Advice on powering SDA 1C. Will a Crown CTS 2000 work -- Other options?

CoolHandLukedog
CoolHandLukedog Posts: 6
edited July 2018 in Vintage Speakers
First post on the forum, so be gentle!

I am most likely picking up a pair of SDA 1C's tomorrow. They are in excellent condition and still with the original owner, and a decent deal.

I'm unsure of the my best option on how to power them. A good friend of mine who works in pro audio has a new in box Crown CTS 2000 that he can let for $500, he paid $1000 for them. Seems fair from a market price standpoint based on my research, but i encountered a *lively* thread from years back about how basically pro-amps sucks and are not appropriate for home audio yadda yadda. Don't want to get involved in the politics, and I'm still pretty much a rookie. Basically, is the CTS 2000 acceptable for these speakers (ie. common ground?) for a rook like me? For that, or close, budget are there other options I have that are markedly better? I don't think I necessarily have the "audiophile" ear at this point, so I'm not sure how far I should go out of my way (or budget) to find something better.

Could you guys provide me some solid advice for a relative newbie? I live in Maryland if anyone knows any trustworthy places or dealers to buy an amp from.

Appreciate it.

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Have your friend check for continuity between the ground posts of the amp. If there's continuity, you're good to go, if you're set on that amp. Otherwise, I'd spend that $ on an Adcom GFA 555 or big boy NAD PE (2600 or 2700). And use the left overs to put tword mods for the 1Cs.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2018
    Pro amps suck.

All watts are not created equal.

What size room? What music do you listen to? What are you using for a pre amp and what are your sources?

There aren't many audio stores left in Maryland. SoundScape in Baltimore is still around though.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    I don't generally recommend this brand for audiophile-type listening, but I do highly recommend them over a PA amp for stereo use.

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/a-300

This one is even cheaper that the Crown, comes brand new in the box, and will be common ground.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I'm not familiar with that model of SDA, but I don't feel that a Crown amp is a good choice to take advantage of what SDAs can do.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    Pro amps suck.

All watts are not created equal.

What size room? What music do you listen to? What are you using for a pre amp and what are your sources?

There aren't many audio stores left in Maryland. SoundScape in Baltimore is still around though.

Room is approximately 20'x13'. I listen to everything, from classical to jazz to house/disco and leftfield stuff like techno/ambient. Pretty much all vinyl as I am mostly vinyl DJ in my area, so I have some strange tastes. As for the preamp, I run my music through a Carmen Condesa, which is a custom built mixer with multiple phono inputs, all discrete circuitry and known for high quality sound. Here's a link:

https://condesaelectronics.com/shop/carmen-v/

Starting to look like my money could be better spent on another amp based on initial responses. Hmmm.

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Just making sure... you aren’t using these as pro audio DJ speakers, are you?
    And I concur with the above posts. I got a pro amp in spite of what they said, and I’ve been regretting it ever since.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
  • mlistens03 wrote: »
    Just making sure... you aren’t using these as pro audio DJ speakers, are you?
    And I concur with the above posts. I got a pro amp in spite of what they said, and I’ve been regretting it ever since.

Nope, these are just for at home listening to new record pickups. I am currently using mediocre monitors and they are making my ears bleed.
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Gorgeous DJ mixer! I was looking at this one recently: https://mastersounds.co.uk/collections/mixers/products/radius-4v

Those Mastersounds Mixers are great! I don't think you would be disappointed with any of them.
  • Clipdat
    As other have said, don't get the Crown. For a $500 budget you can do much better. Get something that will actually compliment the high quality preamp/mixer that you have. Running the output of that to a Crown would be a shame, imo.
  • CoolHandLukedog
    CoolHandLukedog Posts: 6
    edited July 2018
    There is a Rotel RB 991 in excellent condition in my area available for $500. Anyone know anything about that amp and if it pairs well with a 1C?

Specifications
    Power output: 200 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
    Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz
    Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
    Damping factor: 500
    Input sensitivity: 1V
    Signal to noise ratio: 120dB
    Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω
    Dimensions: 440 x 127 x 385mm
    Weight: 16.7kg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Rotels are good
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    There is a Rotel RB 991 in excellent condition in my area available for $500. Anyone know anything about that amp and if it pairs well with a 1C?

Specifications
    Power output: 200 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
    Frequency response: 10Hz to 100kHz
    Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
    Damping factor: 500
    Input sensitivity: 1V
    Signal to noise ratio: 120dB
    Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω
    Dimensions: 440 x 127 x 385mm
    Weight: 16.7kg

Specs well, and has plenty of power for them. Sounds like a good choice! No pun intended.
  • pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    edited July 2018
    I will add to the group of look for something else. There can be plenty of stuff on craigslist. Ask the people here. Everyone has opinions but generally speaking provide good advice on pricing for used amps, what to check, and what to be wary of.

I don't know anything about the mixer you are using, so I'll let others comment and provide input if that would not mesh well with anything.

