Things to do in Chicago

Going on Holiday for a week with my lovely wife and two teen age kids to southern Wisconsin to visit fam and a couple days in Chicago to visit Soldier Field and other sites. Any restaurants that stand out? Sites to see? Fun stuff to do in town? I know there are plenty of gentlemen on here who live near there. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks. D
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    A long time ago we went to Chicago, and there is some restaurant, I can’t remember what it’s called, but their signature item was called the MBurger. It was easily the best cheeseburger I’ve ever had. I’d recommend it, maybe some Chicago Polkies know what the restaurant is called.
    If not, I can ask my Aunt/Uncle who live there.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Tony can give you a tour of the waterfront. If you are nice he will even provide the cement shoes.... :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    A long time ago we went to Chicago, and there is some restaurant, I can’t remember what it’s called, but their signature item was called the MBurger. It was easily the best cheeseburger I’ve ever had. I’d recommend it, maybe some Chicago Polkies know what the restaurant is called.

The name of the place IS M Burger. :p

They have a few locations across the Chicago area.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    lollapalooza is in town this weekend so some of the things will be crowded and some roads might be jammed up.
    Stuffed pizza, itialian beef are a couple of things to try but, seeing you in MN, you have a Portillo's out by you. What part of the area are you staying? Wigley is always awesome to see.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2018
    http://buddyguy.com/

Buddy Guy's Legands not far from Soldier field, if your in the area Buddys is worth checking out been there a time or two, lakeshore drive is also pretty nice.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited August 2018
    I enjoyed the view from the top of the Sears Tower when I was up there.

I took these:

1enlkddz3flr.jpg

7namixajp92y.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2018
    Go visit fuller park or Garfield park area. Will make you appreciate what you have. OR like said, Sears tower ( or whatever they call it now) is pretty cool
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited August 2018
    South east side is ALWAYS good for excitement.....

Tell them you're looking for the El Rukn shrine...
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    The bean.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

Dang it!
    Well, is it at least as good as I remember it? I was probably 11, so while I remember thinking it was the best ever, I don’t trust my younger self’s tongue. :lol:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    The bean sucks....it's just a big mirrored bean. Depends on what ya want to spend and how much time ya have. Lots of nifty places down along the river on the lower side. Take the kids Kayaking, rent bikes and cruise the lakefront, go up top on the Sears building, Navy Pier, sight seeing tours on boats. The list is endless. It is a beautiful lakefront though, with everything you'll want to do located along it, or within a few blocks from it.

Like Brian said, traffic is going to be worse than usual with the concerts going on. Which also means the parking garages will get filled up quickly. Go early, park in a garage closest to the things you want to see and cab it around or Uber it.

You may want to check out Eatily, eat at any of the joints on the second floor. Shake-shack is right across the street too if a burger is up your alley. Nutella store on Michigan ave is becoming a hot spot and the kids may enjoy that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Navy Pier
    Wrigley Field
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Shedd Aquarium, the Adler planetarium, or the Field Museum. All are very near Soldier Field on the lake front.
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Not sure if it's still there,but back in the 70's I had a 3 hour layover in O'hare so I hailed a cab and had him drive me to the St.Valentines Day Massacre site..was always fascinated about that story and what went down there...
  • heiney9
    Get yourself some Garrett's Popcorn too!
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    You misspelled "Nuts on Clark" popcorn.
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Get yourself some Garrett's Popcorn too!

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited August 2018

Dang it!
    Well, is it at least as good as I remember it? I was probably 11, so while I remember thinking it was the best ever, I don’t trust my younger self’s tongue. :lol:

I remember being similarly swayed as a wee lad on my burger preference back in North Dakota because the restaurant gave me a "free" ice cream cone and a plastic cowboy hat along with my burger. :) Woo-Hoo! Great burger!! How could it possibly be any better?!

Went back years later and it sukked! Big time! And....they didn't even offer me a cowboy hat that time! :(

Loved the deep dish pizza at a place called Graffiti Pizza (IIRC) years ago in Chicago. Place may not exist any more.

Have a good, safe trip, D! I'd say don't over plan your outings. Just go to areas where there's one or two things you might be interested in and do some good wandering around. That's always been the way I've enjoyed my trips and found the most fun/exciting/interesting things to do.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    In Chicago, you could visit the site where H.H.H. Holmes Murder Castle once stood and the site where John Wayne Gacy's house once stood.

In Wisconsin, you could visit the site in Milwaukee where Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment building once stood and the site in Plainfield where Ed Gein's house once stood.

This is the first time in my life that I used the phrase "once stood" 4 times in a post. D'oh! Make that 5.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    edited August 2018
    I met Ed Gein once. We were in the same university of Wisconsin Madison hospital. Freaky as hell because I knew quite well what he was capable of. Frail old man , but still had the dead eyes! He had armed prison guards and I was done getting my knee exam , both waiting for elevator. Also Jeffery Dahmer was a neighbor of mine in Beloit. Never noticed anything out of place with him or his place? Seemed like a normal quiet guy? Thanks for all the great tips. I knew I could depend on you guys. Peace. D.
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • tonyb
    Viking64 wrote: »
    In Chicago, you could visit the site where H.H.H. Holmes Murder Castle once stood and the site where John Wayne Gacy's house once stood.

