What music would you recommend for me?

2»

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Pink Floyd is a group and not an individual. Roger Waters and David Gilmore are the 2 more prominent members, each aslo have solo works out there that you should listen to.

x32bb72rsdaj.jpg

Pink Floyd [the Barber] or Pink Paul [Klipsch]? ;)

qv6wzkqp0c0p.png
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Nobody has mentioned Frank Zappa yet.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Melody Gardot

Norah Jones

Terry Evans

Ry Cooder

Too Many Zooz

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Porcupine Tree

Nine Inch Nails

Ani Di Franco

Patty Larkin

Fiona Apple

Supertramp

Halsey

Lorde

Imagine Dragons

The Doors

Vanessa Rodriguez

Rodrigo y Gabriella

Los Lobos

Bebel Gilberto

Sergio Mendez

Alanis Morissette

Al Di Meola

Jazz at the Pawnshop

Alice in Chains

Bachman-Turner Overdrive
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    chumlie wrote: »

Frank can be a bit much right off the bat, for some, he's an aquired taste, for others, unpalatable. Personally, I'm a big fan, but I'm also a musician, so I believe that helps in appreciating what he's doing, musically. He also has a warped sense of humor ;)
  • mhardy6647

Funny you should mention FZ :)
    I don't remember why any more, but when my son was a young teen, I gave him a copy of a Zappa "greatest hits" (so to speak) album called Strictly Commercial.

And he was never the same ;)
    He became a huge Zappa fan.

So... yeah... maybe Zappa. Either the aforementioned Strictly Commercial or Apostrophe(') both of which are very "accessible" and minimally scatalogical. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Frank was the man!!!
    R.I.P.
  • mhardy6647
    George Grand would be proud to see Micah pick up the FZ torch, methinks :)

xiudvnxlu1nk.png

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Thanks for the recommendations!
    My father has several Frank Zappa records, and although I can tell he is very talented, he just doesn’t move me.
  • mhardy6647
    The Sensational Alex Harvey Band.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2I6-iunbYA

Interesting choice (and I mean that in a good way) :)

I've been dancin' up to the brink of recommending, e.g., Traffic... but they're a little... esoteric sometimes. :p
  • mhardy6647
    that said, howzabout Stevie Winwood solo & acoustic, tryin' to find his way home? :)

https://youtu.be/eoSn2Y-b6wI

or...

https://youtu.be/t8878chOvfI

• chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    If your a fan of blues guitar. Rory Gallagher.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyrBmhDrQo
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Micah,
    PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of mix cd's of some music I enjoy.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Alan Parsons Project are among my faves. Very talented group, with well mastered recordings. IIRC, the I Robot album was on the list of recommended albums from Polk when the SDA technology first emerged from their lineup.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    verb wrote: »
    Alan Parsons Project are among my faves. Very talented group, with well mastered recordings. IIRC, the I Robot album was on the list of recommended albums from Polk when the SDA technology first emerged from their lineup.

... and, for the OP's benefit, Alan Parsons engineered Dark Side of the Moon.
    Coincidence? I think not. :)

c4pbnnctov66.png
  • mlistens03
    Thanks!
    Doc, I listened to The Who this morning, and I was impressed! I’ll be buying that vinyl. Thanks!
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    edited July 2018
    Wow, that's like asking what kind of food do you think I would like. Due to the digital age, you have an unlimited opportunity to find music that you like. A music streaming service will often give recommendations for artists that you might like after you have listened to other artists. My son has turned me on to a lot of cool Indy music through online streaming apps. If you are one of those sonically addicted folks as many here are, you will find your musical taste expand and change over the years. I have no suggestions, just enjoy the buffet. Good luck on your journey :)
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    mlistens03, maybe someone has already suggested this, but you should go to this thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/16043/what-are-you-listening-to#latest

The members here have very good and diverse taste in music. Find an album you haven't heard of from that thread and then search for it on YouTube and give it a listen. That way you aren't spending money on albums you've never heard and may not like. Back in the day when I first started buying CDs, I remember going and buying albums and frequently being disappointed because many only had one good song on the whole CD. You guys have it lucky nowadays. You can stream an entire album for free before buying it. Plus, you'll get to see some good photography/composition skills in some of the photos in the thread I mentioned.
  • mlistens03
    pongshi wrote: »
    Wow, that's like asking what kind of food do you think I would like. Due to the digital age, you have an unlimited opportunity to find music that you like. A music streaming service will often give recommendations for artists that you might like after you have listened to other artists. My son has turned me on to a lot of cool Indy music through online streaming apps. If you are one of those sonically addicted folks as many here are, you will find your musical taste expand and change over the years. I have no suggestions, just enjoy the buffet. Good luck on your journey :)

I’ve tried to use iTunes for that, but since our whole family uses the same account, I mostly get recommendations for electronic music, the rap that I used to listen to, and occasionally the styles of music I enjoy now.
    I do get what you are saying though.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    mlistens03, maybe someone has already suggested this, but you should go to this thread:

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/16043/what-are-you-listening-to#latest

The members here have very good and diverse taste in music. Find an album you haven't heard of from that thread and then search for it on YouTube and give it a listen. That way you aren't spending money on albums you've never heard and may not like. Back in the day when I first started buying CDs, I remember going and buying albums and frequently being disappointed because many only had one good song on the whole CD. You guys have it lucky nowadays. You can stream an entire album for free before buying it. Plus, you'll get to see some good photography/composition skills in some of the photos in the thread I mentioned.

I have yet to check out that thread, mostly because I’ve been really busy for the past few days, I’ll check it out when I haven more time later.
    Thanks!
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    From the brief list of music you seem to like, I would suggest 60’s and 70’s R&B.

James Brown

Spinners

O’Jays

You may also want to try Amazon. You can sample songs, and they recommend other artists also
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    The Black Keys
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Wait, your parents were okay with rap (calling women female dogs and garden utensils, drugs,etc.) but they're against Cannibal Corpse (mostly grotesque violence)?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mlistens03
    edited July 2018
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Wait, your parents were okay with rap (calling women female dogs and garden utensils, drugs,etc.) but they're against Cannibal Corpse (mostly grotesque violence)?

Well, rap as in Christian rap, like Lecrae, KB, Andy Mineo, etc. My parents and I are not ok with most other rap, but there are a few Christian artists who I like to listen to. They are, however, a little more like hip hop than traditional rap.
    Edit: I LIKED to listen to. I don’t enjoy that style of music as much as I did two years ago.
    Post edited by mlistens03 on
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    The Bag raiders

Eric Bibb

Faith no more - specifically the album Angel Dust

LCD Soundsystem

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles
  • mlistens03
    cfrizz wrote: »

My father has a few of their records, and I very much enjoy them. Thanks for the recommendation!
    joecoulson wrote: »
    The Bag raiders

Eric Bibb

Faith no more - specifically the album Angel Dust

LCD Soundsystem

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles

Thanks for the suggestions!
    I haven’t had time to do anything but brief listening throughout the week, but I have some time tonight, tomorrow, and over the weekend, and I’ll be checking out your suggestions! Thanks again!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited July 2018
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Anything by Cannibal Corpse.

Never heard of them until your post, so I ordered some CDs. For whatever reason, I have started liking metal in my old age. However, this guy sings like he has a mouthful of dead flesh. Mumble man. LOL

On the metal theme, I downloaded this today, and love it.

VENUES - Aspire

a9tvoa5qupp5.png

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.