I started with a Hafler DH-220 on my 1'C's. That worked fine unless you were really pushing it to rock the house levels. Then the bass lost a little umf compared to other amps. They are old, but pretty durable. They can have issues, and might need some adjustments. There is a risk, but they can be found for under $200. There are plenty of better newer amps that will work well too for under $500. A ballpark of 100-150W good high current amp will do fine.

Now I run a Parasound 2250 with a P5 pre-amp. I scored the pair for a little under $1000.

On a side note, the SL2000's in the 1C's are a little harsh. I kind of got used to them, but now that I got bigger SDA's with better tweeters, I notice the harshness of the SL2000's again. Polk makes replacement tweeters, the RD-0194. They are $50 each from Polk and drop right in. Tell them you are a forum member and shipping is free.

I'll be the first to mention, you probably will want to upgrade the crossovers too, or at least many people here will recommend it eventually. In short, Sonicap or Clarity ESA/CSA caps are recommend for the high pass or all around. To save some money Clarity PX, or possibly Solens. Mills or Mundorf Mox resistors to replace the ceramic ones. You can reuse the inductors.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    BartDaws wrote: »
    I would decline an offer of any quality 200 watt amp, the effortless oomph is where I need to be.

Just curious, are you referring to the B&K amp I listed? Also, are you suggesting to decline for yourself or the OP?

The watts are not where the focus should be, it's the whole package, including available amps...( aka amperes)

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I tried a Parasound 200 watter.

I'm in Vermont.

Did you buy your SDAs in Vermont? If so, where? I'm certain you didn't buy a Parasound in Vermont. At least not from a local dealer. :p
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Ah the Crown CTS, I remember trying to determine if I wanted one of those. Connections and level pots on the back are annoying and it's a power switching amp opposed to class a/b I think not as good. I grabbed a Crown X300 for $260. Don't think I'd argue a bit If someone called it's preamp section laughable but it gets me by and no clipping is a must. I indulge in the occasional electronica type music and my amp and SDA's do very well on that. I would decline an offer of any quality 200 watt amp, the effortless oomph is where I need to be.

You probably meant the X3000. Built for shear output without regard for sound quality. I suspect you'll be close to deaf in a few years.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I tried a Parasound 200 watter that is supposedly pretty nice but I think I forgot to turn it up enough and sold it. It's pretty cool when you go from one click on the pots which is basically silent, to click 2 being the listening level. I play with the volume slider on Spotify to find the sweet spot in each song. That spot as far as I know is not 350 watts so really what the hell do I know. I'm in Vermont, It might be fun for someone in the area (probably nobody) to put my amp in it's place. There's one on the Bay going nowhere fast at $200 in Jersey. So anyway, I challenge.

That spot isn't 350 watts on the crown either. Maybe get your read on and try to understand how this stuff works and why different amps require different volume dial levels.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I'd look into that B&K gmc linked above, and try for an offer of $400 shipped. Looks like maybe OE box and packing materials, too.

If your mixer is detailed, B&K amps will be a good match. Also consider the Reference 200.2. The 4420 is an earlier model. Nothing wrong with it (I have an even earlier EX-442; similar), but in that price range, you might find the newer 200.2.

PS - a deejay without an audiophile ear? We'll fix that B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    PS.
    BartDaws - what're you on, dude? Sleep it off! :pB)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Whoa. Most of Vermont's non-bovine population is active on the Polk forums?!

;)

I mean this in good sport, as I am right across the river from all y'all, and do go over to the "other side" more than occasionally.
  • msg
    3j6bc94hki7n.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • Just to fill you guys, I bought my 1Cs and they are sadly sitting at home without power and silent. I basically threw my money at the seller after inspecting and auditioning them and he was running a crappy amp.

There are several amps in my area I am looking at. If anyone has any thoughts or experience with them, I'd like to hear

Adcom 555mk2 ($380)
    Adcom 585 ($475)
    Rotel RB-991 ($500)
    Hafler XL 600 ($700 - budget stretch for me)

All might have some wiggle room in regards to negotiating. All visually appear in good condition.

And yes, I plan on working on my audiophile ear :). I got into this world because I started buying old vintage DJ mixers (Rane MP2016 and Urei 1620) and some turntables on Craigslist and taught myself basic refurbishing, re-wiring etc. I was amazed by the ridiculous improvement in sound quality from the older rigs, NIGHT AND DAY improvement over the mass produced stuff in most clubs and studios these days.
  • Clipdat
    UREI 1620 is a great sounding DJ mixer.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    I had an adcom a long time ago and was not a fan. Sounded harsh to my ears. Amps I've run with SDAs (I've had 1C and 2.3TL) are Parasound and currently a Sunfire signature grand. I enjoy their musicality. I also ran an Anthem Amp 1 tube amp with my 1C's way back that made them sound like liquid gold. Someday when the kids are grown I will get another tube amp.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • I ended up getting a Rotel RB-991 in my area, sounds great to my ears and more than enough power. Really appreciate the input from everybody :). Glad to be a part of the Polk Club!