butcher block cutting boards for equipment

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
edited July 2018 in 2 Channel Audio
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156
Post edited by marvda1 on

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    SDA end caps haha.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited July 2018
    This guy's shop is just a few miles from me. He builds some beautiful isolation platforms.
    http://www.timbernation.com/
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited July 2018
    I've debated this but mainly because I could then drill through it and attach my towers to them and then put spikes on them and be good. My towers upstairs are 35lbs a pop and very skinny so they tip easy, even if I put them on spikes. I need a wide base to keep em from tipping.

That said, I'd contact our local resident woodworker Ryan @ZLTFUL to commission some from him. He's got access to all the good stuff and knows what he's doing.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I run a cabinet company and our sister company does granite. I’ve always thought about making some platforms for my gear out of it, just never really followed through.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    DSkip wrote: »
    They're beautiful pieces of furniture. Nothing more. There is no thought in these products about how they can actually influence the sound.

He uses the term isolation platform, but there is nothing isolating about them. They are just slabs of wood with feet on them.

I have always admired the beauty of his products though.

Really? No isolation?

How come it's much harder to hear someone talking being a closed wooden door?

Take a pair of headphones and put one side on one ear, and, on the other side put a piece of the 2, or , 3 inch butcher block over that ear before putting the earphone on. Tell me it doesn't isolate.

Perhaps it doesn't isolate as well, or, at the optimal frequencies as other materials, but, there is some isolation.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    ys3myd0gsobu.jpeg
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    Nice plinth! B)

I have no issues with the products, just the description. I think it sets misleading expectations that even Kerry was hitting on.

I was getting a lot of skips with footfalls in a previous setup and the weight of the butcher block helped tremendously.

In this setup, with the Ginkgo cloud... the butcher block is mostly to look cool. ;)B)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I'd rather use glass and granite :#
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

I'm laying marble over my oak floors, and, lining my walls with glass from floor to ceiling to help bring some high frequencies back that the tubes are lacking. Want to get a bit more of an "etched" sound.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    kharp1 wrote: »

I'm laying marble over my oak floors, and, lining my walls with glass from floor to ceiling to help bring some high frequencies back that the tubes are lacking. Want to get a bit more of an "etched" sound.

That'll have a nice ring to it :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    Rocks and glass always a nice combination
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    none of you know what you are talking about. although a little pricey, bulletproof glass sounds the best. :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Wind chimes hanging right up against your subwoofer = bliss
  • joecoulson
    Wind chimes would turn to glitter in front of my sub
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @marvda1,

I've used Boos Block cutting boards on a couple of speaker stands.

https://www.johnboos.com/product_group.asp?s=c&grp=JBC0051

Have a look.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    They're beautiful pieces of furniture. Nothing more. There is no thought in these products about how they can actually influence the sound.

He uses the term isolation platform, but there is nothing isolating about them. They are just slabs of wood with feet on them.

I have always admired the beauty of his products though.

Agree with Skip. They are massive, heavy, and stiff. Good for minimizing deflection for heavy components, but additional isolation (spikes) would be required. And they are quite nice looking. Many wood species/combinations available.

Easy to modify to the right size if you have a table saw. More cost effective if you buy larger boards.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Save your money. I've got some RTi10s I'll send you.

I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    All kidding aside and certainly not wood is acrylic sheet. Acoustically it is dead as a door nail.
    I use 1 inch thick set on Sorbothane hemispheres for certain components.
    It cuts great on a table saw and with the edges sanded it looks attractive.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2018
    hochpt21 wrote: »

In this setup, with the Ginkgo cloud... the butcher block is mostly to look cool. ;)B)

The Gingko Cloud is the best TT isolation I have ever used.

You've really stepped up on the TT path. Very nice! Isn't it amazing, the difference you hear with a significant TT upgrade?

Slate plinths are great for turntables.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hochpt21
    SCompRacer wrote: »

The Gingko Cloud is the best TT isolation I have ever used.

You've really stepped up on the TT path. Very nice! Isn't it amazing, the difference you hear with a significant TT upgrade?

Slate plinths are great for turntables.

Thanks Rich! I’ve slowly been upgrading pieces but haven’t found the time to post on here about them! Having 3 kids will do that to a guy.

I still have the Pro-Ject you helped me get from Rob. Believe it or not, but I’ve enjoyed it for 5 years already!

Still have some configuring to do and then I’ll start reviewing gear.

You are correct. I didn’t actually expect much, but the Scout surprised me with how much better it sounds. It’s amazing.
  • joecoulson
    Big step from the project to the scout (assuming same cart)?
  • hochpt21
    Different cart so that definitely plays into it. Grado gold to Ortofon 2m Blue. But I also had a Sumiko Blue Point 2 on the Pro-ject at one point, and the whole setup I have now is superior as far as my listening tastes are concerned.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350

You are correct. I didn’t actually expect much, but the Scout surprised me with how much better it sounds. It’s amazing.

Our daughter and niece (whom we were legal guardians for), are all grown up and on their own. Just the wife, me a cat and dog.

Rob lusted for my Nottingham Space 294. When it was time to sell, I took it there and put his cartridge on it. It sounded much better in his system. Then we upped the cartridge. No way I was leaving with it....

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *