I Think I Made a Mistake

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
The short version is there was a dog wandering around lost. No phone number on the collar, only a rabies tag. I was going to put her in my car take her to the vet and get her checked for a chip. A guy comes up and says he thinks he knows who's it is. Not that he's sure, he sounded hesitant about it. I explained what I was about to do and he says what if she doesn't have one though, I think I know who's dog it is. I'll let her hang out with me while I finish eating at the park for now. I was in the middle of working, still am, so I reluctantly said okay. Now that I think about it if he really wanted to find the owner why wouldn't he want to go get her checked for a chip? I have this feeling in my gut that he's going to just keep this dog and now I feel like an A hole.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• Nightfall
    Without going into the long version though I know this guy isn't from Colorado, his zip code started with a 3 and I have his phone number. If I see any lost dog signs would this be enough info to force him to give the dog back if he really was trying to just take it?

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    He wants to give the dog back to the irresponsible owner that let it roam free? uhh..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    What makes you think his zip code and phone number are real?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    You did fine. ;)

Yup,I think they'd track him down and get the dog back!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    F1nut wrote: »

I ran his card with the zip code and called him on the number.

• Nightfall
    Clipdat wrote: »
    He wants to give the dog back to the irresponsible owner that let it roam free? uhh..

Mistakes happen. Fences can get dug under or jumped over a kid can open a door the lawn company could have left a gate open...

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709
    Nightfall wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

I ran his card with the zip code and called him on the number.

Ok, in that case he's likely legit.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    I'm hoping you're right. If my dog got out somehow and someone just kept her without doing everything they could I would be so mad. Baseball bat to the face mad. I guess that's why I feel guilty right now.

• Nightfall
    Still, I should have insisted.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Clipdat wrote: »

Yes, everyone who loses a dog is an "irresponsible owner". That is the only possible scenario. I'll call the DA and have them file charges.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Our dog used to get out all the time, and we weren’t irresponsible. She would jump the fence, with no warning, and by the time we got to the gate and back where she jumped, she was long gone. She always came back in an hour or two, and if she didn’t, it was because someone had stopped her and called us.
    This went on for years, probably once or twice a month. Everyone within a mile knew the name Penny. Our dog was the word on the street :lol:
    All that to say, we did our best and we still couldn’t get her to not leave. Shock collars had no effect (she was too stupid to realize she was getting shocked as a punishment), and the only thing that worked (and it only worked briefly) was to have an electric wire, except it would break every 2 or 3 days.
  • Viking64
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Our dog used to get out all the time, and we weren’t irresponsible. She would jump the fence, with no warning, and by the time we got to the gate and back where she jumped, she was long gone. She always came back in an hour or two, and if she didn’t, it was because someone had stopped her and called us.
    This went on for years, probably once or twice a month. Everyone within a mile knew the name Penny. Our dog was the word on the street :lol:
    All that to say, we did our best and we still couldn’t get her to not leave. Shock collars had no effect (she was too stupid to realize she was getting shocked as a punishment), and the only thing that worked (and it only worked briefly) was to have an electric wire, except it would break every 2 or 3 days.

Well, you were irresponsible if you didn't take away her X-Box privileges or make her wear that Bon Jovi sweatshirt as punishment. :p
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mlistens03 wrote: »

Well, you were irresponsible if you didn't take away her X-Box privileges or make her wear that Bon Jovi sweatshirt as punishment. :p

I tried to take away the xBox, but she didn’t care!
    The Bon Jovi sweatshirt would’ve been too cruel, especially in a FL summer.
    :wink::tongue:
  • Viking64
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Penny don't play dat! :p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Had an Irish Setter that would climb a 5 foot chain link fence, and that was after he broke the chain we would tie him to in the yard. We weren't irresponsible either. Dogs just have a natural need to roam.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Yeah well, my brown dog is bigger than your pugs!!!

But then again, he's easily distracted by butterflies...D'oh

:o
  • Viking64
    oldrocker wrote: »
    Yeah well, my brown dog is bigger than your pugs!!!

My pugs can beat your brown dog at Battleship 7 times out of 10! Little PT109 is always the game-changer. :p

3nnvfh6od0tf.jpg