TiVo users - A question.

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
I recently upgraded my 1998 32” CRT TV to a 65” Sony XBR900F. However, I still have the Comcast digital to analog cable device since my old TiVo only records analog. Today I received an email saying TiVo will be canceling service for these old models in September, and I should upgrade (see image below).

Anyway, my question is what hoops do I have to jump through to get Comcast to work with the new Tivo. Do I need some cable box, etc.

bkb49ptuny3f.png
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• maggiefan
    maggiefan Posts: 223
    You won't need any cable box from Comcast, but you will need a cable card from Comcast. Return the box you have now. You will have to set it up with Comcast. That is a good deal.

Larry

Larry
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    And you should love that unit. I have a Bolt and by far, it has the highest resolution of ANY streaming device out there. Just wish it had HDR.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    Yes, you will just need a cable card.

I've been using Tivo with Comcast cable card for about 6 years now. Initial setup can be a pain to get the card synced/authorized. Make sure you setup on a weekday during reasonable day hours (say 9am-9pm) using their dedicated cable card team. If you try to setup during wonky hours, you may get overseas support that will struggle to authorize the card.

BTW, that is a sweet deal getting the lifetime (all-in) service for $99. I got a similar deal a few years back and it doesn't show up very often.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BlueFox
    Great. I ordered the 1TB box, and it should arrive Friday. I will go to Comcast Monday to return the digital to analog box, and get the cable card. I hope. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    If you have a 4K tv, search 4K videos on YouTube after you get the unit. You will see a marked difference in resolution from other 4K sources. Congrats!
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    joecoulson wrote: »
    If you have a 4K tv, search 4K videos on YouTube after you get the unit. You will see a marked difference in resolution from other 4K sources. Congrats!

How is TiVo's 4k resolution higher than other 4k sources??
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Maybe it is a higher frame rate? Has better HDR? I dunno...
    Maybe it is 4001 pixels... :wink::lol:
  • billbillw
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

I think he means that YouTube's 4K content is better than many other sources...If not, I have no idea. He probably should have said "marked difference in quality", not resolution.
  • billbillw
    BTW, this is the info you need to activate/pair the cable card.
    https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/pair-activate-cablecard
    Make sure you call their Cable Card Support Line, not the generic Comcast number.
    1-877-405-2298
  • You will need to go through the initial device set up which assigns the carrier and confirm what stations are on what channels. Once that is done, then you insert the cable card in the bottom of the unit.
    Two things that I cannot recommend strongly enough:
    1)WHEN YOU RETURN ANYTHING TO COMCAST MAKE SURE YOU GET A RECEIPT AND DO NOT EVER LOSE IT!!
    2)When you do the cable card pairing DO NOT hang up the phone. First make sure any and all premium channels that you are paying for are coming through. Some often don’t on the first try and sometimes it takes several hours(and another phone call in some cases) before they all do

I read about issue number 2 above before I got my first TiVo. It happened with Comcast, with RCN AND with Verizon FiOS consistently!
    Oh yeah and
    3)Expect to get transferred around before finding someone at Comcast who knows how to properly pair your cable card.
    Once you insert the card into your TiVo after a couple of seconds it will automatically change to a screen which has the information that you will need to give to Comcast in order to pair it, including the phone number to call in order to do that in the upper left corner usually.
    I have the same 1Terabyte Bolt and LOVE IT!!!
  • BlueFox
    Step 1 is complete. It arrived today. It certainly is a lot smaller than my Series 2. I forgot how many years I have been using the Series 2, but it must be 10 or more. I hope the Bolt Vox is as reliable.

6c89q5s23bi1.jpeg
    lx856hl29drn.jpeg
    8wro0f4kywyz.jpeg

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    You need to dust your shelves, Bud!
  • BlueFox
    I do, every couple of months. I have four cats, and the cat litter dust is constant. Never again. LOL

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    FOUR! That is three too many.

Train them to piss and **** outside like dogs!
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited August 2018
    The Bolt VOX has a MUCH FASTER processor than the series two. Also they significantly changed the user interface. Those whom are familiar with Comcast Xfinity’s X-1 interface will say it looks a lot like it. It also has images of the actors in whatever show or movie you have the cursor on when you are looking at the channel guide. Their image is behind the channel guide list of channels. I happen to like it, but apparently not everyone does.
  • BlueFox
    As long as it works, that’s all I want. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • billbillw
    Did you get that cable card paired yet?