SDA 1C

Hey,
New to this forum. I recently purchased a pair of SDA 1Cs. The 6.5" inch drivers on the right channel need to be replaced. I have learned that it is difficult to find the MW 6510 and MW 6511 and (it appears) the "replacement" MW 6503. Is there a source for these?

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Call Polk Customer Service 1.800.377.POLK (7655) Option 1
    Be sure to tell them you're a Club Polk member.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited August 2018
    What is wrong with the drivers? The magnets may have slipped, which is a time consuming but fixable problem.
    Also, I don’t think that the MW6503 is a suitable replacement for the MW6510/MW6511, but I’d let others pitch in on that front before you make any conclusions on them not being compatible. I’m still new to the SDA line.
    I also think that Polk still manufactures replacement drivers for these speakers, but I think they are different enough that you will need to replace all of the drivers in the left and right speakers, unfortunately.
    And welcome to CP!
  • Nothus
    Nothus Posts: 4
    No sound comes from the drivers. They make scratching sounds when gently pushed by hand. The drivers on the left speaker produce sound and make no noise when pushed or doing the leak check by pushing the passive. I pulled one driver and ohm'd it out Fluke DMM read OPEN.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Slipped magnets.

Call polk or take your chance buying used OEM off eBay. Be sure to cut a relief where the screws go or you will tear the rubber and ruin a new speaker. Believe us even if it doesn't appear to damage the rubber surround, It will and it will ruin the driver. Many have learned the hard way.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Slipped magnets can be repaired. I did a write up somewhere 'round here showing part numbers, supplies and how to build a jig. It's a 2 day process only because the adhesive needs to set 24 hrs. Otherwise it would take 10-20 min per driver.
  • Nothus
    Nothus Posts: 4
    Okay, are the magnets actually loose or do they loosen and then the adhesive reseals the out of position. Also what are the symptoms of a shifted magnet?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The magnets generally shift, but sometimes they fall off. The scratching sound you heard is an excellent indication, but not always. If you didn't apply even pressure around the driver as you pushed in it will make a scratching sound. Just pull the drivers in question and look at the back, it'll be bloody obvious if shifted and no, the adhesive does not re-adhere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk