* FIRST POST! * my 2 channel system, now featuring Polk LSi speakers!

aquaphile
aquaphile Posts: 5
edited July 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Hello Polk forum!

I'd like to share my hifi, which has been a work in progress over the last... 8 years or so. I decided to join this forum as my latest upgrade is a pair of new-to-me LSi25's :D

So my girlfiend-now-fiance and I are estate sale junkies. When she comes across audio gear and speakers when cruising online listings, she will ask if it's worth investigating and/or pursuing. Usually it isn't. I heard "is Polk Audio any good?" and knew that was a wide spectrum of chance. But in the pics I recognized the wooden cheeks of the LSi series and remembered that was their flagship series. I head over that day, and see the two towers and what appears to be a matching sub in the corner. The set of three is listed at $500... *sigh* I already have too many speakers and that's a bit steeper than I would like. I ask if they are taking offers, which they are, but they must be at least half; and I hear the speakers have an offer in. I give an offer of $275 thinking "can't say I didn't try!" ......................... and then I receive a call-back the next afternoon!! Gimme an hour! Pulling out the speakers let me see everything, two LSi25s and a single LSi9 that when I saw buried a few days ago I assumed was a sub. SCORE!!

When I first had the LSi's, they were powered by an Adcom GFA-2535, which is a 4ch amp rated at 90w @ 4ohms. This allowed me to truly bi-amp, which I was already doing with my previous speakers. Some months later, I find another estate sale score... a Rotel RB-980bx in near perfect shape. And on "half off" day at that! Although the Adcom is plenty high current, the Rotel proved to be a significant step up. The 980bx is rated at 220w @ 4ohms, and clearly gives the Polks more of what the want. It was easy to assume that in a modest sized living room with condo-appropriate listening levels the Adcom would be more than adequate, but that still doesn't change the efficiency of the speakers or *their needs* ...per say.

Between the speakers and amp upgrade, they have given a huge step up at a total investment for not quite $400. The speakers have a few tiny dings, but nothing distracting and all drivers are in perfect shape. The grills are a bit rough, but who uses those anyway. Overall, they appeared to have a typical upscale suburban basement life.

If I ever switch from 2ch to HT, I plan on using the single LSi9 as a center channel. There are obviously LSiC's floating around, but I have this lying around waiting for use. That will be after a move sometime in the future, and who knows... I may stay 2ch forever ;) I actually more often dream about setting up hard-wired zones (indoor and outdoor). I would like to have matching amps, But owning an Adcom and Rotel give me many, many options on the 2nd hand market. I enjoy stalking listings online, but I'll probably wait for a local score.

Other stuff/system list

Polk LSi25
Rotel RB980bx
Martin Logan Dynamo w/Auralex Subdude II
Marantz SR4023 (pre and phono duty)
Pro-Ject Debut III w/Herbies Way Excellent Mat
Pro-Ject Speedbox II
Ortofon 2M Blue
PS Audio Digital Link III
Apple TV (primary streaming device)
Samsung LN40D630
PS Audio Quintet
Salamander Design Archetype

Thanks for reading!!
Post edited by aquaphile on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Welcome to Club Polk and congrats on your finds.

A few things though, you were never bi-amping. At a bare minimum that requires totally separate amplifiers and true bi-amping requires active crossovers.

Speakers are voiced with the grills on, therefore should be used with them on.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Nice setup, great deal, and welcome! B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • aquaphile
    edited July 2018
    F1nut wrote: »

A few things though, you were never bi-amping. At a bare minimum that requires totally separate amplifiers and true bi-amping requires active crossovers.

Actually, it is a true 4 channel amp. The Adcom GFA-2535 is essentially two GFA-535's in one chassis, aka (2x)535. When looking at the specs compared to the 535, the 2535 draws roughly double, 410va for the 535 (100w 4ohm) max vs. 840va for the 2535 (90w 4ohm).

Below is a pic of my Adcom in use (rear views are all over google).

1n7hnfso5sv6.jpg

I suppose I didn't consider separate crossovers... but considering my other speakers both have two sets of binding posts, I'll probably continue running all 4 channels regardless once it is put back to work haha.

And I'll take my chances with the grills off, I like 'em naked!
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Welcome to the forum. Heck of a setup for $400! Keep coming back because there are lots of great folks here to help you with your audio "habit."
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Welcome, very nice setup...
  • Jetmaker737
    Jetmaker737 Posts: 1,000
    Welcome. And, yeah... grills off!
    SystemLuxman L-590AXII Integrated Amplifier|Sonus Faber Cremona Loudspeakers|PS Audio Directream Jr|Sansui TU-9900 Tuner|TEAC A-6100 RtR|Nakamichi RX-202 Cassette
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Nice job. Welcome to CP! :)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Welcome! Great setup, that Rotel looks really nice, as do your LSis.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Welcome aboard @aquaphile
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • aquaphile
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for the kind words everyone!
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum. Heck of a setup for $400...

Well that $400 is just the speakers and amp, but at this point I would have to spend pretty big to beat the combo. Btw, you have quite a signature!
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Thanks! I couldn't hep but notice the Mission Freedom's in your signature. My 2nd system features my *real* estate sale score... a pair of Mission Argonauts purchased for $50! They each have a stratch or two on the tops, but whatever!

