Pros and cons of multiple subwoofers

13»

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    4 PSW-150’s in the living room and 2 PSW-200’s in the bedroom. Multiple smaller subs almost always work better than larger ones (exceptions to every rule obviously) These are not expensive subs and I got them on eBay used every one.

I know that, but at the time I was planning on getting mains that would cover the bass frequencies better. Now I’m heading towards the idea of a small set of speakers and two small 6 inch subs or something (like the Polk MicroPro subs, those are 8 inch subs, yes?)

Get a real sub, just sayin'....
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Not sure as I honestly haven’t kept up with Polk’s newer stuff. I say go for it and get as many as you can! ;)
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    4 PSW-150’s in the living room and 2 PSW-200’s in the bedroom. Multiple smaller subs almost always work better than larger ones (exceptions to every rule obviously) These are not expensive subs and I got them on eBay used every one.

I know that, but at the time I was planning on getting mains that would cover the bass frequencies better. Now I’m heading towards the idea of a small set of speakers and two small 6 inch subs or something (like the Polk MicroPro subs, those are 8 inch subs, yes?)

In my room, a “real sub” is like packing 4 1000 watt 18 inch subs in the back of a 90s Honda Civic :lol::wink:
    Ok, maybe a little exaggerated, but the picture still stands. I do have a (at least somewhat) real sub (a Velodyne CHT-10) but it is way too powerful for my room.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640

In my room, a “real sub” is like packing 4 1000 watt 18 inch subs in the back of a 90s Honda Civic :lol::wink:
    Ok, maybe a little exaggerated, but the picture still stands. I do have a (at least somewhat) real sub (a Velodyne CHT-10) but it is way too powerful for my room.

There's what's called a volume knob. As in engines, there's no replacement for displacement.
  • mlistens03

There's what's called a volume knob. As in engines, there's no replacement for displacement.

Like I said before, the volume knob doesn’t turn down enough before it just sits not doing anything at all.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    So then a MicroPro 1000 (or two) may be the way to go for you, @mlistens03, though they seem scarce. Maybe a DSW Pro 440wi or an HTS10?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mlistens03
    polrbehr wrote: »
    So then a MicroPro 1000 (or two) may be the way to go for you, @mlistens03, though they seem scarce. Maybe a DSW Pro 440wi or an HTS10?

Exactly what I was thinking. The HTS-10 might be a little on the large side, but it is certainly a contender.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I always thought multiple were best until I got the SB16 and now I cannot imagine having another one. It’s really balanced as is and imaging has not been negatively affected.but the slam this thing has in my room. OMG
  • Finally getting around to watching Justice League on Blu-Ray. The bass is an order of magnitude better in Dolby True HD than when I saw it on Cable in Dolby Digital !
    DEEPER too >:)
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861

Like I said before, the volume knob doesn’t turn down enough before it just sits not doing anything at all.

Then increase the line in impedance to decrease the incoming signal, or build a secondary in line volume control (simple circuit) so that the sub's preamp has to do some work.
  • mlistens03
    FestYboy wrote: »

Then increase the line in impedance to decrease the incoming signal, or build a secondary in line volume control (simple circuit) so that the sub's preamp has to do some work.

How do I increase the impedance?
    I can give the in line volume control a try, even with my basic knowledge of circuits I can do that one. Just gotta find a volume pot.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Both are the same thing, the first being static, the second being variable.
  • I just use the level settings for the subs in my preamp.
  • Woah! You guys are into "Rocket Science" territory. I just jumped in here to see if there was anything I needed to know to setup and enjoy my "upgrade" to PWS10. Now I feel like cheap idiot. But on the plus side I hooked it up and it really sounds nice. I hooked it up to a new Denon 500 series. I thought I had just spent a lot of money to get some pretty good stuff. We only watch tv (New 4k Visio) and movies on DVD, BluRay. Rarely Music. Going to replace the really cheap RCA HT in a box speakers. Suggestions? Remember cheap, one step above "kit box" speakers, ok maybe two or three? And the Polk is sounding really, really good to me. :p