In Wisconsin, you could visit the site in Milwaukee where Jeffrey Dahmer's apartment building once stood and the site in Plainfield where Ed Gein's house once stood.

This is the first time in my life that I used the phrase "once stood" 4 times in a post. D'oh! Make that 5.

Gacy's house ?? No longer there. Was about 1.5 miles from where I grew up but that's still 45 minutes from downtown. Really nothing to see, so don't waste your time.

Once stood...means any interest is about gone, unless your a ghost hunter. :)

Go to the original Gino's east for some stuffed pizza, over by NW Hospital right off the lake front. Some of the best you'll find, anywhere. Garrett's Popcorn is a treat also like Brock mentioned.

Personally, I wouldn't hit up the museums, aquarium, you want to be outdoors when on the lakefront and only venture inside for short periods of time to maybe eat or cool off. Plus they eat up lots of your time, but if your looking to do that then those are the places for you.

Rent bikes, there are stands and returns everywhere. It's the best mode of transportation to enjoy the lake from Navy pier on the north to the museum and Soldiers field to the south, and cruise along the river area. DO NOT go farther south than Soldiers field.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    tonyb wrote: »

Go to the original Gino's east for some stuffed pizza, over by NW Hospital right off the lake front. Some of the best you'll find, anywhere. Garrett's Popcorn is a treat also like Brock mentioned.

Rent bikes, there are stands and returns everywhere. It's the best mode of transportation to enjoy the lake from Navy pier on the north to the museum and Soldiers field to the south, and cruise along the river area. DO NOT go farther south than Soldiers field.

My favorite Chicago style pizzeria. That's the only Gino's I'll eat at. My parents took me there as a kid when we visited the City. I still try and hit it up when I'm in that area. I've been to 2 other Gino's locations, still very good, but not the same to me as the Original one. Probably a wee bit of nostalgia creeping in for me, but those old carved walls, tables, etc are very cool. The ambiance can't be recreated at the other locations.

My parents were just in the City to see a play and they brought home some Garrett's Popcorn.........delicious.

Navy Pier packs a lot of fun/variety, etc into one location. Definitely worth consideration. The Shedd aquarium, while one of the best, has gotten really pricey over the years if you want to see it all. We were going to come into the City in June for the Shedd, some restauranting and a Blue Man Group show, but I added everything up and it was too much $$$ for a short weekend. We went to Galena instead.

H9

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    A second for the Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry, take a river cruise, lots of different sight seeing cruises, Wrigley is a must see for any sports fan. Walk the mile for some shopping, ride the giant wheel at Navy Pier.

If you're near Wrigley check out http://www.saturdayaudio.com/ Lots of pre owned gear that's worth a look. They sell new items as well, just, lots of shelves stocked with various era of any and all gear.

Spice House is a great place to pick up any spice you might be curious about.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Blue man is awesome. Great for all ages and if you go to goldstar.com you can get cheaper tickets to a lot of shows.

Or get tickets to lala. ..
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    kharp1 wrote: »
    A second for the Art Institute, Museum of Science and Industry, take a river cruise, lots of different sight seeing cruises, Wrigley is a must see for any sports fan. Walk the mile for some shopping, ride the giant wheel at Navy Pier.

+1. The river "Architectural cruise is very good". The Wrigley area is also cool.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited August 2018
    Msabot1 wrote: »
    Not sure if it's still there,but back in the 70's I had a 3 hour layover in O'hare so I hailed a cab and had him drive me to the St.Valentines Day Massacre site..was always fascinated about that story and what went down there...

It's now a park. However, across the street is one of the best pizza places in Chicago, The Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Co.
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Going on Holiday for a week with my lovely wife and two teen age kids to southern Wisconsin to visit fam and a couple days in Chicago to visit Soldier Field and other sites. Any restaurants that stand out? Sites to see? Fun stuff to do in town? I know there are plenty of gentlemen on here who live near there. Appreciate any ideas. Thanks. D

So, make sure to put CPOG on your "to do list." ;)

There's a bridge now that leads from Millennium Park directly to the Art Institute. You'll be close to the Shedd Aquarium, the Adler Planetarium, and not too far from Navy Pier & Soldiers Field. Wrigley Field is not close and with the Cubs current standings, you're not likely to get tickets easily or inexpensively.

Best burgers in Chicago: Kumas Corner.

Want to eat healthy in the big city? Native Foods Café or The Chicago Diner are good places to start.

A favorite of mine, before I started eating "healthy" was a placed named Suzie's

There's a whole lotta places to go, things to see, and food to eat!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @halo when you say healthy and I see b@dazz deserts ie Chicago Diner...I get confused :D:D:D:D

For those who know me, desert is the most important meal of the day...right before bedtime with a glass of milk ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @halo when you say healthy and I see b@dazz deserts ie Chicago Diner...I get confused :D:D:D:D

For those who know me, desert is the most important meal of the day...right before bedtime with a glass of milk ;)

A desert guy, knew there was somethin' about you. :)

Kuma's has good burgers, best in Chicago might be a stretch though. Too many great food joints to list them all, but it's hard to miss one downtown Chicago.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

One of my professors at DePaul referred to those two restaurants as, "junk food for vegetarians." lol. In the case of the Chicago Diner, I can see the point but Native Foods is pretty clean and it's vegan (that's tough to pull off - a lot of restrictions).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10