Here's a pic just for fun...

tcf7ehlbk7qp.jpg

The other is stuffed in a corner, but it also serves as bodyguard for my LSi9, which sits on top of it, still unused.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    aquaphile wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

Actually, it is a true 4 channel amp. The Adcom GFA-2535 is essentially two GFA-535's in one chassis, aka (2x)535. When looking at the specs compared to the 535, the 2535 draws roughly double, 410va for the 535 (100w 4ohm) max vs. 840va for the 2535 (90w 4ohm).

Below is a pic of my Adcom in use (rear views are all over google).

1n7hnfso5sv6.jpg

I suppose I didn't consider separate crossovers... but considering my other speakers both have two sets of binding posts, I'll probably continue running all 4 channels regardless once it is put back to work haha.

And I'll take my chances with the grills off, I like 'em naked!

I stand somewhat corrected. It does appear to be 2 amplifiers in one chassis. Still need to use active crossovers to be true bi-amping though.

Do you look at your speakers when listening? You shouldn't. Have you tried listening with the grills on, you might prefer to hear them the way they were intended.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Nice pick up and nice setup.

Hope you stick around and enjoy the forum.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited July 2018
    Great find and nice setup.

I use a Adcom GFA-2535 to run my 4 Aura's shakers on my sim rig. It works very well being a 4 channel amp.

Beware this place makes you want to spend $$$$$$$$$.

I thought my on line racing site and forum (iRacing.com) was bad, but this is much worst and that's bad when a person is retired.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767

Thanks! I couldn't hep but notice the Mission Freedom's in your signature. My 2nd system features my *real* estate sale score... a pair of Mission Argonauts purchased for $50! They each have a stratch or two on the tops, but whatever!

Here's a pic just for fun...

tcf7ehlbk7qp.jpg

The other is stuffed in a corner, but it also serves as bodyguard for my LSi9, which sits on top of it, still unused.

[/quote]

aaah don’t be jealous, don’t be jealous, don’t be jealous... ok I’m jealous. :tongue:
    I got my 770’s at the flea market for $75 last year, and I’ve been loving them. I have the Freedom MK IV, so it’s the model without the time-aligned baffle. I’ve heard rumors that this model sound slightly better, but I still really want MK IV’s because they just look incredible, and they still sound amazing.
    The condition of mine is pretty abysmal. Water stains on top, scratches all over the sides, etc. but the drivers are all in great condition, but still need some minor service after ~38 years, which is to be expected.
  • aquaphile
    Milito wrote: »
    Beware this place makes you want to spend $$$$$$$$$.

I thought my on line racing site and forum was bad...

Hah! I've have spent countless hours reading reviews, listings, manuals, and specs of anything and everything. From crap I pass over at thrift stores to class A amps and speakers that cost more than my car did when new. Fortunately I'm usually too cash-poor to get really foolish. Or so he says! Before this I was (am) a huge aquarium nerd, I have since stepped away from saltwater/coral reef setups. The fun of stereos is little to no recurring upkeep/costs. I'm also now a professional fish nerd, which makes for enjoyable work (for me), but less of an at-home hobby so to speak...
    aaah don’t be jealous, don’t be jealous, don’t be jealous... ok I’m jealous

Mwuahahahaha *evil laugh*

Currently I'm using them with a Sony GX800ES. It isn't among the super rare/collectible ES units, but it's an ES regardless and has a (2ohm stable!) push-pull amp section. Admittedly it is too much power, especially for my small spare room. I would love to give the missions a proper room, and would like to eventually mate them with the Adcom I've been mentioning. Of course, what I would reeeally like to do is find some small tube mono amps, with one on each top of the relatively square speaker. The Argonauts are 4ohm speakers, but are 95db(!) efficient, so I've been dreaming of low power offerings.

I have a Sony STC-7000 pre on stand by right now. It functions fine, but the volume pot could use a cleaning (I believe...), and a light or two needs replacing. These were huge money decades ago, and my future father-in-law rescued the unit CURBSIDE, so a simple service would still keep my total investment quite low for the unit, and ensure another few decades of use! Once that happens, I may switch things around and use the Sony pre with the Missions and Adcom.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Nice setup and welcome to the club.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Welcome man! Great deals and I love great deals!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I dig the Lsi 25's. The Lsi's where that speaker that really turned it around for polk back in the day to get back into the higher end offerings.
    Those where good days.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • joecoulson
    They were. I used to drool over them when Hifibuys was still around in Atlanta. Back when more places had mid end stereo gear. Now it’s either B.B. or stupid high end in this market.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Welcome! Nice rig.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    zuul wrote: »
    the guy.....hifi buys moniker.

The Hifibuyguy?
  • joecoulson
    zuul wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »
    They were. I used to drool over them when Hifibuys was still around in Atlanta. Back when more places had mid end stereo gear. Now it’s either B.B. or stupid high end in this market.

hifi buys is back in business in Atlanta... but now it's a high end store. the guy who used to own audio alternative bought the rights to the name and reopened with the hifi buys moniker. used to do business with them back in the old days. good people.

Yes that’s Alan. Great guy and love that store. But I miss having showrooms a little closer to home. I’m up at Lanier.
    I did visit GA Home theater the other day, they have a stunning 20k sq foot showroom.
    But that’s on the other side of town

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk, nice setup enjoy.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    welcome to club polk, nice score, nice set up, nice room
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Welcome.

Beautiful room and set-up. The LSi15's were the first speaker that opened my ears.

Enjoy..
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Welcome! Been here since December and really enjoyed my time. Learned a lot. Laughed a lot too. And my wallet is much lighter! I’ve completely transformed my rig, and become enlightened!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.