box w/cover is nill. I will not be putting in furutech or high end stuff. Although i will go with hospital grade receptacles.

I already have the three original spaced out 15 amp receptacles so a minimum of two additional 20amp circuits makes sense.
    Go for three.

Electrician here.... B)
    I ran three for Dan @EndersShadow and it made a world of difference.

Oh your an electrician??? I thought you just lived in the bucket like Oscar does in his can! Thats was why your stuff is all over the East coast. ;);)o:)
    haimoc wrote: »

Yes, that was what I did. 2 for monoblock amplifiers and 1 for the source and preamplifier..

I think three is overkill (for my setup) but, i will think down the line and keep this in the front of my head before i zip it up and finish.
    haimoc wrote: »

Point noted. As stated above i will try to think ahead. I will not want to cut into my sheet rock a second or third time.
    Run as many as you can. Always good to have extras. Worst case perhaps you convert one for a dedicated AC/minifridge, etc.

Oooh a kegerator sounds good.
    If you can do it, I say go for it.
    Three makes sense.
    Yes, yes to F1nut and Lightman you listen?!!

I will listen. No one on this site has ever led me the wrong way. Actually they have shown me the light & the sound!!
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Listen to Lightman, he knows his stuff.

I am convinced that two will be the minimum.

rpf65 wrote: »
    Personally went with 4. Have duel purpose system, so endgame will be:
    Outlet 1) power conditioner for display, AVR, various other sources
    Outlet 2) ampOutlet3) ampOutlet 4) subs x 2.

BlueFox wrote: »
    I have three 20 amp lines for my stereo, but only one 20 amp dedicated line for the HT. I criticize myself every time I use it for that. Of course, when I did it I only had 1 five channel amp, but now I have two amps for the fronts, and the 5 channel runs the center and rears.

I will at some point get two more 20 amp lines for the the HT.

I wish i had your problem. For me my HT setup is also my two channel rig. Its a bit unconventional but, i have to make do. WAF dictates here but, i am ok with that.

I use the Rtia speakers for HT. Fronts powered by the 555 & the rest by the avr. For music i switch over to the 1500A which powers the SDA 1C's,no subs on. I have the 1500 first in line & take advantage of the pass through loop. I keep the 1500 powered off when i use the HT. I turn off the 555 and power on the 1500 for two channel. As stated above its a bit unconventional but, in my IMHO i feel it sounds perty darn nice!

Thanks for all the positive feedback! It is appreciated.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    I assume the hospital grade receptacles are better than the contractor ones?

Would 12/2 Romex be the appropriate cable size?

It seems to be roughly 42 feet in cable for one run. I will pick up a hundred foot roll to do two lines.

I will also be installing atmos speakers at the same time. The runs for electrical & speaker cables will be running down the same line in between the joists. 16 on center joists will have the speaker wire on the left side and electrical cable on the right. Although technically parallel they will be separated by 16".
    This should be far enough apart????
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Yes on all counts
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    edited August 2018
    With that said, run all of them at the same time, but I dont know if having only an extra 8' of slack is a good idea.

Russ and I bought 3 100 foot lines and ran em all at the same time, even though I needed only about 50 feet. It was good to have extra slack to ensure we only had to do it once lol....

ORRR.... have him put another secondary panel in/near that room so you can run more lines as needed and its not as far.....

I debated doing this and putting the secondary panel in my loft closet, but in my case it was easier to just run the three and be done. If I need a 4th (for my loft), its relatively easy to get up into the attic and then its just a drop into the loft wall which is on the second floor.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Viking64
    Manticore wrote: »
    Oh your an electrician??? I thought you just lived in the bucket like Oscar does in his can! Thats was why your stuff is all over the East coast. ;);)o:)

rq5ibff641g8.jpg
  • EndersShadow
    Is there seriously a pug image for every scenario lol....
  • Viking64
    Is there seriously a pug image for every scenario lol....

HAHAHA Maybe! Someone posted this online just today and then I read this comment. There must be something in The Force. :p

dfzgciu5bbdp.jpg
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    With that said, run all of them at the same time, but I dont know if having only an extra 8' of slack is a good idea.
    While it exceeds the “10% extra” rule of thumb, unless you were anal measuring for every inch, I’d get extra.
    ORRR.... have him put another secondary panel in/near that room so you can run more lines as needed and its not as far.....
    check my sig, I ran 3 dedicated 20As. If/when I move my system, downstairs, I will do a secondary allowing 4-6 20A plus space for surge suppression.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I used 10 awg for my dedicated lines. It can be difficult to work with but you'll never have to ask what if. For recepticals, there are some Pass & Seymour's that were recommended on audio asylum. Don't recall the model, but they have an iron fist grip which is good for bigger cables.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I assume the hospital grade receptacles are better than the contractor ones?

Would 12/2 Romex be the appropriate cable size?

They are, but the audio grade ones take it further. Some are direct gold plate to copper, so no brass and the body is non-resonant.

I strongly suggest 10/2, it does make a difference.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    edited August 2018
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    While it exceeds the “10% extra” rule of thumb, unless you were anal measuring for every inch, I’d get extra.

I know that was what I was saying lol...
    check my sig, I ran 3 dedicated 20As. If/when I move my system, downstairs, I will do a secondary allowing 4-6 20A plus space for surge suppression.

I was talking to the OP..... I cant see your sig so I dont know what you've got. Heck I dont even know what my own sig says...
  • Manticore
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Yes on all counts

Thank you.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore

ORRR.... have him put another secondary panel in/near that room so you can run more lines as needed and its not as far...

Yeah i guess having just +/- 8' left over is cutting it close. So instead of two 50' or one 100' romex bundles i will just pick up a 250' roll and be done with it.

I never thought about an additional panel. Great idea but, it might be overkill for my application and there would be no place to conceal it properly. Thanks Dan!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore

I thought i was careful measuring out the distance but, its not a big deal having some extra and guaranteeing the job gets done correctly.

My son says in the past he would have just brought some from a job but, now the company wants an accounting for almost every foot.
    Thanks
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
  • Manticore
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I used 10 awg for my dedicated lines. It can be difficult to work with but you'll never have to ask what if. For recepticals, there are some Pass & Seymour's that were recommended on audio asylum. Don't recall the model, but they have an iron fist grip which is good for bigger cables.

That could be a problem since where i have to run the cables is in an already sealed up finished with sheet rock rooms. I already have to cut a hole or two and drill thru a few studs in the wall/ceiling to run this stuff to an outside wall. I will evaluate and make a decision.

Are those Pass & Seymour's available in big box stores or special order/online purchase?
    Thanks for your input.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's