Owens Corning acoustic panels on sale today at Home Depot

MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    wow, looks like quite a deal!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    If one paints the outer material does that not inhibit the panels ability to absorb sound?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited August 2018
    F1nut wrote: »
    If one paints the outer material does that not inhibit the panels ability to absorb sound?

One would think YES

I can't believe the colored versions are so much more expensive.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764

I was thinking the same thing. You certainty wouldn't want a hard gloss enamel paint.

But I don't even know how a flat surface can "suck up" the sound. Is it some kind of fabric coated foam? Can my 24x48 velvet picture of Elvis do the same?

• F1nut
    You can buy acoustic panels from Soundproof Cow or Acoustical Solutions at their regular price for slightly more than Home Depot's sale price and you have a lot more fabric and edge options.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited August 2018
    delkal wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing. You certainty wouldn't want a hard gloss enamel paint.

But I don't even know how a flat surface can "suck up" the sound. Is it some kind of fabric coated foam? Can my 24x48 velvet picture of Elvis do the same?

The fabric covers a fiberglass core, which is what really absorbs the sound. Of course, the sound has to be able to pass thru the outer covering.

The velvet will absorb some sound, but Elvis may not like what he's hearing.

President of Club Polk

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited August 2018
    SonoKote sells an acoustically transparent paint. I have no experience with it, just read about it being available. Be interesting to see what the difference between acoustic paint and fabric would be. I'm thinking fabric would be better but don't honestly know.

One can always buy acoustic fabrics in colors of choice, like Guilford of Maine, for their diy treatments. I purchased some GoM fabric when I recovered a four GIK thick panels to match the four GIK bass Tri Traps I had purchased. The wife chose the color so it was easier to have them. lol

Some sellers have a minimum quantity of fabric you must purchase, others will sell by the yard but you may pay more per square yard.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Use paints specifically for textiles, should not be a problem.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2018
    Use paints specifically for textiles, should not be a problem.

I don't think the average person would consider that and it might be difficult to get textile paint that matches wall paint.

The Home Depot video does not mention anything about the type of paint being used.

President of Club Polk

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Food coloring. I win.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Fabric dye. Make some tie-dye t-shirts with the extra.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2018
    I thought the video said primer and then latex or acrylic paint. Yep, it does.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • That is what fabric paint is, acrylic.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• F1nut
    edited August 2018
    Tony M wrote: »

I stand corrected. Yeah, no way that's fabric paint.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

Apparently, you can order it paintable.

“The cores of our SolSerene panels are constructed with a rigid acoustical core and are then covered with either an acoustically rated fabric or with a paintable surface. ”
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Yes, I know. The issue is after it's painted how well does it do at absorbing sound?

President of Club Polk

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2018
    Tony M wrote: »

I stand corrected. Yeah, not way that's fabric paint.

Right the video has latex/acrylic paint, not fabric. I would think fabric paint would be less likely to inhibit sound absorption. That is the only reason I mentioned it. Sure your choices are limited , but most people want a contrast anyway.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes, I know. The issue is after it's painted how well does it do at absorbing sound?

You just need to play music loud enough to break through the paint. :)

To me, they are too plain looking. I have seen others with designs, patterns, etc on them that are more appealing.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited August 2018
    BlueFox wrote: »

You just need to play music loud enough to break through the paint. :)

To me, they are too plain looking. I have seen others with designs, patterns, etc on them that are more appealing.

That would be me on certain occasions. :D:p

I don't get the solid surface panel either. Maybe they think the sound entering from behind will be absorbed. But if the front is solid, it would act as a radiating panel, although the sound would be lower in volume due to some reduction from the panel catching some of the soundwaves.

I agree, I don't get the solid surface idea either. Cloth, yea. 100% ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.