SDA CRS

I decided I probably should create a new thread for these speakers, rather than posting on the Infinity for sale thread. I’m gonna pick up where I left off.
I managed to set up the CRS’s in my own room, and have them set up correctly. I also used some Monster Cable and some paper clips to make my own SDA cables. I was rather impressed with the way those are working out, they fit almost perfectly.
I’ve been listening to them for a while now, and I have to say, WOW. Now that they are set up correctly, the sound stage is nothing short of breath-taking. The clarity is insane. Even at the highest volumes, I can hear every tiny pop and click.
I disconnected the dimensional tweeter, and I like them a lot more that way. Not as overly bright (I like a bright speaker, and even my ears were hurting), and still crystal clear, with a nice warm sound.
I have them set up 7.5 inches from the wall, and 4.5 feet apart. I’m sitting around 5 feet from each speaker, Andy I’ve found this to be the best spot.
The craziest thing to me, is the fact that if I set the balance all the way to the left or right, it is like listening to a set of headphones. You can hear nothing out of the other ear. Truly incredible.
Thanks CH46E for the speakers! I’ll be enjoying them!
Micah
wiinbe02kith.jpg

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    And the door to the rabbit hole has opened just a crack to glimpse what lies beyond. You must now decide to open it further and step across the threshold...... Or decide to draw it closed and ne'er look back.....
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    lightman1 wrote: »
    And the door to the rabbit hole has opened just a crack to glimpse what lies beyond. You must now decide to open it further and step across the threshold...... Or decide to draw it closed and ne'er look back.....

It’s already been thrown open, and I’m runnin’ through :wink::lol:
    I am kinda liking the speakers as a whole, so I think I’ll rebuild the crossovers, but I’m not sure about replacing the tweeters. I like the sound of the SL1000s as is, especially with the dimensional tweeter disconnected. Maybe y’all can convince me it needs to be done.
  • mlistens03
    Quick question. Can I hook up a powered sub (specific model is a Velodyne CHT-10) with these speakers, and will it be ok? And if it won’t, would it be ok to wire the sub and speakers in parallel, but with the amplifier outputs going to the speakers first, and then the sub?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Quick question. Can I hook up a powered sub (specific model is a Velodyne CHT-10) with these speakers, and will it be ok? And if it won’t, would it be ok to wire the sub and speakers in parallel, but with the amplifier outputs going to the speakers first, and then the sub?

You'll need more paper clips...
  • mlistens03

You'll need more paper clips...

Why would I need more?
    And also, I know the paper clips are not a great solution, but they are a free solution that gets the job done. I’ll get a real SDA cable eventually, but as of right now I’ve got a lot of more pressing issues in my setup.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Ken is being funny...

A powered sub off the receiver's pre-outs will be just fine.
  • mlistens03
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Ken is being funny...

A powered sub off the receiver's pre-outs will be just fine.

This is my Technics integrated, so there are no pre-outs other than the tape, and I don’t feel like adjusting subwoofer volume along with the normal volume knob. Would it work with the normal speaker level inputs and outputs on the sub? And, if that wouldn’t work, could I run the speaker wires from the Technics, to the SDAs, to the subwoofer speaker level inputs?
    Thanks.
  • FestYboy
    Does the Technics have a "speaker B" switch? If so, it use that instead. Cleaner wiring and eliminates the off chance that there may be a weird reaction with the SDA circuit.
  • mlistens03
    Does the Technics have a "speaker B" switch? If so, it use that instead. Cleaner wiring and eliminates the off chance that there may be a weird reaction with the SDA circuit.

Ok, I will! Thanks!
  • mlistens03
    So I hooked up the sub the way you said on Channel B (which is actually called “Remote” on my amplifier, so I don’t know if that means there is something different or not) and there’s is no sound coming through the speakers or the sub. This means that the channels are wired in series rather than parallel, yes? And how can I get past this? Can I attach 2 short peices of cable to jump the gap in the sub? If it’s wired in series, that should make it like running just one set of speakers, right?
  • FestYboy
    No, it should be in parallel. Most receivers can have both running at the same time... Have you tried just the sub channel for output?
  • mlistens03
    edited July 2018
    No, it should be in parallel. Most receivers can have both running at the same time... Have you tried just the sub channel for output?

Yeah I played it for about an hour on the remote. I’ll try again with it actually running through the sub. I can switch it back to main, and the speakers come back on.
    I think it is designed so that the impedance is doubled through a series circuit, rather than halved through a parallel circuit. And that means that if one or the other isn’t passing current, then it won’t work. I think (I don’t know, I think) that the sub doesn’t actually connect positive to the ground in any way, rather I think that it just sits in the circuit, without affecting it.
  • mlistens03
    edited July 2018
    Ok, so it seems like the Remote channel has issues, which is causing it not to work correctly. If I can get the sub to even turn on in the first place, which requires a lot of volume, the sub will thunder along happily, but the speakers will be so quiet that you can barely hear the music with your ear right next to the drivers.
    I think that with the way that I believe the sub to work, it should be OK for it to be connected through the mains. I’m gonna give it a go, unless one of you know for a fact that I’m setting out to destroy my amp/speakers.
    (Edit) I quickly took some readings with my multimeter, and there is around 4k ohms between the positive and negative terminals, so that explains the really low volume from the mains. There is also around 0.06 ohms between the two same red/black posts.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Get an integrated with a subwoofer pre-out.
  • mlistens03
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Get an integrated with a subwoofer pre-out.

I would, but any that I’ve been able to find tend to be very new and cost a lotta money. (for me anyway.)
    I don’t have any money at all this point, and I don’t have the money for anything that is “new” as in costs around it’s actual value and is newer than 1995. That fits the bill of most amps with a subwoofer pre-out. If you have any budget recommendations, than let me know, but I don’t want to have to spend more money on another integrated. Besides, the sub is designed to work without problems with the amplifier, so I think it should be OK.
    If only the Lafayette worked correctly, ‘cause it has channel 2 pre-outs.
  • FestYboy
    Pictars pleez.
  • mlistens03
    edited July 2018
    Pictars pleez.

Sure.
    I just discovered that I disconnected the wrong tweeter in the right CRS, so it is not available for the pics, but here is basically what I did for the left.
    1wnyjny6v20x.jpg
    As far as I can tell, it has made no difference to the sound of the speakers, other than some more volume in the lows. I can give a more full description once I have the right speaker working again.
    You can also see my homemade SDA cable in the background their. :lol: Not the best design, but it gets the job done, and it was free. I’ll order one from Polk eventually, but for right now I’m gonna leave it as it is.
    (Edit for grammar)
  • mlistens03
    Are the main drivers in this speaker supposed to have the white and black wires or the blue and white wires?
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited July 2018
    Im not 100% sure but i know that the wires for each driver will only reach thier respective driver. Ie, the wires for one driver are much shorter than the wires for the other driver. Not sure you can mix them up.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Are the main drivers in this speaker supposed to have the white and black wires or the blue and white wires?

White and black are stereo

Blue and white are dimensional
  • mlistens03
    edited July 2018
    CH46E wrote: »
    Im not 100% sure but i know that the wires for each driver will only reach thier respective driver. Ie, the wires for one driver are much shorter than the wires for the other driver. Not sure you can mix them up.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

White and black are stereo

Blue and white are dimensional

Ok, thanks guys!
    I don’t understand what’s going on at this point, I’m going to investigate further. But it seems like the tweeter in the right speaker is playing the dimensional information, and the midwoofer is not. Hopefully when this is sorted out the soundstage will be even better.
    (Edit) Ok, so I don’t know what happened, but now it is working perfectly. I didn’t even unplug any of the drivers, so I don’t know how that worked out, but I guess if it’s working, I just use it?
    Sound stage did improve significantly, i am being even more wowed by the second. The sub is bringing back the lows that have been missing since I was using the Missions, so I’m very happy with that.
    Thanks guys for your help!
    Micah
    Post edited by mlistens03 on
  • CH46E
    edited July 2018
    When i got them it was obvious that someone had been inside and tampered with the wire. Anything is possible. I never tried the one tweeter disconnected so i never had that problem with them.

Good luck!

Im really enjoying these Infinity. Really like the Emit tweeter.

Wanted to ask you, did you add or delete any batting in the Infinities? I noticed even with loud volumes there is almost no air from the ports. Just curious.

• CH46E
    edited July 2018
    Im glad you are enjoying them. They were not getting used as they should in such a high shelf in my bedroom as you saw. Their sound could not be appriciated up there.
  • mlistens03
    When i got them it was obvious that someone had been inside and tampered with the wire. Anything is possible. I never tried the one tweeter disconnected so i never had that problem with them.

Good luck!

Im really enjoying these Infinity. Really like the Emit tweeter.

Wanted to ask you, did you add or delete any batting in the Infinities? I noticed even with loud volumes there is almost no air from the ports. Just curious.

I did not add or delete anything from the Infinities, although I don’t know if the original owner did or didn’t. From what I know from the interwebz, the tweeter and mid section is supposed to be stuffed full, The top woofer is supposed to have walls covered in batting, and the bottom woofer is supposed to be stuffed full of batting.

I don’t know what I did or didn’t do while I was inside the CRS’s, but now they are working perfectly. I think I missed something that was off when I pulled them apart, and I put them back together correctly. The soundstage improved significantly from before I attempted to repair them, and the highs improved as well.
    Im glad you are enjoying them. They were not getting used as they should in such a high shelf in my bedroom as you saw. Their sound could not be appriciated up there.

My room still isn’t perfect. They are sitting about a foot higher than they are supposed to be (I don’t think that is really a big deal) and the side walls are only 1-2 feet away. (This is probably a bigger deal.) I’m going to get them proper stands, and just hold out for the next time we move and I hopefully get a bigger room. I think we probably are gonna move (relatively) soon, because my parents are always talking about it. Then again, in our old house they always talked about moving, and we lived there for 10 years.
  • Lol you never know :D
    2 Channel:
    Jbl Lx44
    Optonica Sa 5105
    Blue Jean 12 gauge cable
    Audioquest evergreen 3.5mm to rca cable
    Technics Sl BD22 TT
    Randomness:
    Klh model 26's
    Peavey Pr15's
    Gls cables for peaveys
    Numark DM1175 Preamp mixer
    Random cables
    Bic f12
    Svs soundpath subwoofer cable
    Lafayette Lr-200a amplifier
  • mlistens03
    Lol you never know :D

Never know what?
  • mlistens03
    I’m gonna order the SDA cable ASAP after taking a multimeter to the cables and finding a 4 ohm impedance. :#:D I thought I did a better job making them. Oh well, I guess the good things must be paid for when it comes to audio. :wink:
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    steel (paper clip) is a **** conductor.
  • mlistens03
    Schurkey wrote: »
    steel (paper clip) is a **** conductor.

I thought about that, but I didn’t think it would make that big a difference. I thought maybe .4-.5 ohms, but boy was I wrong. :lol:
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Pin/Blade or Blade/Blade IC?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member