Thanks, Mike
  • LightEagle wrote: »
    Woah! You guys are into "Rocket Science" territory. I just jumped in here to see if there was anything I needed to know to setup and enjoy my "upgrade" to PWS10. Now I feel like cheap idiot. But on the plus side I hooked it up and it really sounds nice. I hooked it up to a new Denon 500 series. I thought I had just spent a lot of money to get some pretty good stuff. We only watch tv (New 4k Visio) and movies on DVD, BluRay. Rarely Music. Going to replace the really cheap RCA HT in a box speakers. Suggestions? Remember cheap, one step above "kit box" speakers, ok maybe two or three? And the Polk is sounding really, really good to me. :p

Thanks, Mike

@LightEagle
    Welcome to the Rabbit Hol.............I mean FORUM! ;)
  • mlistens03
    LightEagle wrote: »
    Woah! You guys are into "Rocket Science" territory. I just jumped in here to see if there was anything I needed to know to setup and enjoy my "upgrade" to PWS10. Now I feel like cheap idiot. But on the plus side I hooked it up and it really sounds nice. I hooked it up to a new Denon 500 series. I thought I had just spent a lot of money to get some pretty good stuff. We only watch tv (New 4k Visio) and movies on DVD, BluRay. Rarely Music. Going to replace the really cheap RCA HT in a box speakers. Suggestions? Remember cheap, one step above "kit box" speakers, ok maybe two or three? And the Polk is sounding really, really good to me. :p

Thanks, Mike

Polk T series might fit your budget. If you can spend more than that, Polk Signature's would rock. :)
    Welcome to Club Polk!
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    My suggestion would be to scour CL and see what you find. You may be able to get a substantial upgrade over the HTIB for less than you thought.
  • mlistens03
    joecoulson wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to scour CL and see what you find. You may be able to get a substantial upgrade over the HTIB for less than you thought.

This too. Used is the way to go, IMO.
    I thought you had said you wanted to buy new. that's what I get for being tired. :D
  • honestaquarian
    I just talked another sucke.................I mean AUDIOPHILE BUDDY into going from two subs to four.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    I'm wondering what type of mains someone is using that they require 4 subs; minimus 7's? Or are they lucky enough to have a gymnasium sized listening room?
  • honestaquarian
    @motorstereo
    Click on the link at the beginning of this thread. You do not need small speakers and/or a huge room. My living room is about 14x15 and I am using SDA-SRS 3.1TL's as the left and right mains. It ain't about the QUANTITY of the bass. It's all about the QUALITY of the bass. When you spread the reproduction duties out amongst multiple subs spread around the room in order to break up the STANDING WAVES that ALL rooms have as a result of very long wavelengths of low frequencies. These or SO LONG that they are measured in feet and not millimeters like with higher frequencies. Due to the long length of the sound waves of bass frequencies, they interact with the three physical dimensions of the room (ALSO measured in feet) to augment the bass at some frequencies and in some places in the room. They also destroy the bass at some frequencies and in some spots in the room.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    I just talked another sucke.................I mean AUDIOPHILE BUDDY into going from two subs to four.
    ...and that’s (somehow) a problem?

I have 5 very accurate subs. As I posted earlier, one for each corner. The 5th is bigger goes lower serving as CC/LFE sub.

When I move the system into a bigger room w/a 10’ ceiling I will expand to 7 channels & 7 subs - the added surrounds will inherit the LR’s subs. I will DIY the LR subs for sure. I’m undecided on DIY CC/LFE.

Rock on! Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • honestaquarian
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    ...and that’s (somehow) a problem?

I have 5 very accurate subs. As I posted earlier, one for each corner. The 5th is bigger goes lower serving as CC/LFE sub.

When I move the system into a bigger room w/a 10’ ceiling I will expand to 7 channels & 7 subs - the added surrounds will inherit the LR’s subs. I will DIY the LR subs for sure. I’m undecided on DIY CC/LFE.

Rock on! Tony

Ya BASShead ya!! ;)
    You need JESUS! o:)
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Thanks and yes I do understand it's quality over quantity. I've tried the multi-sub approach to eliminate a standing wave I've always had about 6' off the back wall. I found it more effective for me to move out of that small area for critical listening rather than clutter the room with subs. Yes the extra subs may have "fixed" that standing wave but in turn caused problems elsewhere in the room. To each his own and apparently I'm a "non bass head".